1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BLHM paint problems

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by BakerTaco, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Feb 14, 2014 at 12:33 PM
    BakerTaco

BakerTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Lower Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2006 4x4 SR5
    Black UWS Toolbox, Window Tint, Weathertech mats, OME lift: 885x coils, top plate spacer, OME shocks all around, 2 inch AAL driver side trim packer, Toytec diff drop, Grillcraft, Colormatched grille, CHLM, 6000k HIDs - headlights and fogs, Smittybilt shackle hitch, ARB snatch strap, Pioneer avic x940bt headunit,
    I need someone's help. I'm retrofitting and paint has slowed me down tremendously. After 4 cans of Krylon Fusion, I'm giving up on it. The satin comes out just as glossy as the gloss. They're also orange peely because the paint comes out in globs. I want a flat black finish. What paint do I use now that Krylon is out of the picture? And if I use another type of paint, should I use an adhesion promoter

2. Feb 14, 2014 at 1:36 PM
    BakerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Lower Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2006 4x4 SR5
    Black UWS Toolbox, Window Tint, Weathertech mats, OME lift: 885x coils, top plate spacer, OME shocks all around, 2 inch AAL driver side trim packer, Toytec diff drop, Grillcraft, Colormatched grille, CHLM, 6000k HIDs - headlights and fogs, Smittybilt shackle hitch, ARB snatch strap, Pioneer avic x940bt headunit,
    helppppp

3. Feb 14, 2014 at 2:16 PM
    trdspectacoma

trdspectacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    B.I Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    13 dCab preRunner
    how cold are you painting at. it might be tooo cold. also which krylon are you using semi gloos?

4. Feb 14, 2014 at 2:23 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    I'd be worried about painting over the fusion..... Sometimes 2 paints, even 1 brand primer and another brand paint can react with each other and peel.

I've always used the krylon fusion and then baked them. They have always turned out flat black.

5. Feb 14, 2014 at 2:25 PM
    trdspectacoma

trdspectacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    B.I Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    13 dCab preRunner
    same here. If it is coming out in clumps then its probably too cold.

if your are going to try to keep on painting then you might want to strip everything down and start over.

6. Feb 14, 2014 at 2:43 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Also, it sounds like your putting on too heavy... light coats are better.

7. Feb 14, 2014 at 2:54 PM
    InSight Retrofits

InSight Retrofits Closed

Member:
    Krylon fusion satin DOES come out semi gloss
    8275DAE5-A5F2-4489-B262-46134380CED5_zps_231464031402fd9ec8b8a210fed6a47cc32b07f2.jpg

If you want FLAT BLACK like Amb1guous does, you will probably have to just use black primer, because it will come out flat.

photo4-2_zps4e8664e0_d4fd5ac3fc503a6f5d35f7d5e71298bd87b3d7d8.jpg

I actually prefer the look of the semi gloss

Fenwick1993 likes this.
  8. Feb 15, 2014 at 2:30 AM
    TRSAndrew

TRSAndrew Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    22 T4R Sport 6V7
    Doing mine SUPER glossy black ftw

9. Feb 15, 2014 at 1:41 PM
    BakerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Lower Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2006 4x4 SR5
    It was definitely the Krylon. 4 cans of Krylon fusion satin black and they all sprayed like water guns. I sanded it down and used a flat black 2 in one rustoleum today and it looks very good. And temperature isn't a problem. It's been around 50-60 degrees every time I paint

10. Feb 16, 2014 at 1:36 PM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    Satin finish will not be flat, no matter the conditions or how it comes out of the can. Satin has a luster to it. If you want a flat finish use flat black primer.

11. Feb 17, 2014 at 6:35 PM
    ncooper

ncooper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB TRD SPORT 4x4
    5100's @ 1.75, ride rite airbags, borla exhaust, headlight retrofit
    After tons of research before starting my retrofit I also decided to go with the Krylon Fusion Satin Black, it will come out like semi gloss. I scuffed my reflectors lightly with a super fine grit then cleaned them up with warm soapy water and dried. I used two light coats of adhesion promoter and let it dry according to the directions on the can. When I started my initial coat and every coat after of Krylon, I would spray it against a cardboard box to make sure the spray came out clean, I had a spray nozzle partially clog once and it made it spray clumpy. After each coat I would place the part in the oven around 150 and let it bake for about 30 minutes, I did this a total of four times and the final product came out perfect. Very important to make sure it's at least 60 outside before painting or the finish will come out terrible. When I started my project it was so cold outside I had to run a heater in my garage to warm the place up, I would spray, throw the part in the oven, air the garage out, warm it up again, and repeat. Thinking about it now, I warmed the spray paint cans up in the oven also for a short period of time on extremely low heat since they had been sitting in the cold garage. If it's flat your looking for just use a black primer, that's what a friend of mine did and his came out looking good.

20131205_150840.jpg

SPIN Offroad likes this.
  12. Apr 30, 2016 at 8:30 AM
    SPIN Offroad

SPIN Offroad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    SPIN
    Asheville NC
    Vehicle:
    Black 2014 DCSB TRD Off-Road "TAKEESHA"
    3" toytec suspension lift/1" Toytec body lift, In-channel AVS vent shades, tinted front windows, OEM color matched grill surround, plastidipped front badge & rear bumper, Debadged emblems + All LED interior+vanity& tag lights. Third tail light TRD black matte overlay, Aftermarket 6K HID projector headlights, Smittybilt D-shackle in receiver hitch slot, 17" FUEL Vapor wheels 285/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers, Weathertech floorliners w/TRD OFFROAD decals, 3" NFAB textured nerf bars, DEPO black tail lights. black on black perforated leather Clazzio seat covers with custom TRD headrests. TO BE CONTINUED...
    Bump old thread! ncooper Did u bake after finishing each coat while still wet or let dry then bake 30 min?

Products Discussed in

To Top