Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

FOG LIGHTS ANYTIME THE SIMPLEST WAY

Old 05-31-2014, 11:52 AM   #1
o0o Flaming Skull Member o0o
o0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shadow
o0oSHADOWo0o's Tacoma Gallery
Talking FOG LIGHTS ANYTIME THE SIMPLEST WAY

Ok, it seems a few people have different ways of doing this. I have a way that uses NO parts, requires NO bending, NO cutting, NO splicing, and a bare minimum of time and tools. Are we ready?

This works on my 2012 4x4 Double Cab TRD Sport. It may not work on older trucks due to changes in the wiring and fuse configuration.

First, remove the fog light relay

Next take the relay box off and flip it over. There is a cover on the back side that can be taken off to access the wiring.

Finally, locate the two wires indicated by the RED ARROWS. This picture shows the wires already switched.

The connectors can be pushed out from the TOP (relay side of the block) with a jeweler's or precision screwdriver. There are little plastic tabs that hold these in. It takes a little practice and patience to push them out but it isn't that difficult.

Once you get both wires loose, simply swap them, reinstall the bottom cover, relay and top cover and you're ready to go. Your fog lights with come on with the switch anytime your ignition is on.

This works because the fog light switch switches the negative side of the circuit to the fog light relay coil. The wire that was swapped has +12v on it anytime the ignition is on. This is used to power the positive side of the relay coil. This is too easy to do!
Attached Thumbnails
FOG LIGHTS ANYTIME THE SIMPLEST WAY-dscf0121.jpg   FOG LIGHTS ANYTIME THE SIMPLEST WAY-dscf0123.jpg   FOG LIGHTS ANYTIME THE SIMPLEST WAY-wiring.jpg  
Old 05-31-2014, 12:05 PM   #2
Remember Your ABC's. Always. Be. Cool.
Bsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Brandon
Bsheriff11's Tacoma Gallery
Good post, I did it this way too, getting those wires out is aggravating though, if I hadn't got the first one, I was off to do it the other way.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:24 PM   #3
pdctaco12 is on a distinguished road

Name: Phillip
pdctaco12's Tacoma Gallery
That's the way I did my 2012 and no one will ever know. That's the best part about doing this way.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:35 PM   #4
o0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdctaco12 View Post
That's the way I did my 2012 and no one will ever know. That's the best part about doing this way.
Yep ! I like to incorporate a bit of stealth into what I do.

I haven't gotten around to making a clean drawing of it and posting it yet, but I have done a mod that lets the turn signal on the mirrors come on with the parking lights but still function as turn signals. I'll have to finish the details so I can post that too.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:37 PM   #5
Bsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Now id like to see a write up on the turn signal mod, pretty cool
Old 05-31-2014, 12:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsheriff11 View Post
Now id like to see a write up on the turn signal mod, pretty cool
Here are some pics. I need to clean up the wiring diagram.
Attached Thumbnails
FOG LIGHTS ANYTIME THE SIMPLEST WAY-1.-relay-board.jpg   FOG LIGHTS ANYTIME THE SIMPLEST WAY-2.-unmodified-fuse-panel.jpg   FOG LIGHTS ANYTIME THE SIMPLEST WAY-3.-relay-board-mounted.jpg   FOG LIGHTS ANYTIME THE SIMPLEST WAY-4.-quick-disconnects-wires.jpg   FOG LIGHTS ANYTIME THE SIMPLEST WAY-5.-wires-tucked-away.jpg  

Old 05-31-2014, 01:01 PM   #7

EMS:
I can't read too much into those pics, but if you could do a write up detailing how you did it I would be grateful
Old 05-31-2014, 01:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsheriff11 View Post
I can't read too much into those pics, but if you could do a write up detailing how you did it I would be grateful
Yeah...I'll get around to it soon. I just wanted to show you that it had been completed. I basically took 3 DPDT relays, one for each signal and one for the parking lights, strung them together and hooked them up. I know....details do help. I'll write it up soon.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:12 PM   #9

EMS:
Just realized you're from Virginia .....VA takin ova here recently
Old 05-31-2014, 02:40 PM   #10
G8keepr is on a distinguished road
Name: Rich
G8keepr's Tacoma Gallery
Just went to try this on my 2014 TRD OR. I don't seem to have all the wires to swap! Help!
Old 05-31-2014, 07:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8keepr View Post
Just went to try this on my 2014 TRD OR. I don't seem to have all the wires to swap! Help!
Well damn. I guess it sucks to have a 2014 then

Seriously though, you can do this one of the other ways. There are a few threads out there on this. All you really need to do is to bring +12V that comes on with the ignition to the Silver prong on the left side of the fog light relay. Some people remove the relay and install "jumper" wires and some just bend that prong and attach a wire to it.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:44 PM   #12
2wdTRD will become famous soon enough

2wdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
You got my hopes up, I'm sitting in the driveway looking at the box and this picture and its seriously different. Here is what us 13+ owners are looking at, any help will be greatly appreciated. Also I was looking at the picture of the relay box you posted, I'm going to assume that on your 12 the relay for the fogs is the blue on the bottom. On the 13 its the bottom blue relay.

I'd rather use your solution here than another, with only 11,000 miles I'd like to keep things as OE looking as possible.
Attached Thumbnails
FOG LIGHTS ANYTIME THE SIMPLEST WAY-20140601_163839.jpg  
Old 06-01-2014, 05:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wdTRD View Post
You got my hopes up, I'm sitting in the driveway looking at the box and this picture and its seriously different. Here is what us 13+ owners are looking at, any help will be greatly appreciated. Also I was looking at the picture of the relay box you posted, I'm going to assume that on your 12 the relay for the fogs is the blue on the bottom. On the 13 its the bottom blue relay.

I'd rather use your solution here than another, with only 11,000 miles I'd like to keep things as OE looking as possible.
Ok, no problem. We can work with what you have. My photo shows the +12v wire for the fog light relay coil and the +12v wire for the seat heater relay coil already switched. Below is an edited copy of your photo. Just switch the blue wire with the white stripe, indicated by the red arrow and the red wire with the black stripe, indicated by the other red arrow. This uses the +12v wire for the air pump relay. This also is energized when the ignition is turned on. Let me know if this works for you.
Attached Thumbnails
FOG LIGHTS ANYTIME THE SIMPLEST WAY-alternate-wiring.jpg  
Old 06-01-2014, 06:37 PM   #14

2wdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I'll attempt this tomorrow after work, only thing I'm thinking is if I pull the 12v from the air pump does it have another source of power at start up? Earlier I pulled the relay for the air pump and turned on the key (had a dumb moment and forgot to just check the lid for relay ID) anyway after I put it all back together and started it I had the CEL on for the air pump. I cleared it after all was back together and it has stayed off, but will it set the CEL if I pull it's 12v?
Old 06-01-2014, 06:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wdTRD View Post
I'll attempt this tomorrow after work, only thing I'm thinking is if I pull the 12v from the air pump does it have another source of power at start up? Earlier I pulled the relay for the air pump and turned on the key (had a dumb moment and forgot to just check the lid for relay ID) anyway after I put it all back together and started it I had the CEL on for the air pump. I cleared it after all was back together and it has stayed off, but will it set the CEL if I pull it's 12v?
So you actually have an air pump? Hmmm. I don't have a seat heater or an air pump, just two empty relay sockets. In your case all you really need to do is get +12v power to the fog light relay coil where red/black stripe wire is.

Here is a solution but requires cutting wires. You could put a quick tap on the Blue/White stripe wire, then cut the Red/Black Stripe wire and connect it to the Blue/White wire with the quick tap. Make sure to cap off the end of the now unused Red/Black wire from the harness.

This would all be concealed by the bottom cover of the relay box. I would prefer this over any of the other mods that are painfully visible.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:10 PM   #16

2wdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Yea sadly I have an air pump in a non smog/non testing state, I would much rather prefer to keep all things hidden but more importantly being able to switch back for warranty reasons if needed. I'll have to take the other option of just making a harness for the relay that does not require any bending or cutting...

I appreciate your help!
Old 06-01-2014, 09:05 PM   #17
WILLIAM ROBERT has a spectacular aura aboutWILLIAM ROBERT has a spectacular aura about

Canadian Army: Mekanik
WILLIAM ROBERT's Tacoma Gallery
sweet deal Shadow, worked for me, thanks. I have an air pump too, but no heated seats.

nice truck BTW.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLIAM ROBERT View Post
sweet deal Shadow, worked for me, thanks. I have an air pump too, but no heated seats.

nice truck BTW.
Glad to help, and thanks for the vote of approval on the look of my truck.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:15 PM   #19
423 TACO is a splendid one to behold423 TACO is a splendid one to behold423 TACO is a splendid one to behold423 TACO is a splendid one to behold423 TACO is a splendid one to behold423 TACO is a splendid one to behold423 TACO is a splendid one to behold

Air Force: Aircraft Mx
Name: Daniel
423 TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Sub to try later on my 13
Old 06-11-2014, 07:56 PM   #20
Me Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stan
Me Likey TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Took me a while to figure out how to release the wire terminals, but it was a two-minute job to put it back together after that.

The key to success for me was getting plenty of light in there (full sun). There's an awful lot of dark in that relay box.

Brilliant solution OP, thanks!