Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Recommendation for new headlights

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-13-2014, 08:13 PM   #1
SGTCap has a brilliant futureSGTCap has a brilliant futureSGTCap has a brilliant futureSGTCap has a brilliant futureSGTCap has a brilliant futureSGTCap has a brilliant futureSGTCap has a brilliant futureSGTCap has a brilliant futureSGTCap has a brilliant futureSGTCap has a brilliant futureSGTCap has a brilliant future

Name: Cap
SGTCap's Tacoma Gallery
Recommendation for new headlights

I've got an 05 Tacoma that's in desperate need of new headlights. The lenses are so cracked and pitted that no light is getting through. Highway driving has become dangerous at night because I simply can not see. I know there is a TON of information on this board about various headlight topics and frankly I don't have weeks to dedicate to sifting through all of it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a quality replacement headlight, hopefully with increased light output and a black housing/background. I don't mind smearing a little clear RTV to make sure water stays out but I don't want complete junk either. Trying to stay under the $300 mark.

Thanks
Old 04-13-2014, 10:37 PM   #2
Jumper's Leds
csjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: 2nd class petty officer
Name: chris
csjumper2003's Tacoma Gallery
The Anzo USA projector style was the one I went with. Loved them. They have a oem style one as well.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:09 AM   #3
Can't re-MEMBER
ZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ED
ZEROPILOT's Tacoma Gallery
For IMPROVED headlight vision, do NOT buy the Spec-d Halo lights. They look cool, but are less effective.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:37 AM   #4
PMs = Not good for TRS Questions
TRSAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRSAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRSAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRSAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRSAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRSAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRSAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRSAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRSAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRSAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRSAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TRSAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Don't buy anything with a projector installed unless it was retrofitted by someone.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:40 AM   #5
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
These are ~130 each on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Depo-312-1186P...depo+headlight
Just fill the seals with some clear silicone just to make sure they don't leak.
edit: after reading the Q and A section, apparently the $130 is for the pair.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:14 PM   #6
DirtJumper14 has much to be proud ofDirtJumper14 has much to be proud ofDirtJumper14 has much to be proud ofDirtJumper14 has much to be proud ofDirtJumper14 has much to be proud ofDirtJumper14 has much to be proud ofDirtJumper14 has much to be proud ofDirtJumper14 has much to be proud ofDirtJumper14 has much to be proud ofDirtJumper14 has much to be proud of
DirtJumper14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joneill03 View Post
These are ~130 each on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Depo-312-1186P...depo+headlight
Just fill the seals with some clear silicone just to make sure they don't leak.
edit: after reading the Q and A section, apparently the $130 is for the pair.

It's for a pair. Just got them a month ago. Check the black bezel before install. Received the first pair with lots of chips in black on both pairs. Didn't see it at first with the saran wrap to protect the lens. Sealed them with silicone. Installed one and noticed it after removing the saran wrap.

Pretty sure it didn't happen during shipping as the boxes were undamaged. Amazon took them back even with the silicone on them. No questions asked.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:28 PM   #7
SGTCap has a brilliant futureSGTCap has a brilliant futureSGTCap has a brilliant futureSGTCap has a brilliant futureSGTCap has a brilliant futureSGTCap has a brilliant futureSGTCap has a brilliant futureSGTCap has a brilliant futureSGTCap has a brilliant futureSGTCap has a brilliant futureSGTCap has a brilliant future

Name: Cap
SGTCap's Tacoma Gallery
Will any of these increase light output over stock?

I realize anything is better than what I have now, but would any be an improvement over an OEM replacement?
Old 04-14-2014, 07:30 PM   #8
Drive it like a 4WD
Gabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
Gabassman's Tacoma Gallery
sub for future investment
Old 04-15-2014, 05:39 AM   #9
PMs = Not good for TRS Questions
TRSAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRSAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRSAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRSAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRSAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRSAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRSAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRSAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRSAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRSAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRSAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TRSAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTCap View Post

I realize anything is better than what I have now, but would any be an improvement over an OEM replacement?
No. They're both quite poor halogens.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:00 AM   #10
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTCap View Post

You could also get a set of the LED headlight bulbs if you didn't want to do a retrofit as discussed in several threads. Here is one: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-progress.html
Old 04-15-2014, 06:11 AM   #11
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: National Guard: Infantry/ROTC Cadet
Name: Cam
ChamYota's Tacoma Gallery
Retrofit or nothing, may as well get it done right the first time, by the time you retrofit(if you do so) you would have spent more money initially.

Just me though. I've had my retros for over a year and they are worth every penny every time the sun goes down. Never going back to halogen ever again. lol.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:53 AM   #12
Drive it like a 4WD
Gabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
Gabassman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChamYota View Post
Retrofit or nothing, may as well get it done right the first time, by the time you retrofit(if you do so) you would have spent more money initially.

Just me though. I've had my retros for over a year and they are worth every penny every time the sun goes down. Never going back to halogen ever again. lol.

Have you got you passenger light replaced? How how about your fender?

Products Discussed in this Thread