1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rigid Dually or D2 as driving light?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Streakshot12, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Feb 14, 2014 at 7:44 PM
    Streakshot12

Streakshot12 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Layton
    Overland Park, KS
    Vehicle:
    02 SR5 ext. cab
    retrofit hid with projectors and shrouds from TRS deckplate mod pioneer double din HU Rockford Fosgate t1500-bd amp powering Orion HCCA 12.2 woofer in a custom ported enclosure made by me Kenwood xr400-4 powering Polk MM components and MM coaxials Bilstein 5100 all around Toytec AAL in rear Eibach 600# coils Trail gear front bumper 2 RI Dually D2's in grill (yellow and amber lenses) 42" OKLED light bar up top
    Hi guys, I'm almost certain I've seen this question pop up in other threads for RI, but after searching through them and other options I still haven't found my answer. If you know the thread, please send me there, otherwise please answer here.
    I am wanting to add a fog light/driving light to my first gen. I already have retrofitted HIDs and projectors and these do very well, but I am wanting something that illuminates closer up and is good for snow/rain/fog. I am looking at getting the flush mount D2 in AMBER, not white. If I was to slightly aim these downward would they be too bright to use all the time? My plan was to put them either in the lower valence or in the bumper itself (as shown in the rigid flush mount install video) and wire them to my parking/driving lights. This way whenever my headlights are on they are on as well

2. Feb 14, 2014 at 7:53 PM
    Streakshot12

Streakshot12 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Layton
    Overland Park, KS
    Vehicle:
    02 SR5 ext. cab
    retrofit hid with projectors and shrouds from TRS deckplate mod pioneer double din HU Rockford Fosgate t1500-bd amp powering Orion HCCA 12.2 woofer in a custom ported enclosure made by me Kenwood xr400-4 powering Polk MM components and MM coaxials Bilstein 5100 all around Toytec AAL in rear Eibach 600# coils Trail gear front bumper 2 RI Dually D2's in grill (yellow and amber lenses) 42" OKLED light bar up top
    Thank you for the fast answer. What would you suggest for my needs then?

3. Feb 23, 2014 at 4:04 PM
    Streakshot12

Streakshot12 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Layton
    Overland Park, KS
    Vehicle:
    02 SR5 ext. cab
    Bump. Anyone?

4. Feb 23, 2014 at 4:07 PM
    AaronArf

AaronArf Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    VA Beach
    Vehicle:
    2023 LR OR DCSB
    Not too bright. It all depends on how you angle them. I have a set of D2 ambers waiting to go in my plate bumper.

5. Feb 23, 2014 at 4:47 PM
    Streakshot12

Streakshot12 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Layton
    Overland Park, KS
    Vehicle:
    02 SR5 ext. cab
    Are you going to be running them all time? I'm actually going with the OKLED version to save some money. I doubt they will be as bright especially once aimed correctly. I Don't know if you saw or not but I'm hoping to wire them into my parking lights so I can avoid a separate switch, still think they'll be ok? Also, spot over flood in this instance, correct?

6. Feb 23, 2014 at 5:02 PM
    cdj1

cdj1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint
    Vidalia, GA
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma
    King Extended travel coilovers, 5100 Shocks, Daystar shackles,OME Leaf Springs,255/85/16, front diff drop, RAT skid plates, 4.56 gears, LSD in rear, Aussie locker in the front, Front Range Offroad twin sticks, trail gear/ Bash Fab rear bumper, elite off road front bumper and sliders, warn m8000 winch, in cab winch control
    I have D2 driving lights. I would say way too bright for oncoming traffic unless you point them straight at the ground. The beam has a wide pattern on the top and bottom

Never mind. Mine are dually's.

7. Feb 23, 2014 at 5:07 PM
    Streakshot12

Streakshot12 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Layton
    Overland Park, KS
    Vehicle:
    02 SR5 ext. cab
    Ok so 1 yes and 2 no's for the idea. Any others wanna chime in or give an alternative

8. Feb 23, 2014 at 5:08 PM
    AaronArf

AaronArf Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    VA Beach
    Vehicle:
    2023 LR OR DCSB
    LED's don't draw all that much, but if you think you might overload the circuit you can run a relay and use the parking light wires as the trigger and run a seperate dedicated power wire. Then it'll all run off the factory switch. I plan on having my D2 Ambers on all the time. Floods over spot especially if your using them as driving lights.

We're talking amber here, makes a huge difference IMO. I have both White and Amber D2's.

9. Feb 23, 2014 at 5:21 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I would say they're too bright for use with oncoming traffic. They would be fine for road use when the weather is bad but just not when there is other traffic around. Also, you used fog/driving light but they are very different. Fog patterns are wide and don't throw very far, driving lights are narrow and meant for distance. I have a set of D2's that are going on my truck and they will be strictly for desolate back roads when no one is around.

10. Feb 23, 2014 at 5:35 PM
    Streakshot12

Streakshot12 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Layton
    Overland Park, KS
    Vehicle:
    02 SR5 ext. cab
    All I want is good usable light. I'm not trying to reach the moon, I have a 42" bar on the way for that, which obviously will be used strictly off road. I just need something that I can use at all times but serves well enough in inclement weather as well. I've used the fogs Walmart sells in the past and once my headlights were on I never noticed they were on

11. Feb 23, 2014 at 5:53 PM
    Streakshot12

Streakshot12 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Layton
    Overland Park, KS
    Vehicle:
    02 SR5 ext. cab

Products Discussed in

To Top