Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Had a wiring problem

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-22-2014, 10:22 PM   #1
LTDSC [OP] LTDSC is online now
Trophy Van
LTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
LTDSC's Avatar
Name: Sam
Joined: Apr 2013, #101544
Location: Vacaville, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 922
LTDSC's Tacoma Gallery
Had a wiring problem

I installed a LED bar around Christmas time, its been on and working great for some time. Today i smelled some weird electrical smell while driving and figured that couldnt be good. I did some investigating in my console and found this



This is the wire that melted the loom in the pic above. Looks like maybe a diode or whatever got too hot or shorted out.



Now, i know first thing everyone will think is how did you wire your light. I used the drawing i found on here below;



and this one



What exactly would have caused this? Could the diode just go out on me? The switch wont work obviously so im hoping i didnt blow the OEM AUX switch. I know the OEM wiring in the harness is very very tiny, could it just have maxed out the little wiring?

Can i just rewire it with bigger wiring without a diode or whatever is in that wire which melted?

Anyone have any idea?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:39 AM   #2
Senior Member
takern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
takern's Avatar
Marines: marine corps
Name: Tanner
Joined: Aug 2009, #20905
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,361
takern's Tacoma Gallery
my first thought is to checl all your grounds for connection or possibly too much corrosion
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:30 AM   #3
LTDSC [OP] LTDSC is online now
Trophy Van
LTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
LTDSC's Avatar
Name: Sam
Joined: Apr 2013, #101544
Location: Vacaville, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 922
LTDSC's Tacoma Gallery
The diode is in the oem wiring. I did a ton of googling last night and its apparently there for oem wiring. As if I was plugging in to factory system. It's so the computer won't overload the switch. But a lot of people instruct to remove the wire with the little diode in it and wire a normal wire and have no issues. Its been hooked up for a month no issue then I was driving with it off and smelled plastic.

Its the red/green wire so its the wire in which leads to the relay.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:12 PM   #4
LTDSC [OP] LTDSC is online now
Trophy Van
LTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
LTDSC's Avatar
Name: Sam
Joined: Apr 2013, #101544
Location: Vacaville, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 922
LTDSC's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, i figured it out.

First tested all connections, all were good and getting power correctly. I tested the relay and it showed i was getting power at the relay but not to the light bar. I then tested the power wire to the battery and the light worked somewhat so i then looked at the ground. I unhooked where i grounded it and then touched both terminals to the +/- and the bar was fine, lit up like normal.

From there i made a different ground and tested it all and it worked great. So i patched everything back up, set it all up and works great.

My guess is the ground shorted out the diode and the diode burned up protecting the switch. Just glad i figured it out, was beginning to frustrate me.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Used cap wiring problem mastripo 2nd Gen. Tacomas 5 04-30-2013 10:30 AM
I Need Help with Stereo wiring problem! tecate12 Audio & Video 1 11-09-2012 08:39 PM
head unit wiring problem The tacoman Audio & Video 2 12-23-2011 07:21 PM
Help Stereo wiring problem! Codeyota Audio & Video 7 10-11-2011 11:25 AM
Trailer wiring problem? toojayz 2nd Gen. Tacomas 4 05-22-2011 05:37 PM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.