Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Is it legal in Texas to run 4 low beam headlights

Old 05-05-2014, 05:00 AM   #1
USArchangels has a brilliant futureUSArchangels has a brilliant futureUSArchangels has a brilliant futureUSArchangels has a brilliant futureUSArchangels has a brilliant futureUSArchangels has a brilliant futureUSArchangels has a brilliant futureUSArchangels has a brilliant futureUSArchangels has a brilliant futureUSArchangels has a brilliant futureUSArchangels has a brilliant future

Coast Guard: MS3, USN.  FS3, USCG.  60% SC DV
Name: Max
USArchangels's Tacoma Gallery
Is it legal in Texas to run 4 low beam headlights

http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/d.../IMG_49121.JPG

I added two Hella Ralleye 400X headlamps to my lightbar and adjusted the beams so that they are both within the beams of my factory headlights.

I wired them to come on along with my headlights, so currently dont have a seperate switch to turn them off, though can fix that easily if needed.

Having 4 headlights doesn't seem to bother any vehicles in front of me, nor on the freeway; but oncoming cars on a small residential two way street seem to flash their brights at me as they see me running all 4 headlights (no hi beams). I don't run the foglights or ditchlights unless i'm on country dirt roads, and turn them off for the occassional oncoming traffic.

What gives? The aux lamps are no brighter than the factory headlights, so why are folks flicking their high beams at me?

I've passed several Houston Police and DPS cruisers without any problems, so they don't seem to have any issues with them. Should I run the aux lights on a seperate switch like I do with my ditch lights?

Many new lifted trucks come fresh off the lot with two mounted aux headlights...

I dont need to run them wired to headlights, but I personally don't think that it distracts or blinds any oncoming traffic as Ive tested them myself and they are perfectly alligned.

Thanks for the responses.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:08 AM   #2
Burghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Burghlar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by USArchangels View Post
http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/d.../IMG_49121.JPG

I added two Hella Ralleye 400X headlamps to my lightbar and adjusted the beams so that they are both within the beams of my factory headlights.

I wired them to come on along with my headlights, so currently dont have a seperate switch to turn them off, though can fix that easily if needed.

Having 4 headlights doesn't seem to bother any vehicles in front of me, nor on the freeway; but oncoming cars on a small residential two way street seem to flash their brights at me as they see me running all 4 headlights (no hi beams). I don't run the foglights or ditchlights unless i'm on country dirt roads, and turn them off for the occassional oncoming traffic.

What gives? The aux lamps are no brighter than the factory headlights, so why are folks flicking their high beams at me?

I've passed several Houston Police and DPS cruisers without any problems, so they don't seem to have any issues with them. Should I run the aux lights on a seperate switch like I do with my ditch lights?

Many new lifted trucks come fresh off the lot with two mounted aux headlights...

I dont need to run them wired to headlights, but I personally don't think that it distracts or blinds any oncoming traffic as Ive tested them myself and they are perfectly alligned.

Thanks for the responses.
I would hope it's illegal. I know it is in Pennsylvania.

They may not be brighter individually, but you're still doubling the light output of your normal headlights by running all four at the same time.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:13 AM   #3
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Its blinds oncoming traffic.. Especially when the truck is lifted..
Old 05-05-2014, 05:25 AM   #5
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
All good. Just run a separate switch with them and turn them off when there is other traffic
Old 05-05-2014, 05:55 AM   #6
Burghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burghlar's Tacoma Gallery
They are legal to have mounted on the truck, but illegal to be run at the same time around other vehicles. They must follow the law that pertains to high/low beam usage. I.e., must be selectable and able to be turned on and off at will, depending on the situations, cannot be on within certain distances of other vehicles, etc.

Quote:
Sec. 547.330. AUXILIARY DRIVING LAMPS PERMITTED. (a) A motor vehicle may be equipped with no more than two auxiliary driving lamps.
(b) An auxiliary driving lamp shall be mounted on the front of the vehicle at a height from 16 to 42 inches.
(c) Auxiliary driving lamps may be used with headlamps as specified by Section 547.333.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

Sec. 547.333. MULTIPLE-BEAM LIGHTING EQUIPMENT REQUIRED. (a) Unless provided otherwise, a headlamp, auxiliary driving lamp, auxiliary passing lamp, or combination of those lamps mounted on a motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle:
(1) shall be arranged so that the operator can select at will between distributions of light projected at different elevations; and
(2) may be arranged so that the operator can select the distribution automatically.
(b) A lamp identified by Subsection (a) shall produce:
(1) an uppermost distribution of light or composite beam that is aimed and emits light sufficient to reveal a person or vehicle at a distance of at least 450 feet ahead during all conditions of loading; and
(2) a lowermost distribution of light or composite beam that:
(A) is aimed and emits light sufficient to reveal a person or vehicle at a distance of at least 150 feet ahead; and
(B) is aimed so that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam on a vehicle that is operated on a straight, level road under any condition of loading projects into the eyes of an approaching vehicle operator.
(c) A person who operates a vehicle on a roadway or shoulder shall select a distribution of light or composite beam that is aimed and emits light sufficient to reveal a person or vehicle at a safe distance ahead of the vehicle, except that:
(1) an operator approaching an oncoming vehicle within 500 feet shall select:
(A) the lowermost distribution of light or composite beam, regardless of road contour or condition of loading; or
(B) a distribution aimed so that no part of the high-intensity portion of the lamp projects into the eyes of an approaching vehicle operator; and
(2) an operator approaching a vehicle from the rear within 300 feet may not select the uppermost distribution of light.
(d) A motor vehicle of a model year of 1948 or later, other than a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle, that has multiple-beam lighting equipment shall be equipped with a beam indicator that is:
(1) designed and located so that the lighted indicator is visible without glare to the vehicle operator; and
(2) lighted only when the uppermost distribution of light is in use.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:04 AM   #7
Boilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really nice

Boilerman's Tacoma Gallery
Also are they fog lights or driving lights. If they are driving lights, then they have a pencil beam output and are made to run with your high beams to supplement them. This is probably why you are getting flashed.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:28 PM   #9
NerdAlert is on a distinguished road
NerdAlert's Tacoma Gallery
can't you just look at the TX dmv site? That's what I did for CA lighting laws and it was pretty easy to find my answers, it's broken down by category.