Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

01-04 aux led reverse lights wired to shifter

Old 04-28-2014, 05:15 PM   #1
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BluePearlShark99's Tacoma Gallery
Lightbulb 01-04 aux led reverse lights wired to shifter

i see tons of thread where people do this on a 2nd gen and tons where people tap into the reverse wiring behind the tail light, tons with switches used to activate lights and tons with cheapo lights.

so i have some nice flush mount leds i'll be putting in my rear bumper this weekend or next. the leds came with a wiring kit that includes a fuse, relay, switch, and pos/neg battery wires.
i don't want to use the switch at all, i just want to use the wire that would've had the switch to tap into the reverse lights. i would prefer to tap into them under the hood or dash if possible, since the relay and majority of the wiring will be under the hood. i don't want to have to run a signal wire to behind the tail lights if possible. any ideas?
thanks tw gurus
Old 04-30-2014, 02:52 AM   #2
Can't re-MEMBER
ZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ED
ZEROPILOT's Tacoma Gallery
LEDs don't usually need a relay because they are such a low draw. Wouldn't they be fine simply being tapped into the existing back up light wire and then to ground? How big are these lights?
Old 05-04-2014, 04:32 PM   #3
Lickster is on a distinguished road

Name: Rick
Lickster's Tacoma Gallery
I just ran two slim low profile LED's lights off my rear bumper- each have 6, 3wat bulbs in them- so that 18 wat's per and they have a hot and a ground so I tapped each into a reverse light and grounded independently, so when I put it in reverse they throw about as much light as the headlights. no switches to mess with. They are aluminum frames and water proof, so very sturdy, snagged them off e-bay for $16.00/free shipping, nice thing is that when I'm ready to back out of a parking space.... people flat out stop and give me all the room I need - lol
Old 05-05-2014, 05:14 AM   #4
Can't re-MEMBER
ZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ED
ZEROPILOT's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, simple.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:51 AM   #5
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

can someone help me plz? i wired one led pod power wire (red, unless it's ass backwards and should be black?) to the green power wire to my reverse lights behind the tail light. i used a blue 3 way spice to make the connection and grounded leds to my hitch.

i tested it and no light from the reverse or led on that side. the only thing i can think of is maybe red is ground? lol or maybe i should've stripped the wires before using the three way splice? My neighbor said not to so I didn't. I'm so confused plz help me!

Edit: I'm an idiot, I forgot to plug the harness back in. So the reverse light works but still no led... I hope it's not a dud, too late to return it
Old 05-21-2014, 11:54 AM   #6
cynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cynicalrider's Tacoma Gallery
Test the light off the battery to test function.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:52 PM   #7
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicalrider View Post
Test the light off the battery to test function.
i shouldv'e done that from the start, before i mounted em both in my bumper and wired the first one. Hell I should done that when they came to my door fuuuck
Old 05-21-2014, 12:55 PM   #8
cynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePearlShark99 View Post
i shouldv'e done that from the start, before i mounted em both in my bumper and wired the first one. Hell I should done that when they came to my door fuuuck

Pull the battery, and use jumper cables? Same concept as long as you has bare wires you can connect to. Or alligator clips but most people don't have those on hand.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:29 PM   #9
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

well i got it figured out this evening. so the 3 way spices i bought were a size too big and didn't penetrate the plastic covering of the led power wire or the reverse light power wire. i finally noticed this after i had stuck one of the led pods to the battery and it worked, so i started to get very anal with the wiring. naturally the 3 way splice was the last place i checked. i had to separate the wiring and the plastic a little and bam, let there be light.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:24 PM   #10

Glad you got it working man! Pics?
Old 05-22-2014, 08:25 AM   #11

Some LED's have a pos/neg side to them- test the light socket for power with a tester-- if you get power, turn the light over in the socket ( top to botom- like turning a pancake) - I just did all my lights in my taco- interior and so on - some had to be turned over to work, give that a try
Old 05-22-2014, 08:30 AM   #12

Shoot I remember the name HILUX
Old 05-29-2014, 01:24 PM   #13
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

taken from inside cab, shitty phone camera does no justice

taken standing beside the bed
Old 10-16-2014, 03:38 PM   #14
fuballs has a spectacular aura aboutfuballs has a spectacular aura about
Name: Ben
fuballs's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great. How is the fit between the light and the bumper? I'm interested in doing the same thing to my 2nd gen. could you post a close up of the fit.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePearlShark99 View Post

taken from inside cab, shitty phone camera does no justice

taken standing beside the bed
Old 10-20-2014, 10:12 PM   #15
Worstbullet is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorstbullet is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorstbullet is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorstbullet is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorstbullet is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorstbullet is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorstbullet is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorstbullet is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorstbullet is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorstbullet is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorstbullet is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Hunter
Worstbullet's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great! I have a light on a switch and it so annoying. Look in to splicing them in.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:27 PM   #16
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuballs View Post
Looks great. How is the fit between the light and the bumper? I'm interested in doing the same thing to my 2nd gen. could you post a close up of the fit.

Thanks
Well I can't speak for a 2nd Gen bumper, but the outside bottom part of my lights doesn't quite sit flush. But it's pretty damn close
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worstbullet View Post
Looks great! I have a light on a switch and it so annoying. Look in to splicing them in.
Once I figured out I was over complicating things, the wiring became very easy.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:43 AM   #17

Spliced in ftw. I am so happy I went that route after reading this thread.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:54 PM   #18
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicalrider View Post
Spliced in ftw. I am so happy I went that route after reading this thread.
Did you post any pics of yours yet?
Old 10-22-2014, 07:36 AM   #19

I think only in my build, here they are: