1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Re-occuring P0300 Error code but only when it rains?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Graham, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Apr 8, 2009 at 12:47 PM
    Graham

Graham [OP] Pay it Forward

Member:
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 TRD Black V6 6 speed manual
    Hi, New to the forum! Absolutely love it. I've got a 2005 V6 manual 4x4 Tacoma, 145K miles mostly highway with off road mixed in for fun.

My issue is I randomly get a check engine light notification with an associated P0300 code. I know what it means and have been to 2 different dealerships and 2 respected independent mechanics who can't find the issue. They change the plugs, check the timing, clean the MAF, but don't really give me a true root cause to fix once and for all. This has happened probably 3 times over the past 2 years. Latest instance was monday on a run to Lewisburg, PA. What happens is the engine gives a hesitation slight to severe at highway speeds, I can press the accelerator to the floor with no increase in speed and then the check engine light comes on with the engine running in a rough fashion, it feels sputtery and weak. I usually pull over for 15 to 20 minutes with the engine off. Start it up again, the check engine light is on but the engine is now operating fine with plenty of power. The one constant when this happens is that it is always raining when this happens and I am operating in cruise control mode. I have never had it happen when I am driving in cruise control and it is dry out. WTF? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Graham

2. Apr 8, 2009 at 2:05 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
  3. Apr 8, 2009 at 8:38 PM
    Graham

Graham [OP] Pay it Forward

Member:
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 TRD Black V6 6 speed manual
    I have googled the shit out of it for sometime now and read till my eyes bleed. Knowing how to google is not the problem smart man. It is finding competent mechanics that can fix a vehicle

I agree that it is pathetic.

4. Apr 9, 2009 at 3:38 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    At this point - take the information you've read online and start trouble-shooting yourself.

You're better off doing it yourself and saving yourself the $$. Then, if you've found the problem - you can decide whether you want to actually repair it yourself or TELL a mechanic exactly what you want him to fix.

5. Apr 12, 2009 at 8:35 AM
    bass mechanic

bass mechanic Well-Known Member

Member:
    colorado springs, colorado
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma Access cab TRD offroad in black
    none
    perhaps your getting water in the intake somehow?

6. May 7, 2009 at 1:52 AM
    gunner_20

gunner_20 .....

Member:
    Nixa, MO
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma DCLB Sport 4x4
    Has this happened to you when you are not using the cruise and its raining? Or only when the cruise is on?

7. May 10, 2009 at 6:10 PM
    bk1

bk1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lower Mainland, BC
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    ProComp Stage 2 6" lift, AAL, Heated Mirrors, DVD/NAV, Amp & Subs, Fog Light Mod, Rear Diff breather. WeatherTech Mats, Soft Tonneau Cover, 33" TrXus M/T, M8000 Winch & Bumper, CB, Rock/suspension Lighting and a whole lot more Soon to come rear Locker and more....
    i had a very similar problem with my old acura... and it was throwing a similar code and engine hesitation.. and it turned out to be the distributor/distributor cap. it wasnt sealing properly. i guess with the heat and moisture it was acting up.. replaced the distributor and the problem went away... however i dont know why it only does it when the cruise is on :S

Products Discussed in

To Top