Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

why do our stock headlights appear more brilliant than others?

Old 03-01-2014, 11:08 PM   #1
jro1 is on a distinguished road

Name: jesse
jro1's Tacoma Gallery
why do our stock headlights appear more brilliant than others?

while driving at night I seem to get flashed by other drivers while cruising with my low beams on! I had a tundra behind me one night at an intersection, and his lights were almost blinding and annoying in my driver side mirror! was wondering if our lights were positioned in a way to appear brighter than normal?
Old 03-01-2014, 11:15 PM   #2
Wombat
romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedromeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedromeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedromeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedromeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedromeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedromeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedromeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedromeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedromeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedromeo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Mechanic/Security
Name: Luis
romeo's Tacoma Gallery
those people flashing you were complimenting you on a great choice of vehicle.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:26 PM   #3

jro1's Tacoma Gallery
Ahh, I knew it!
Old 03-01-2014, 11:27 PM   #4
Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!
AvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
AvsFanTRD's Tacoma Gallery
probably just need to adjust the height at which they shine. Can be done with a screwdriver.

After I installed the 5100 i never adjusted the headlight height and get the occasional flash because people think the brights are on.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:30 PM   #5

jro1's Tacoma Gallery
I have a leveling kit, might that have something to do with it?
Old 03-01-2014, 11:32 PM   #6
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jro1 View Post
Eureka!
Old 03-01-2014, 11:33 PM   #7
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jro1 View Post
if you didn't adjust your headlights down, your phaselights are now set to stun instead of see
Old 03-01-2014, 11:36 PM   #8

jro1's Tacoma Gallery
Frick! no wonder, I have been blinding people for the last two years...mainly squirrels and low flying aircraft!
Old 03-02-2014, 02:47 AM   #9
Senior Injector
Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rusty Shackleford
Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
I noticed this when I was stock height, so I don't think the phenomena is limited to lifted Tacomas.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:56 AM   #10
eaglesfn5402 has much to be proud ofeaglesfn5402 has much to be proud ofeaglesfn5402 has much to be proud ofeaglesfn5402 has much to be proud ofeaglesfn5402 has much to be proud ofeaglesfn5402 has much to be proud ofeaglesfn5402 has much to be proud ofeaglesfn5402 has much to be proud ofeaglesfn5402 has much to be proud of

Army: SPC
Name: Cory
eaglesfn5402's Tacoma Gallery
I got flashed at stock height and get flashed now while lifted. They flash me and I flick the high beams on to show them how bright the lights really are. I can't wait to get an led light bar then the fun will really begin.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:40 AM   #11
A7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
A7xschecter6661's Tacoma Gallery
The foglights are bright because there is no cutoff.

Our stock lights are very good though and have a nice cutoff

Old 03-07-2014, 05:30 PM   #12
TacoFlavouredKiss is on a distinguished road

Name: Kevin
TacoFlavouredKiss's Tacoma Gallery
I get flashed sometimes too and im not talking about the ladies.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:34 PM   #13
Negative Ghostrider
JdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Josh
JdevTac's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't been flashed in a long time, though I always am on the watch for oncoming traffic to give me a flash lol.

On a side note I have seen plenty a Tacoma drive by (05-current headlights) and not once have I ever thought their lights were blinding me. Yeah I know I am not a car but seriously even looking right into the beam is not that bad. The real low cars are the ones that get the worst and give you the brights but you can't appease everyone and still preserve a safe beam pattern.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:37 PM   #14
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JdevTac View Post
I haven't been flashed in a long time, though I always am on the watch for oncoming traffic to give me a flash lol.

On a side note I have seen plenty a Tacoma drive by (05-current headlights) and not once have I ever thought their lights were blinding me. Yeah I know I am not a car but seriously even looking right into the beam is not that bad. The real low cars are the ones that get the worst and give you the brights but you can't appease everyone and still preserve a safe beam pattern.
OP, put on a leveling kit that raised the front end. Of course he is now projecting higher than stock, and getting flashed.

Yes you can preserve a safe beam pattern and not blind drivers with low cars.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:40 PM   #15
Negative Ghostrider
JdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Josh
JdevTac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
OP, put on a leveling kit that raised the front end. Of course he is now projecting higher than stock, and getting flashed.

Yes you can preserve a safe beam pattern and not blind drivers with low cars.
I was making a general statement about my headlight experience, nothing about OP's. If you were responding about the leveling kit to what I said that is.

I'd rather have an OEM factory pattern than lower it and lose some light further on down the road is what I should have said. I have had the dealer double-check and even I have checked my beam pattern and it is where it should be. People have different tolerances of light.

On a side note ive been curious on output on the 05-11 vs 12+.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:45 AM   #16
Can't re-MEMBER
ZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ED
ZEROPILOT's Tacoma Gallery
I've got my floodlights wired with a relay through my high beams, so when I answer them back, they know for sure!
Old 03-10-2014, 03:04 AM   #17
thie-trickster
ducati has much to be proud ofducati has much to be proud ofducati has much to be proud ofducati has much to be proud ofducati has much to be proud ofducati has much to be proud ofducati has much to be proud ofducati has much to be proud of

Name: Chris
ducati's Tacoma Gallery
[TOT E=JdevTac;8319444]I haven't been flashed in a long time, though I always am on the watch for oncoming traffic to give me a flash lol.

On a side note I have seen plenty a Tacoma drive by (05-current headlights) and not once have I ever thought their lights were blinding me. Yeah I know I am not a car but seriously even looking right into the beam is not that bad. The real low cars are the ones that get the worst and give you the brights but you can't appease everyone and still preserve a safe beam pattern.[/QUOTE]

Haha, glad to hear I'm not the only one ready to bit the brights as soon as I get flashed. Its fun to light them up.