Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

What would cause this???

Old 02-11-2014, 08:26 AM   #1
jstarks is on a distinguished road
jstarks's Tacoma Gallery
What would cause this???

Need a little help here,

I recently installed LED Headlights in my 09 tacoma and love the look and output. They look identical to the Lifetime LED's but they are not and I knew that when I bought them.

The problem is that when I turn on the headlights, I get radio interference. I can have an FM station coming in clear as a bell...turn the park lights on and still clear as a bell...turn the headlights on and the radio station now is full of static...turn the headlights off and the radio station is clear as a bell again..

When I first installed, I used double sided tape to mount the control boxes. Thinking that the problem might have been because the boxes were not grounded, I went back and hard mounted the control boxes with screws going into the sheet metal, near the headlights.

Tried again and......BAM...same damn thing!

This weekend I am going to put my stock bulbs back in and see if the interference is there but, I doubt it will be because the only change was the LED Headlights and I didn't have this problem before.

What could be causing this and how can I fix it??

I really like these but not if I can't listen to the radio!

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Old 02-11-2014, 12:38 PM   #2
Edpsx is on a distinguished road
Edpsx's Tacoma Gallery
Must be one heck of a ground loop going if its that bad. Im with you in betting that the stock bulbs will fix the problem. I bet their cheap ballast is causing the hum/static you are experiencing.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:41 PM   #3
Banned
Silverpig is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverpig is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverpig is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverpig is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverpig is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverpig is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverpig is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverpig is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverpig is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverpig is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverpig is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Silverpig's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like a ground problem somewhere. Good luck, I hate odd ball issues
Old 02-11-2014, 01:58 PM   #4
jstarks's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, If there is gonna be an odd-ball issue...I am the one that's going to have it.

It's definitely very strange. It's not really a hum but more like you just clipped half the antennae off. I can still here the radio station but with alot of static....almost like poor reception. Turn the lights off and its back to clear.

Shame too...because I really like the lights.

Oh well.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:47 PM   #5
Banned
Silverpig is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverpig is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverpig is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverpig is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverpig is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverpig is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverpig is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverpig is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverpig is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverpig is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverpig is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Silverpig's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstarks View Post
Yeah, If there is gonna be an odd-ball issue...I am the one that's going to have it.

It's definitely very strange. It's not really a hum but more like you just clipped half the antennae off. I can still here the radio station but with alot of static....almost like poor reception. Turn the lights off and its back to clear.

Shame too...because I really like the lights.

Oh well.
You sure you don't have a VW?
Old 02-11-2014, 04:03 PM   #6
MARANATHA !!!
TheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TheGrayRider's Tacoma Gallery
Did you miss a step during installation ?

I has to be an improper ground

Our VWs beetles had this issue back in the day

What brand ? I'd like to take a look
Old 02-12-2014, 07:01 AM   #7
jstarks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrayRider View Post
Did you miss a step during installation ?

I has to be an improper ground

Our VWs beetles had this issue back in the day

What brand ? I'd like to take a look
These are the ones that I have, although not from this seller.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Awsome-2x-28...ht_4703wt_1108

Only the pictures at the top of the listing.

There were no instructions included and it seems straight forward enough. One end of the wire from the control box has a mating plug on the LED light and the other wire from the control box has a mating plug to the existing headlight harness. The LED itself has a removable mounting flange that mounts where the existing headlight bulb was, install the stock rubber boot over the mounting flange, then re-insert the actual LED into the mounting flange and twist to lock in place. The only thing left to question is the mounting of the control box.

A litte more info is that I do have an aftermarket stereo system in this truck, as well as an aftermarket antenna (car wash took out the stock antenna). Not sure if any of this matters but, want to make sure that I share all parts of the equation.

Some other things to note is that while I have an aftermarket stereo and antenna, NO interference issue existed prior to installing the LED headlights.
Also, it is only the "Tuner" source that is effected. All other sources (CD, USB, Bluetooth) are un-effected.

This weekend I will put the stock bulbs back in and make sure there are no issues. If everything is fine with the stock bulbs, I will try again with the LEDs but this time I will try to run a ground wire from each control box chassis to the battery ground and see if that does anything.
If not, then it's time to break out the sledge hammer and get some redemtion!
Old 02-12-2014, 07:15 AM   #8
whopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: wayne
whopper's Tacoma Gallery
I installed the lifetime LED headlights no static good luck
Old 02-12-2014, 07:29 AM   #9
jstarks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whopper View Post
I installed the lifetime LED headlights no static good luck
Yeah, I hear ya. If I can't get this figured out, I'll try Lifetime or Retro.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:13 AM   #10
Edpsx's Tacoma Gallery
Hmmmmmm, aftermarket antenna? How does that work? Maybe if you isolate the grounds away from each other?
Old 02-12-2014, 11:22 AM   #11
jstarks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edpsx View Post
Hmmmmmm, aftermarket antenna? How does that work? Maybe if you isolate the grounds away from each other?

Not sure what you mean by, "How does that work?" but my original antenna broke off in a car wash so I unscrewed the stub that was remaining and replaced it with one of these.

No new grounds or wiring of any kind involved.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:57 AM   #12
Edpsx's Tacoma Gallery
ah ok, I thought maybe you meant you wired in a new powered antenna or something. Just screwing a new antenna on shouldnt effect it unless the way it was mounted to the fender was with something that isolated it from the metal. Maybe when it broke off it took a washer or something with it?
Old 02-12-2014, 09:29 PM   #13
senn4586 is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
senn4586's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstarks View Post
Need a little help here,

I recently installed LED Headlights in my 09 tacoma and love the look and output. They look identical to the Lifetime LED's but they are not and I knew that when I bought them.

The problem is that when I turn on the headlights, I get radio interference. I can have an FM station coming in clear as a bell...turn the park lights on and still clear as a bell...turn the headlights on and the radio station now is full of static...turn the headlights off and the radio station is clear as a bell again..

When I first installed, I used double sided tape to mount the control boxes. Thinking that the problem might have been because the boxes were not grounded, I went back and hard mounted the control boxes with screws going into the sheet metal, near the headlights.

Tried again and......BAM...same damn thing!

This weekend I am going to put my stock bulbs back in and see if the interference is there but, I doubt it will be because the only change was the LED Headlights and I didn't have this problem before.

What could be causing this and how can I fix it??

I really like these but not if I can't listen to the radio!

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
It's the ballast itself. I had the same problem and when I went with different ballast the noise was gone. I eventually went with something completely different but the humming you are experiencing is the ballast. If you have extra ballast try switching them out and have the low beams on only. Guarantee that the humming will be gone with a different ballast.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:05 AM   #14
jlm4655 is on a distinguished road
Army: 18B3V
jlm4655's Tacoma Gallery
Jorge here in Tidewater VA,

I'm having the exact same issue with my '04 Taco with the Lifetime LED. Mine also had no instructions.
What's a Ballast?