Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Aux. Reverse lights on with toggle?

Old 03-28-2009, 09:54 PM   #1
The Not So New guy
ComaTosin has a spectacular aura aboutComaTosin has a spectacular aura aboutComaTosin has a spectacular aura about

Name: Drew
ComaTosin's Tacoma Gallery
Aux. Reverse lights on with toggle?

I have ordered some aux back up lights that I would like to wire to switch on when the truck is in reverse. I would also like to use these lights for utility lights when loading/unloading motorcycles ect. (obviiously truck is on park when this happens....
here are the ones i ordered - to be mounted under the bumper somewhere.

can anyone send me detailed instructions on how i would go about this? and any additional relays etc that it will require? how about a site for cool switches to be mounted in stock locations? the lights come with some wiring and relay. BTW -
thanks

http://www.roundeyes.com/Products-Reverse_Lighting.html

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Licens/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Licens/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-29-2009, 12:56 PM   #2
The Not So New guy
ComaTosin has a spectacular aura aboutComaTosin has a spectacular aura aboutComaTosin has a spectacular aura about

bump...
no one?
Old 03-29-2009, 01:02 PM   #3
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
I put reverse lamps on my 02, used a cheap pair of off road lights I got from Harbor Freight for 20 bucks (if I bust them on a rock who cares).

Ran a 14GA wire off the battery positive, through an in-line fuse, then under the truck to the rear. Hooked that to one side of the switched circuit on a 30 amp relay. Other side of the switched circuit I ran to the new reverse (off road lamps).

For the relay circuit one side was run to ground, the other I used one of those squeeze on taps and hooked it to the hot wire going to the existing reverse lights.

Very basic if you've ever done any wiring...if not and need more help just let us know.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:15 PM   #4
The Not So New guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerNameIsLucy View Post
I put reverse lamps on my 02, used a cheap pair of off road lights I got from Harbor Freight for 20 bucks (if I bust them on a rock who cares).

Ran a 14GA wire off the battery positive, through an in-line fuse, then under the truck to the rear. Hooked that to one side of the switched circuit on a 30 amp relay. Other side of the switched circuit I ran to the new reverse (off road lamps).

For the relay circuit one side was run to ground, the other I used one of those squeeze on taps and hooked it to the hot wire going to the existing reverse lights.

Very basic if you've ever done any wiring...if not and need more help just let us know.
that must be why no replies... I might have some questions later. I will pm if so as this seems a bit elementary for folks here. thanks man
Old 03-29-2009, 03:21 PM   #5
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComaTosin View Post
that must be why no replies... I might have some questions later. I will pm if so as this seems a bit elementary for folks here. thanks man
It's just been an unusually slow day here at TW. There's a bunch of people here that can help with this! They're just off wheeling or drinkin beers and watching the race or something.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:53 PM   #6
jward2331 is a splendid one to beholdjward2331 is a splendid one to beholdjward2331 is a splendid one to beholdjward2331 is a splendid one to beholdjward2331 is a splendid one to beholdjward2331 is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Aviation
jward2331's Tacoma Gallery
Go to the dealership and order one of these switches. They are an OEM (Toyota, not sure what kind of vehicle but everyone is using it to fit in one the blanks in dash. I used one so far for some driving lights I installed but don't have a pic right now. Just do a search up in the "task bar" on TW and you will see a buch of threads with pics of the switch)

PN 00550-35976
Old 03-29-2009, 03:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jward2331 View Post
Go to the dealership and order one of these switches. They are an OEM (Toyota, not sure what kind of vehicle but everyone is using it to fit in one the blanks in dash. I used one so far for some driving lights I installed but don't have a pic right now. Just do a search up in the "task bar" on TW and you will see a buch of threads with pics of the switch)

PN 00550-35976
That won't turn the added on lights on when he puts it in reverse. Gotta use a relay for that.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:01 PM   #8
06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Colin
06BLUEDBLSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
I have this, i think it was either 15 or 25 dollars at autozone, its pretty bright and you can switch it on or switch to the mode where it goes on when the truck is in reverse
Old 03-30-2009, 11:26 AM   #9
[eric] is on a distinguished road
Name: Eric
[eric]'s Tacoma Gallery
i have been thinking about this a lot for my own truck. I was thinking along the lines of getting smaller round lights and drilling two hole into the rear bump where the lights would sit flush. I am just not sure how to securely attach these where they will not slip out or rattle.

i am a noob at wiring. i was thinking about just splitting into the existing wiring that the oem reverse lights run off. I was hoping this way they would only come on during reverse. Has anyone done it this way?
Old 03-30-2009, 01:32 PM   #10
The Not So New guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06BLUEDBLSPORT View Post
I have this, i think it was either 15 or 25 dollars at autozone, its pretty bright and you can switch it on or switch to the mode where it goes on when the truck is in reverse
Yeah, but then I can not use the trick lights I just bought.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:55 PM   #11
[eric] is on a distinguished road
Name: Eric
[eric]'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComaTosin View Post
Yeah, but then I can not use the trick lights I just bought.

ha. what you got is a lot easier to install too. whats it called so i can try to look it up on autozones website? do worry at all about someone stealing it?
Old 03-31-2009, 07:43 AM   #12
lasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant future
Navy: Lead PO Submarine Reactor Control Dvision
lasllc's Tacoma Gallery
You might try this link to picture what folkes are talking about here.

http://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech/...ghts/corey.htm

Just modify the diagram to go to reverse lights and run two power leads (also need two relays) to the lamps: one that supplies the lamps from the a relay that is activated by the reverse light power and one that is activated by the swtch in the cab.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:02 AM   #13
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
this is what i did on mine. I used the holes that were already in the bumper and wired them into my normal reverse lights

Old 03-31-2009, 08:23 AM   #14
I love tight cracks
climber-420 is a jewel in the roughclimber-420 is a jewel in the roughclimber-420 is a jewel in the rough

climber-420's Tacoma Gallery
TTORA Forum > General Tech > Interior/Electrical/Electronics aux backup/reverse lights wiring -- a mini howto
all of this done by Wrooster.

I used this and it was dead on. I have a double pole single throw switch wird into my stock reverse lights. I have the switch turned where I can have them on all the time, off, and on when the stock reverse lights come on only. I got these two lights from Northern Tool for $11. Total cost for all of this...... about $20, depending on the switch you get from radioshack, or store of preference. Hoped this helped.In the picture, you can see that I put the lights on my trailer hitch as far out as they could go. Used self tapping screws from Lowe's, and just grounded them where the screw is on the outside of the light where the mount is. Have had no problems, and these suckers are really bright. 55w halogens.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:05 PM   #15
krans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud of

Name: Kenny
krans's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber-420 View Post
TTORA Forum > General Tech > Interior/Electrical/Electronics aux backup/reverse lights wiring -- a mini howto
all of this done by Wrooster.

I used this and it was dead on. I have a double pole single throw switch wird into my stock reverse lights. I have the switch turned where I can have them on all the time, off, and on when the stock reverse lights come on only. I got these two lights from Northern Tool for $11. Total cost for all of this...... about $20, depending on the switch you get from radioshack, or store of preference. Hoped this helped.In the picture, you can see that I put the lights on my trailer hitch as far out as they could go. Used self tapping screws from Lowe's, and just grounded them where the screw is on the outside of the light where the mount is. Have had no problems, and these suckers are really bright. 55w halogens.
Nice. Do you happen to have any pictures of the switch?