1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

d2s to 9003 HID kit

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by firetaco18, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Mar 13, 2014 at 8:49 AM
    firetaco18

firetaco18 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    So I have searched for a little and can not find a direct answer to what I am looking for, however, if this exact issue has been talked about please link me to the right thread...

I have a set of retrofitted headlights (retrofit source projectors mini d2s made by Bsheriff11, which are still holding up very well.:thumbsup:) I first bought a crap HID kit from ebay a few months ago and they have failed about a week ago. (lasted about 6 months, but you get what you pay for:poking:).

I then bought a kit from DDM tuning, I wrote a review about them explaining a few troubles I had with them, in the end I got a working HID kit......except it doesn't work with the factory harness, nor has the wire to plug into the projector.:mad:

I have contacted Retrofit source and I got the generic answer of "The proper fit for your car is the 9003/h4 Elite kit"...that is great if I have factory headlights but I have d2s projectors installed.

SOOO the point I am getting at is... what is the right HID kit for me?:confused:...
    I have a 9003 factory harness as everyone else has...but I also have d2s projectors. I just want to get led in the right direction of what kit to get because I got burned by DDM and don't want to shell out more money for the wrong stuff.

Thanks for all the help

BTW I have a large box of HID kit wiring, ballasts, bulbs and whatnot both working and shotty stuff. PM for pics OBO.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Mar 13, 2014 at 9:14 AM
    firetaco18

Member:
  3. Mar 13, 2014 at 9:28 AM
    frizzman

frizzman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    OME 2.5,Tundra 17s,Falken Wildpeak AT3W hitch w/ 7-pin, ARE cap, JVC HU w/BT, HID/LED lights
    the 9003/H4 should be the connector coming from the factory wiring, unless you cut it yourself. most HID kits (regardless of where you buy) will use the factory wiring harness to plug into the wire coming from the ballast and then there will be a wire from the ballast to the HID light/projector for the Hi/Lo function to drop the shield and keep the light on.

4. Mar 13, 2014 at 9:36 AM
    firetaco18

Member:
    yes, that is how my ebay kit was set up but not the DDM kit. I am trying to figure out if the linked harness should work for me or if I need to buy a whole new setup, in which case I do not know. I think I mis-worded what I meant by factory harness I meant factory wiring.

I need to get from point A (9003 female) to point B (d2s bulbs) with having to spend as little as possible.

It is true that "most kits" would integrate the factory wiring. However, DDM didn't check with their Chinese source before sending me a useless box of wires.

Thanks!

5. Mar 13, 2014 at 9:52 AM
    0psi

0psi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tommy
    Westminster/glen burnie Maryland
    Color match handles,sport hood,fx-r retrofit,fog light any time,eclipse avn726e
    That is the harness that i used. you just have to wire it to what ever ballast you have but will plug in to the truck harness just fine.

6. Mar 13, 2014 at 9:53 AM
    frizzman

frizzman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    OME 2.5,Tundra 17s,Falken Wildpeak AT3W hitch w/ 7-pin, ARE cap, JVC HU w/BT, HID/LED lights
    I've heard many a report about DDM being the "cheap mans HID kit", aka fleaBay kits. I'm guessing as long as the HID light has the same connector as that harness then it should work for you.

and yes, "most" aftermarket/retrofit will just have you plug the factory 9003/H4 harness into the wiring from the ballast to make it easy. TRS specifically asks what adapter to include with the kits they sell which is why they are one the the best.

Obviously factory HIDS are pre-wired and you would just have to change the bulb but Toyota did not see fit to equip the Taco with this option (probably because people would burn them out prematurely from off-roading vibrations/bumps :) )

7. Mar 13, 2014 at 10:03 AM
    firetaco18

Member:
    Awesome, thanks Tommy, just what I wanted to hear. and for $35 I can't go wrong.
    Thanks frizzman, DDM gave me the shaft so I won't bebuying from them anymore. I would recomend people steer away from them, it is the same crap from ebay just more expensive. My shipping label from DDM actually was from China! yet they say they sell from their CA warehouse. It's bull :poking:.

8. Mar 13, 2014 at 10:07 AM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    Something doesnt sound right.....

Did u tell the guys at TRS what u had and exactly what u needed?

They are usually very helpful.... Always been kickass when I've needed them

9. Mar 13, 2014 at 10:07 AM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    DDM is crap.... Try talking to TRS again

10. Mar 13, 2014 at 11:05 AM
    firetaco18

Member:
    Yeah. Sent them a message saying my exact setup. In messages sent to them you include your make and model. I think they gave me a response based on that without reading everything...

I did chat with someone on the website today and they helped me out, gonna buy the harness. It is exactly what I need.

coupon codes?:spy::gossip::spy:

Products Discussed in

To Top