Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

HOW TO: LED Foglights

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-02-2014, 10:16 AM   #1
jo35 has much to be proud ofjo35 has much to be proud ofjo35 has much to be proud ofjo35 has much to be proud ofjo35 has much to be proud ofjo35 has much to be proud ofjo35 has much to be proud ofjo35 has much to be proud ofjo35 has much to be proud ofjo35 has much to be proud of
Name: Joe
jo35's Tacoma Gallery
HOW TO: LED Foglights

Here are LED Foglights from Tuff Led on amazon. They are very high quality and boy are they bright. I wanted to fit them in my stock foglight holes like this guy did http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...ur-stocks.html, however I wanted more of a plug and play approach which requires no mutilation to stock components. I bought them from this amazon here http://www.amazon.com/Tuff-LED-Light...ights+2+X+4%22 .

Step 1: As you can see, the mounting tab on the bottom of the foglight will not allow it to fit into the stock foglight hole.

I used a hand held saw and cut right throught he lightweight aluminum like so. I held them in a vice with a towel over the lense to prevent breakage.

I ran them over my grinding wheel to smooth the cut out a bit.

Here is the piece that came off.

Step 2: The cutting will leave you with some bare aluminum So i used some black duplicolor touchup paint i had laying around to paint the aluminum. It came out pretty well.

Here is one done and painted and the other with the tab still on.

Now both are cut and painted. You can see the tabs that were cut off beside them

Step 3: The next thing to do is wire the foglights. I bought a pack of two h10 extensions on amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and cut them in half.

I used the female ends and soldered them to the wires of the foglight. Red to red and black to black.

make sure you don't make the cord too long like I did at first because the Male end on your truck reaches all the way up to the foglight, no need for the extra wiring. Here they are on my first attempt... too long but still functional.

I cut them again, shorter this time, stripped the wires, soldered, heatshrinked, wrapped in electrical tape, and then put a wire tube around it to maintain the professional look.

Step 4: Next step is to unplug your stock foglights and test the connection of the new foglight. Make sure they work before proceeding any further.

Step 5: Put your foglight in the hole (wire coming out of the bottom of the foglight towards bottom) and make a mark on each side of the foglight housing where the two stock holes are in the foglight hole. These holes are the two tabs that you press on the stock foglight to get it out.

Step 6: Take your foglights back to the workbench and drill the two holes that you marked on each. Only drill through the outermost shroud. Don't drill all the way through or anything like that.

Step 7: Thread a zip tie through each hole, the thick head end of the zip tie sticking out of the hole you drilled a half inch. Put them into your stock foglight holes and zip tie them in. You can see here how it is done. The circled parts are the zip ties:

The skinny end of the zip tie will come out of the fog light shroud and over to the back of the foglight hole near the connection then wrap around and zip into the thick head of the zip tie where the hole is.
I will post pics soon of what it looks like all done on my truck. Like i said, the beauty of this mod is that nothing is hardwired onto your truck and you can remove these and install your stock fogs again in about 2 minutes flat. No mutilation of your truck required.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:53 AM   #2
jo35 has much to be proud ofjo35 has much to be proud ofjo35 has much to be proud ofjo35 has much to be proud ofjo35 has much to be proud ofjo35 has much to be proud ofjo35 has much to be proud ofjo35 has much to be proud ofjo35 has much to be proud ofjo35 has much to be proud of
jo35's Tacoma Gallery
Here are pics as promised. They are probably 3 times as bright as my stock fogs. Now I just need to get some lifetime Led bulbs for my headlights then I'm good 2 go.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:03 AM   #3
Asianguywithatruk is on a distinguished road
Asianguywithatruk's Tacoma Gallery
Cool mod man. I've been having this idea for a while but never got around to it. One question thought... How the heck do you aim them?
Old 02-02-2014, 11:05 AM   #4
The Sailing Memebr
anders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
anders99's Tacoma Gallery
How bright are they. I read some of the amazon reviews and am kinda skeptical because there are so many 5 stars. So many I think most may be fake.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:06 AM   #5
jo35's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asianguywithatruk View Post
Cool mod man. I've been having this idea for a while but never got around to it. One question thought... How the heck do you aim them?
I haven't aimed mine. The only way to really aim them would be to put a shim on the back of the unit against the stock hole to aim it lower. They cut throught the fog really well, they are just so bright that you don't want to have them on in front of oncoming traffic. Fog is never that bad here in FL so I did it mainly for looks.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:07 AM   #6
jo35's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by anders99 View Post
How bright are they. I read some of the amazon reviews and am kinda skeptical because there are so many 5 stars. So many I think most may be fake.
They are wayyy brighter than I expected. Probably twice as bright as my stock high beams
Old 02-02-2014, 11:09 AM   #7
The Sailing Memebr
anders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
anders99's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo35 View Post
They are wayyy brighter than I expected. Probably twice as bright as my stock high beams
Sweet thanks reason I asked is because there are 126 reviews for the product, 109 are 5 stars. Will have to do this sometime.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:02 PM   #8
Chris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
Chris24's Tacoma Gallery
how many people flash you from this? seems like it would be way too bright for oncoming traffic since the beam can't be aimed or adjusted.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:40 PM   #9
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
This looks cool but would a spot pattern be preferable to the flood pattern for a fog light? I don't know the answer, I'm asking.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:40 PM   #10
your TW web developer!
rondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ronnie
rondog's Tacoma Gallery
Crazy, I just bought a pair of LED lights today for my bumper and I was going to use the existing fog light wires but couldn't figure out what kind of connector it was. Thanks for the amazon link!
Old 12-28-2014, 02:01 PM   #11
88JayPizzle is on a distinguished road
88JayPizzle's Tacoma Gallery
Old 12-29-2014, 06:24 AM   #12
mattvivsound is a splendid one to beholdmattvivsound is a splendid one to beholdmattvivsound is a splendid one to beholdmattvivsound is a splendid one to beholdmattvivsound is a splendid one to beholdmattvivsound is a splendid one to behold
Name: Matt
mattvivsound's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to mattvivsound
photo of the lights 20-30ft from the wall.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:13 AM   #13
HAWAIIAN
808TacoMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed808TacoMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed808TacoMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed808TacoMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed808TacoMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed808TacoMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed808TacoMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed808TacoMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed808TacoMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed808TacoMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed808TacoMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Cyber Transport Systems
Name: Lawson
808TacoMan's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd for output
Old 12-29-2014, 07:17 AM   #14
DCSBMGMORFTMFW
geekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

geekhouse23's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good +1
Old 12-29-2014, 07:21 AM   #15
HAWAIIAN
808TacoMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed808TacoMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed808TacoMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed808TacoMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed808TacoMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed808TacoMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed808TacoMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed808TacoMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed808TacoMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed808TacoMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed808TacoMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Cyber Transport Systems
Name: Lawson
808TacoMan's Tacoma Gallery
OP what is the actual diameter of the lights?
Old 12-29-2014, 01:29 PM   #16
88JayPizzle is on a distinguished road
88JayPizzle's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattvivsound View Post
photo of the lights 20-30ft from the wall.
just headlights on

with fogs on
Old 12-30-2014, 11:39 AM   #17
jo35's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808TacoMan View Post
OP what is the actual diameter of the lights?
The lights are 4" in diameter.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:40 AM   #18
jo35's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88JayPizzle View Post
Wow nice truck. I love the grille! It's cool to see someone doing this. My instructions and pictures paid off!
Old 12-30-2014, 03:18 PM   #19
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
The light output looks great, but they are not fog lights anymore, are they? Driving lights/ flood light perhaps since fog lights are wide (cornering) beams and not long distance.

Thanks for the write up and photos. I was considering HIDs for these weak factory fog 35 watt halogen bulbs just to improve the actual fog cutting and wide beam cornering advantage.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:04 PM   #20
Spacer Hater
n.gardner is one of the sharper tools in the shedn.gardner is one of the sharper tools in the shedn.gardner is one of the sharper tools in the shedn.gardner is one of the sharper tools in the shedn.gardner is one of the sharper tools in the shedn.gardner is one of the sharper tools in the shedn.gardner is one of the sharper tools in the shedn.gardner is one of the sharper tools in the shedn.gardner is one of the sharper tools in the shedn.gardner is one of the sharper tools in the shedn.gardner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Hooah
Name: Nick
n.gardner's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd

Products Discussed in this Thread