Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Had a wiring problem

Old 01-22-2014, 10:22 PM   #1
Trophy Van
LTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
LTDSC's Tacoma Gallery
Had a wiring problem

I installed a LED bar around Christmas time, its been on and working great for some time. Today i smelled some weird electrical smell while driving and figured that couldnt be good. I did some investigating in my console and found this

This is the wire that melted the loom in the pic above. Looks like maybe a diode or whatever got too hot or shorted out.

Now, i know first thing everyone will think is how did you wire your light. I used the drawing i found on here below;

and this one

What exactly would have caused this? Could the diode just go out on me? The switch wont work obviously so im hoping i didnt blow the OEM AUX switch. I know the OEM wiring in the harness is very very tiny, could it just have maxed out the little wiring?

Can i just rewire it with bigger wiring without a diode or whatever is in that wire which melted?

Anyone have any idea?
Old 01-23-2014, 05:39 AM   #2
takern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: marine corps
Name: Tanner
takern's Tacoma Gallery
my first thought is to checl all your grounds for connection or possibly too much corrosion
Old 01-23-2014, 08:30 AM   #3
Trophy Van
LTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LTDSC's Tacoma Gallery
The diode is in the oem wiring. I did a ton of googling last night and its apparently there for oem wiring. As if I was plugging in to factory system. It's so the computer won't overload the switch. But a lot of people instruct to remove the wire with the little diode in it and wire a normal wire and have no issues. Its been hooked up for a month no issue then I was driving with it off and smelled plastic.

Its the red/green wire so its the wire in which leads to the relay.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:12 PM   #4
Trophy Van

LTDSC's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, i figured it out.

First tested all connections, all were good and getting power correctly. I tested the relay and it showed i was getting power at the relay but not to the light bar. I then tested the power wire to the battery and the light worked somewhat so i then looked at the ground. I unhooked where i grounded it and then touched both terminals to the +/- and the bar was fine, lit up like normal.

From there i made a different ground and tested it all and it worked great. So i patched everything back up, set it all up and works great.

My guess is the ground shorted out the diode and the diode burned up protecting the switch. Just glad i figured it out, was beginning to frustrate me.