1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

RGB Led color Changing light strips, Are they worth the money?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by BW2000Taco, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Mar 3, 2014 at 5:59 AM
    BW2000Taco

BW2000Taco [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brantley
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    DDM Tuning 5K Hid, Led Light Strips in various places, tinted corner lights & blinkers & 3rd brake light & tail lights, All Blue Led interior lights.
    Just wondering about the RGB light strips. Are they worth the money? Where is the best place to order one at?

2. Mar 3, 2014 at 6:02 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    I order mine from a supplier I have on eBay. I pay about $25 for a 5 meter long roll, with controller. Personally I like them. I use them as bed lights and for fun. Depends on what your plans are for them I guess.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Mar 3, 2014 at 8:49 AM
    BW2000Taco

BW2000Taco [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brantley
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    DDM Tuning 5K Hid, Led Light Strips in various places, tinted corner lights & blinkers & 3rd brake light & tail lights, All Blue Led interior lights.
    Thanks bud. I basically wanted them for either bed lights or under glow.

4. Mar 3, 2014 at 10:16 AM
    doughboy

doughboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    norcal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    hid head lights, hid fog lights, always on fog lights, bed lights
    You can get IP68 (enclosed in plastic tube) waterproof 5M rgb strip with 24 key remote control for $16.54 here
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-..._Lights_Fairy_Lights&var=&hash=item43c1eea934

With the remote control, you can control the light color (single fixed color that you choose, or just run some pre-programmed color changes, and you can control the speed of the color changes).

Since you will need to cut the strip, you can either solder the jumper wires, or get this kind of jumper wires between two strips
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/360678323284?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

You can shop around and save yourself some $, or just pay someone $50 or more to basically do the ebay shopping for you.

5. Mar 3, 2014 at 12:01 PM
    Chris24

Chris24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Black DCSB TRD Sport, V6, 6sp
    I have a strip with the 3M backing under my bed rails and its stuck for 2 years with no issues...but I also have a cover on the bed. I got mine from Amazon, there are a lot on there.

I was thinking of a strip for under the truck but im worried about how the adhesive would hold up to water...wouldn't be good if it came loose and the strip got ripped out from under the truck on the highway, lol.

6. Mar 3, 2014 at 1:20 PM
    DirtJumper14

DirtJumper14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD OR
    5100's, BDF grills and light bracket, big 3 upgrade, ATH bed braces, snugtop xtra vision shell, (bed, shell, hood, rock, front, rear, footwell, glove box, center console led lighting), MESO Gasshole, MESO dome and map lights, Flyeyez center console light, custom fuse panel, TRD CAI, toyota bed mat, 2013 black carpet, 2015 side mirrors, BedRug, AJT key fob, ultraguage, 8 cadillac horns acdf, pop n lock tailgate lock, energy suspension bushings, spicer greasable ujoints, Rigid lights everywhere, kenwood stereo, led tube taillights (red), 2018 T4R trail wheels, rokblok mud flaps, TRD skid plate, RCi gas tank skid plate
    If you use the 3m double sided foam tape it will hold under the truck. Have had some area/access led strip lights attached to frame for almost a year. No signs of coming off at all even with the hot summer and washing twice a month.

[​IMG]

7. Mar 3, 2014 at 1:41 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Just be sure that you don't run them with the truck on the road. Certain colors, or flashing colors will get you pulled over FAST. lol.

Personally I would go with the IP65 over the IP68. The 65 is totally sealed and you don't have to worry ANY about submerging in water. I have seen too many of the IP68 sleeves leak.

8. Mar 3, 2014 at 7:51 PM
    Jackalope33b

Jackalope33b Well-Known Member

Member:
    I got (3) 5m rolls off ebay for $30 total shipped.. This included a controller for each set of lights. No issues at all very bright and are great Xmas lights for outside the house

9. Mar 4, 2014 at 8:08 AM
    JPB1993

JPB1993 New Member

Member:
    These lights work great from ebay. I actually used them for cornhole boards, undercabinet lighting, and vehicle lighting. They sell waterproof versions of these strips. I would go with those considering it will probably extend the life quite a bit. The most important thing to look for though is that the led's EACH do 3 colors instead of them just placing a red led on the strip, then next to it a blue led, then a green led. The color looks AWEFUL unless all 3 colors are in ONE led.

10. Mar 4, 2014 at 8:14 AM
    Navar

Navar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Corona CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    Washed it, Icon suspension, Icon UCA
    Disco on wheels lol. to each their own.

Products Discussed in