1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Had a wiring problem

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by LTDSC, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Jan 22, 2014 at 9:22 PM
    LTDSC

LTDSC [OP] 32oz of fun

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    NorCal
    I installed a LED bar around Christmas time, its been on and working great for some time. Today i smelled some weird electrical smell while driving and figured that couldnt be good. I did some investigating in my console and found this

[​IMG]

This is the wire that melted the loom in the pic above. Looks like maybe a diode or whatever got too hot or shorted out.

[​IMG]

Now, i know first thing everyone will think is how did you wire your light. I used the drawing i found on here below;

[​IMG]

and this one

[​IMG]

What exactly would have caused this? Could the diode just go out on me? The switch wont work obviously so im hoping i didnt blow the OEM AUX switch. I know the OEM wiring in the harness is very very tiny, could it just have maxed out the little wiring?

Can i just rewire it with bigger wiring without a diode or whatever is in that wire which melted?

Anyone have any idea?

2. Jan 23, 2014 at 4:39 AM
    takern

takern Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    Deckplate mod, sliders, uniden cb, toolbox, dakar leaf pack, in search of coilovers, 255/85 16 bfg m/t waiting to go on
    my first thought is to checl all your grounds for connection or possibly too much corrosion

3. Jan 23, 2014 at 7:30 AM
    LTDSC

LTDSC [OP] 32oz of fun

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    NorCal
    The diode is in the oem wiring. I did a ton of googling last night and its apparently there for oem wiring. As if I was plugging in to factory system. It's so the computer won't overload the switch. But a lot of people instruct to remove the wire with the little diode in it and wire a normal wire and have no issues. Its been hooked up for a month no issue then I was driving with it off and smelled plastic.

Its the red/green wire so its the wire in which leads to the relay.

4. Jan 23, 2014 at 7:12 PM
    LTDSC

LTDSC [OP] 32oz of fun

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    NorCal
    Ok, i figured it out.

First tested all connections, all were good and getting power correctly. I tested the relay and it showed i was getting power at the relay but not to the light bar. I then tested the power wire to the battery and the light worked somewhat so i then looked at the ground. I unhooked where i grounded it and then touched both terminals to the +/- and the bar was fine, lit up like normal.

From there i made a different ground and tested it all and it worked great. So i patched everything back up, set it all up and works great.

My guess is the ground shorted out the diode and the diode burned up protecting the switch. Just glad i figured it out, was beginning to frustrate me.

Products Discussed in

To Top