Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

BLHM paint problems

Old 02-14-2014, 12:33 PM   #1
BakerTaco will become famous soon enough

Name: Will
BakerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
BLHM paint problems

I need someone's help. I'm retrofitting and paint has slowed me down tremendously. After 4 cans of Krylon Fusion, I'm giving up on it. The satin comes out just as glossy as the gloss. They're also orange peely because the paint comes out in globs. I want a flat black finish. What paint do I use now that Krylon is out of the picture? And if I use another type of paint, should I use an adhesion promoter
Old 02-14-2014, 02:16 PM   #3
trdspectacoma is on a distinguished road
trdspectacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerTaco View Post
helppppp
how cold are you painting at. it might be tooo cold. also which krylon are you using semi gloos?
Old 02-14-2014, 02:23 PM   #4
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
I'd be worried about painting over the fusion..... Sometimes 2 paints, even 1 brand primer and another brand paint can react with each other and peel.

I've always used the krylon fusion and then baked them. They have always turned out flat black.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:25 PM   #5
trdspectacoma is on a distinguished road
trdspectacoma's Tacoma Gallery
same here. If it is coming out in clumps then its probably too cold.

if your are going to try to keep on painting then you might want to strip everything down and start over.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:54 PM   #7
A7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
A7xschecter6661's Tacoma Gallery
Krylon fusion satin DOES come out semi gloss

If you want FLAT BLACK like Amb1guous does, you will probably have to just use black primer, because it will come out flat.

I actually prefer the look of the semi gloss
Old 02-15-2014, 02:30 AM   #8
PMs = Not good for TRS Questions
AndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewTRS's Tacoma Gallery
Doing mine SUPER glossy black ftw
Old 02-15-2014, 01:41 PM   #9
BakerTaco will become famous soon enough

Name: Will
BakerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
It was definitely the Krylon. 4 cans of Krylon fusion satin black and they all sprayed like water guns. I sanded it down and used a flat black 2 in one rustoleum today and it looks very good. And temperature isn't a problem. It's been around 50-60 degrees every time I paint
Old 02-17-2014, 06:35 PM   #11
ncooper is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard:
Name: Nick
ncooper's Tacoma Gallery
After tons of research before starting my retrofit I also decided to go with the Krylon Fusion Satin Black, it will come out like semi gloss. I scuffed my reflectors lightly with a super fine grit then cleaned them up with warm soapy water and dried. I used two light coats of adhesion promoter and let it dry according to the directions on the can. When I started my initial coat and every coat after of Krylon, I would spray it against a cardboard box to make sure the spray came out clean, I had a spray nozzle partially clog once and it made it spray clumpy. After each coat I would place the part in the oven around 150 and let it bake for about 30 minutes, I did this a total of four times and the final product came out perfect. Very important to make sure it's at least 60 outside before painting or the finish will come out terrible. When I started my project it was so cold outside I had to run a heater in my garage to warm the place up, I would spray, throw the part in the oven, air the garage out, warm it up again, and repeat. Thinking about it now, I warmed the spray paint cans up in the oven also for a short period of time on extremely low heat since they had been sitting in the cold garage. If it's flat your looking for just use a black primer, that's what a friend of mine did and his came out looking good.
Attached Thumbnails
BLHM paint problems-20131205_150840.jpg