Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

FOG LIGHTS ANYTIME THE SIMPLEST WAY

Old 07-13-2014, 08:32 PM   #41
Pixelpaul is on a distinguished road
Pixelpaul's Tacoma Gallery
Well, I really appreciate that mod, it's exactly what I was looking for. I'm using the fog lights as daylight running lights. The amber DRL's are good, and come on when the ignition is on, but white lights to me seem much more visible to oncoming drivers. You definitely seem to have the skills for this kind of thing!
Old 07-13-2014, 08:43 PM   #42
o0o Flaming Skull Member o0o
o0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shadow
o0oSHADOWo0o's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelpaul View Post
Well, I really appreciate that mod, it's exactly what I was looking for. I'm using the fog lights as daylight running lights. The amber DRL's are good, and come on when the ignition is on, but white lights to me seem much more visible to oncoming drivers. You definitely seem to have the skills for this kind of thing!
Thanks.

I didn't come up with the original "fog light anytime" modification or even the concept. I did however see a couple of the threads that showed how to do this, but I found a better way to do it on my truck.

There are a lot of talented people on this site that have some really good ideas. Do some looking around and I'm sure you will see what I mean.

If you are interested in white DTRL(Day Time Running Lights), there is a guy on here named CSJUMPER that sells LED switchback bulbs. They are normally white but switch to Orange/Amber when the turn signals are on.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:20 PM   #43
Dink is on a distinguished road
Name: Braydon
Dink's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone have pics of this for a 2014?? Thanks in advance
Old 07-27-2014, 01:33 PM   #44
PhD, DVM, MPH, MS, MMA, Esq, XYZ, 123, blahblah
DrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dr. (I just play one on TV)
DrFunker's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone had luck doing this with a 2011 DC?
Thanks

Shadow - the wire pics in your first post are very different from mine. Wondering if you could help.
Would love to do this mod.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:39 PM   #45
o0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFunker View Post
Has anyone had luck doing this with a 2011 DC?
Thanks

Shadow - the wire pics in your first post are very different from mine. Wondering if you could help.
Would love to do this mod.
If I had a 2011 it would be easy for me to poke around and look for a way to do it. If you have a voltmeter you can simply look for a source of +12V that is only on either with the lights or with the ignition. You can then run this to the side of the relay that would normally get its +12V power from the High/Low headlight relay. There are a couple of other threads for doing this on older trucks.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:44 PM   #46
PhD, DVM, MPH, MS, MMA, Esq, XYZ, 123, blahblah
DrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dr. (I just play one on TV)
DrFunker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by o0oSHADOWo0o View Post
If I had a 2011 it would be easy for me to poke around and look for a way to do it. If you have a voltmeter you can simply look for a source of +12V that is only on either with the lights or with the ignition. You can then run this to the side of the relay that would normally get its +12V power from the High/Low headlight relay. There are a couple of other threads for doing this on older trucks.
Thanks.
Liking the sig.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:46 PM   #48

If your truck has wires in the unused relay sockets, it is by far the easiest and cleanest way. Unfortunately, not all trucks are built the same.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:05 PM   #49
Bender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bender581's Tacoma Gallery
OP, when you swap the two wires you are giving the fog relay 12 volts when the switch is on. What was was getting the 12 volts from this wire? Was it just an empty socket for something?
Old 09-25-2014, 06:45 PM   #50

The empty relay socket is for the seat heaters. Since I don't have heated seats, this worked out great.

The fog light switch on the dashboard actually switches the -12v (ground). The wire from the empty relay socket supplies the +12v. You could pick up this +12v from anywhere. It just happened that the wire for the seat heater relay is energized when the ignition is on. This made it especially convenient to use because the lights turn off when I turn the truck off, even if the fog light switch is still on.

I might add that no fuse is needed for this method either since the wire that is powering the relay coil is already part of the harness and gets its power from one of the ignition circuit fuses.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:30 PM   #51
OCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shed
OCNutty's Tacoma Gallery
Great writeup; I have a '12 but it's SR5 and not the Sport; I'll have to check to be certain my wiring includes the empty relay socket to try this.

OBTW after the mod, does the dash fog light illuminate when the fog's are on (headlights off), or only when the headlights are on?
Old 10-13-2014, 05:43 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCNutty View Post
Great writeup; I have a '12 but it's SR5 and not the Sport; I'll have to check to be certain my wiring includes the empty relay socket to try this.

OBTW after the mod, does the dash fog light illuminate when the fog's are on (headlights off), or only when the headlights are on?
There are a couple other threads on here that show a variety of ways to do this. After looking at them I discovered that at least one other post shows this way (a few people have discovered it independently).

If you do not have the wires in the unused relay sockets, all you really have to do if find a source of +12v switched power. Some people bend the relay tab, but I would be more inclined to cut the wire going to it, put on quick disconnect spade terminals (so it can be reversed if needed) and connect the +12v under the relay box out of sight and no holes to drill.

To answer your question about the light on the fog light switch, The switch is only illuminated when the parking or headlights are on.

This just gave me and idea. It might be easy to have the switch illuminated normally with the headlights on but then illuminated brighter when the fogs are on. It might also be possible to have it illuminate brightly when the fogs are on even with the parking lights off. I'll have to investigate this.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:00 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWF ROWD View Post
So am I correct that simply switching the two wire will NOT work on the '13 models...?
It will work if you have the wires to switch. Unfortunately some truck do not have the wires in the unused relay sockets for some reason.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:51 PM   #57
06TXED has a spectacular aura about06TXED has a spectacular aura about

Name: Tony
06TXED's Tacoma Gallery
Will need to check on 13 if this will work (fingers crossed )
Old 10-22-2014, 03:48 PM   #59
4x4Active is on a distinguished road

Name: Jason
4x4Active's Tacoma Gallery
Man I was wishing for an easy way. Mine is not prewired so its time to splice some wire and bend the relay lol.
Attached Thumbnails
FOG LIGHTS ANYTIME THE SIMPLEST WAY-20141022_173426.jpg  
Old 10-22-2014, 07:31 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Active View Post
Man I was wishing for an easy way. Mine is not prewired so its time to splice some wire and bend the relay lol.
If you're going to run +12v to the relay tab where the red/black wire is connected, instead of bending the tab you could always cut the wire, install a male spade terminal on one end, and a female spade terminal on the other. You could then run power to the wire coming from the relay and use another spade terminal to connect it. If you ever needed to reverse this mod, you could simply reconnect the red/black wire back to the red/black wire going to the relay.