Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

FOG LIGHTS ANYTIME THE SIMPLEST WAY

Old 06-14-2014, 06:22 AM   #21
PMs = Not good for TRS Questions
AndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewTRS's Tacoma Gallery
Pain in the ass de-pinning these, but much easier than any other method, and it's free. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 06-14-2014, 07:13 AM   #22
AndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Got a CEL. Will have to look into it further later today.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:57 AM   #23
elmerew has a spectacular aura aboutelmerew has a spectacular aura about

Name: Elmer
elmerew's Tacoma Gallery
Very ingenious. When you figure out for a 2013 I'd be very pleased to know.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:17 AM   #24
o0o Flaming Skull Member o0o
o0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shed

o0oSHADOWo0o's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmerew View Post
Very ingenious. When you figure out for a 2013 I'd be very pleased to know.
Do you have any unused relay sockets that have wires in them in the same area as the fog light relay?

If you have sockets that are wired but have relays in them, you could tie the + side of the fog light relay coil to the + side of one of the other relay coils. This would prevent you from having to run wires from outside the box.

It's a little difficult to come up with solutions to modify trucks that are different than mine simply because.....they are different but I can still try to help.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:41 PM   #25

Your second method above didn't work. It's what caused the cel.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:48 PM   #26
o0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewTRS View Post
Your second method above didn't work. It's what caused the cel.
Interesting. Can you be a little more specific about what you connected and what relays you have / don't have?
Old 06-16-2014, 10:26 AM   #27
Grakyn is on a distinguished road

Name: Kyle
Grakyn's Tacoma Gallery
Perfect, thanks for this. Much easier than I thought.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:56 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0oSHADOWo0o View Post
Interesting. Can you be a little more specific about what you connected and what relays you have / don't have?
The second option you provided arrows for, I swapped the blue/white wire with the red wire, got CEL. Swapped back, no more CEL.

I ended up just taking the trigger from the inverter relay next to the air pump relay (at least I think that's the inveter relay).
Old 06-18-2014, 04:03 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewTRS View Post
The second option you provided arrows for, I swapped the blue/white wire with the red wire, got CEL. Swapped back, no more CEL.

I ended up just taking the trigger from the inverter relay next to the air pump relay (at least I think that's the inveter relay).
If that works and the other 2013's are the same, these guys will be glad to hear it. Feel free to post pics of the wire and locations.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:52 AM   #30
double dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Derrick
double dee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by o0oSHADOWo0o View Post
If that works and the other 2013's are the same, these guys will be glad to hear it. Feel free to post pics of the wire and locations.
Sub'd for a picture of the wire location
Old 06-23-2014, 06:28 PM   #31
PahalaTacoma is on a distinguished road
PahalaTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Getting the pins out was a bitch. But it works perfectly!! Can't wait for my Morimoto xB LED Fog Lights to come in.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:27 PM   #32
Quadsix has a brilliant futureQuadsix has a brilliant futureQuadsix has a brilliant futureQuadsix has a brilliant futureQuadsix has a brilliant futureQuadsix has a brilliant futureQuadsix has a brilliant futureQuadsix has a brilliant futureQuadsix has a brilliant futureQuadsix has a brilliant futureQuadsix has a brilliant future

Air Force: Surveillance
Name: Don
Quadsix's Tacoma Gallery
Alright, after about 30 minutes of trying to get these pins out I am calling it a night. I don't want to force them out and break them.. Got any pics of the tools you used to push the pins out. I have tried multiple small screw drivers and even a small nail to try to push that tab down. There has to be an easier way or maybe I am not using the right tool? I will try again tomorrow. Hopefully someone might be able to throw a pic up on here of it.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:36 AM   #33
Me Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stan
Me Likey TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadsix View Post
Alright, after about 30 minutes of trying to get these pins out I am calling it a night. I don't want to force them out and break them.. Got any pics of the tools you used to push the pins out. I have tried multiple small screw drivers and even a small nail to try to push that tab down. There has to be an easier way or maybe I am not using the right tool? I will try again tomorrow. Hopefully someone might be able to throw a pic up on here of it.
I ended up using a dental pick that was in my tool box. You do need something fairly thin and stiff.

I tried doing this after work in the evening and failed. For me, the key was having enough light to see the retaining clip.

The next day I had success when I tried at noon in full sun. I could immediately see the retainer.

If you can't see the retaining clip you'll just be digging around in there hoping that you get lucky. That didn't work for me.

Stan
Old 06-24-2014, 07:12 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadsix View Post
The plastic tabs that grip the wire terminals are pretty small as is the gap between the inside of the connector and the terminal. You're going to need something a hell of a lot thinner than a small nail. Try to wedge the screwdriver between the tab and the terminal while pulling on the wire or pushing down on the terminal. The first one I tried came out right away, but the second one was kicking my ass. It just takes a little time, finesse and patience.

I used a jeweler's screwdriver(the same type of screwdriver used to tighten the screws on eye glasses).

Get a bright flashlight and look at the other "relay sockets" especially the ones that do not have any terminals/wires in them. You should be able to get a good idea of how far down the tabs are and what it will take to push them back to release the terminals by looking at these. I would try to post a photo of these but you're probably going to get a better and clearer view of them by looking at them yourself rather than a poorly take picture by me.

Good Luck.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:12 PM   #35
Pixelpaul is on a distinguished road
Pixelpaul's Tacoma Gallery
o0oSHADOWo0o, this looks like a great mod! However, I got stuck at not being able to remove the whole relay box. It seems to be latched in somehow. Cannot figure it out. What is the trick? Thanks.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:18 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelpaul View Post
o0oSHADOWo0o, this looks like a great mod! However, I got stuck at not being able to remove the whole relay box. It seems to be latched in somehow. Cannot figure it out. What is the trick? Thanks.
Just pull it straight up. It fits in a plastic "slot" that is molded to the main fuse box. You might need to wiggle it a bit.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:14 PM   #37
o0oSHADOWo0o, Thanks for that last instruction on how to remove the whole relay box. I performed the mod and it works perfectly on my 2012 dual cab. Thanks again!
Old 07-13-2014, 04:43 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelpaul View Post
o0oSHADOWo0o, Thanks for that last instruction on how to remove the whole relay box. I performed the mod and it works perfectly on my 2012 dual cab. Thanks again!
Glad I could help.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:22 PM   #39
Just out of curiosity, how do you come up with these interesting mods? Are you an electrical engineer?
Old 07-13-2014, 08:16 PM   #40

Actually...I am an Electrical Engineering Technician/PLC Programmer

I have a lot of experience with electrical controls, electronics, all types of electric motors etc... I currently work in the engineering department of a manufacturing company where I develop the control programs for automated equipment and often have to troubleshoot electrical problems. This means I need to have both technical ability and creativity.

For me, changing the way things work on my truck is just fun, but that's what engineers do.