DTRLs Don't work..

Old 06-02-2014, 01:16 AM   #1
TripleStack
Brussell18 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: crew chief
Name: Brandon
Brussell18's Tacoma Gallery
DTRLs Don't work..

I have a 2008 trd off road 6 spd manual. I noticed when i bought it, the dtrls did not work. They still operate properly as turn/emergency signals but thats it…suggestions?? Tips? Or help troubleshooting.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:34 AM   #2
robssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
robssol's Tacoma Gallery
To me this would not be a problem. But, you could check to see if it has been modded.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:49 AM   #3
TripleStack

Quote:
Originally Posted by robssol View Post
To me this would not be a problem. But, you could check to see if it has been modded.
What would I need to look for?
Old 06-02-2014, 01:56 AM   #4
robssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
robssol's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brussell18 View Post
What would I need to look for?
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...alth-mode.html
Check to see if this has been done to it by a former owner.
Or they may have just disabled the dtrl.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:07 AM   #5
Can't re-MEMBER
ZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ED
ZEROPILOT's Tacoma Gallery
+1 They did you a favor. These have issues with the DTRLs melting the headlights. Do yourself a favor and leave it alone. My two cents.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:26 AM   #7
TripleStack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEROPILOT View Post
+1 They did you a favor. These have issues with the DTRLs melting the headlights. Do yourself a favor and leave it alone. My two cents.
Zeropilot,
I will take that into consideration. I did not know people were having issues like that
Old 06-02-2014, 02:44 AM   #8
Tasty Taco
TacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mitch
TacoMitch93's Tacoma Gallery
If its an American truck they don't have DRL's to begin with. You need DRL's for safety, if the ebreak is on when you start it up your DRL's won't work either, not until you put it down. I don't know if that's your issue, it happened to a tech when I worked at Hyundai (he wasn't the sharpest tool in the box).
Old 06-02-2014, 07:41 AM   #9
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
DTRLs Don't work..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMitch93 View Post
If its an American truck they don't have DRL's to begin with. You need DRL's for safety, if the ebreak is on when you start it up your DRL's won't work either, not until you put it down. I don't know if that's your issue, it happened to a tech when I worked at Hyundai (he wasn't the sharpest tool in the box).

Some US trucks have DTRL
Old 06-02-2014, 08:25 AM   #10
NolaTaco42 is on a distinguished road
NolaTaco42's Tacoma Gallery
08 doesnt have it. i have an 08 and it didnt come with it. i just hooked them up to a switch, fairly easy if you know a little about the lighting.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:53 AM   #12
Can't re-MEMBER
ZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

That's kind of funny. A link to give you a problem that the rest of us have had to get rid of. My headlamps and sockets melted in 18K miles from the damn things. The problem was that in a certain model year, Toyota decided that they would switch to full on day time running lights....without ANY modification to the headlamp design, or ANY considerations about what the extra heat would do to the inside of the headlights. They just wired it differently. Very lazy. Very disappointing. Very UN-Toyota!
Old 06-04-2014, 06:33 AM   #13
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's kind of funny. A link to give you a problem that the rest of us have had to get rid of. My headlamps and sockets melted in 18K miles from the damn things. The problem was that in a certain model year, Toyota decided that they would switch to full on day time running lights....without ANY modification to the headlamp design, or ANY considerations about what the extra heat would do to the inside of the headlights. They just wired it differently. Very lazy. Very disappointing. Very UN-Toyota!

5 1/2 years , DTRL on every time I drive , no melting problems for me
Old 06-04-2014, 07:44 AM   #14
Tasty Taco
TacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
5 1/2 years , DTRL on every time I drive , no melting problems for me
My DRL's haven't melted yet either....
Old 06-04-2014, 07:47 AM   #15
coastemac is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: Gunner's Mate First Class (E-6) Weapons Instructor/Armorer
Name: Mac
coastemac's Tacoma Gallery
My '14 has them... but at least the switch gives me the option to use them or not.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:30 AM   #16
Can't re-MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMitch93 View Post
My DRL's haven't melted yet either....
I see you're both from Canada. I wonder if there's a difference? I noticed mine starting to discolor pretty early on. Eventually melting, cracking and falling apart. Now I'm running LED turn signals and projector/halo lights. My 2009 has just 23,000 miles.
Attached Thumbnails
DTRLs Don't work..-20140213_093418.jpg  
Old 06-07-2014, 02:39 PM   #17
Revived and BACK baby!
joedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant future

Army: Squad Automatic Rifleman, 29th Light Infantry
joedirt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I see you're both from Canada. I wonder if there's a difference? I noticed mine starting to discolor pretty early on. Eventually melting, cracking and falling apart. Now I'm running LED turn signals and projector/halo lights. My 2009 has just 23,000 miles.
You've got water inside the lens. The seal cracked somewhere?
Old 06-07-2014, 02:40 PM   #18
Revived and BACK baby!
joedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant future

Army: Squad Automatic Rifleman, 29th Light Infantry
joedirt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I see you're both from Canada. I wonder if there's a difference?
They're Canadians?

Old 06-09-2014, 02:53 AM   #19
Can't re-MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedirt View Post
You've got water inside the lens. The seal cracked somewhere?
No. There was never any water. The discoloration were burn marks. It looks like it nearly caught on fire.Some burned particles of plastic fell down into the main headlamp lense. Even the bulb sockets are discolored. Now, with the LEDs and no more DTRL, the whole thing is nice and cool.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:56 AM   #20
Tasty Taco

Quote:
There seems to be a lot of little differences between US and Canadian trucks, it's weird. But I can't see that being one, I'm not sure of course. I'll talk to a couple tech's and see if they've heard of it and get back to you.