Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

XB LED Fog lights from The Retrofit Source

Old 06-25-2014, 11:16 PM   #1
Square is a splendid one to beholdSquare is a splendid one to beholdSquare is a splendid one to beholdSquare is a splendid one to beholdSquare is a splendid one to beholdSquare is a splendid one to beholdSquare is a splendid one to beholdSquare is a splendid one to behold
Army: Spc. Artillery. 1-84FA & 3-82FA
Name: Brian
Square's Tacoma Gallery

I swapped out my factory fog lights with LED projector fog lights from The Retrofit Source. I used their Morimoto XB LED Fog lights because they were a direct replacement for my factory 2014 fogs (they fit '12-'15 Tacomas according to their website) and because I sort of have a love affair with LEDs. I ordered them on Sunday and they were at my door by Wednesday. Quick responses by TRS about fitment and the fastest free delivery I've ever received.

OK, enough boring talk. The box inside of a box trick!

Opened up the XB box and everything was nice and neat.

Contents of said box: Two connectors, two spare screws (I ended up not needing them) and of course, some fancy looking fog lights.

Backside of the new fog lights. Heat sink built in and you can see the weather proof connectors.

Above shot.

To start, you need to remove these two screws. You can either use a P2 Phillips screwdriver or a 10MM socket to remove them.

Once the plastic inner fender is pushed out of the way, this is what you’ll see. The two screws on the one side are what secure the fogs. You’ll need a stubby P2 Phillips head screwdriver to remove them.

They simply tilt out.

Putting the new XB LED Fog lights in is exactly the opposite of pulling the factory ones out

Now, to hook up the wires, you will want to double check which lead goes in which slot of the factory connector. Simply turn your fog lights on and plug the connectors in to find out which is the positive and which is negative. LEDs will only work one way, so if it works, then you win! If not, simply reverse the two leads and THEN you will win!

Now that you’ve discovered which wire goes where, you need to plug them into the connector that TRS provides.

Once you have the connectors together, you can safely zip tie the excess wire up and out of the way.

Here is a comparison of the factory fog light on the left and the XB LED fog light on the right. Yes, the halogen bulb throws more light upwards and all over the place. Not sure how good that is for a fog light.

Here are both of the XB LEDs installed.

Low Beam Halogen headlights and no fogs.

Low Beam Halogen headlights plus XB LED fog lights.

To adjust the XBs for up and down level-ness, use a P2 Phillips head. Just like the factory fogs.

First impressions is that they’re awesome. However, I’ll admit to not really driving around with them yet. I’ll update later on how I like them as time goes on. Also, forgive me if this was a rather lengthy or not that informative of a write up. It's my first time. So be gentle! Also, all pictures are from my iPad.

Edit: Close up shots of them installed. Kinda nice that it has a lot less chrome.

Here is a link to the XB fogs:

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/led...l#.U6uvlbFC-Do
Old 06-25-2014, 11:32 PM   #2
maarkymaark is on a distinguished road
Name: Mark
maarkymaark's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

nice, I'm looking into buying those for my truck. looks good
Old 06-26-2014, 08:21 AM   #3
C.Blackfoot is on a distinguished road

C.Blackfoot's Tacoma Gallery
Nice man. Can't wait to install mine.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:37 PM   #4
o0o Flaming Skull Member o0o
o0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shed

o0oSHADOWo0o's Tacoma Gallery
These look really nice. If I did not already have LED fog light bulbs from Lifetime LEDs, I might consider these.

The xB fog lights have 3 LEDS that use 9 watts and put out 1200 lumens.

The H11 fog light bulbs from Lifetime LEDs consume 22 watts and put out 2000 lumens. They are a little bit brighter, but a whole lot easier to install.

Either one looks like a good choice to me.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:49 PM   #5
Shaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Shaggs's Tacoma Gallery
You should definitely get lifetime LED headlights to go with those... sooooooo much better than halogen, and no blinding people
Old 06-27-2014, 03:44 AM   #6
PMs = Not good for TRS Questions
AndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewTRS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by o0oSHADOWo0o View Post
These look really nice. If I did not already have LED fog light bulbs from Lifetime LEDs, I might consider these.

The xB fog lights have 3 LEDS that use 9 watts and put out 1200 lumens.

The H11 fog light bulbs from Lifetime LEDs consume 22 watts and put out 2000 lumens. They are a little bit brighter, but a whole lot easier to install.

Either one looks like a good choice to me.
This is the much more proper way to do it since the lens focuses the light properly instead of a random spray of light. You can see how the stock fogs are just a blob of light--the "Lifetime" LEDs will be the same.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:36 AM   #7
Square is a splendid one to beholdSquare is a splendid one to beholdSquare is a splendid one to beholdSquare is a splendid one to beholdSquare is a splendid one to beholdSquare is a splendid one to beholdSquare is a splendid one to beholdSquare is a splendid one to behold
Square's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggs View Post
You should definitely get lifetime LED headlights to go with those... sooooooo much better than halogen, and no blinding people
I'll be retrofitting the FX-R's when I can. I love LEDs but I know their limitations. LEDs need a housing designed specifically for them.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:23 AM   #8
RileyLAFD has a spectacular aura aboutRileyLAFD has a spectacular aura about

Marines: Honorably Discharged
Name: Riley
RileyLAFD's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd
Old 07-07-2014, 07:09 AM   #9
VonElling is on a distinguished road

Air Force: SrA BTZ DOR July 25th 2014
VonElling's Tacoma Gallery
Do you think this is worth the buy? My stock fogs will get used a lot this winter in north dakota. Im trying to decide between buying LED headlight bulbs or getting these fogs...
Old 07-07-2014, 07:30 AM   #10
AndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonElling View Post
Do you think this is worth the buy? My stock fogs will get used a lot this winter in north dakota. Im trying to decide between buying LED headlight bulbs or getting these fogs...
I've been running them for nearly a year now on a few vehicles. I now try to buy cars based on if the fogs can fit them!
Old 07-07-2014, 07:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewTRS View Post
I've been running them for nearly a year now on a few vehicles. I now try to buy cars based on if the fogs can fit them!

That's awesome!!! 👍
Old 07-07-2014, 09:19 AM   #12
VonElling is on a distinguished road

Air Force: SrA BTZ DOR July 25th 2014
VonElling's Tacoma Gallery
Any yellow fog options? Or would amber lamin-x suffice?
Old 07-07-2014, 02:57 PM   #13
Square's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Wouldn't waste my time with LED headlight bulbs. Just my personal opinion. My brother loved mine so much that I bought him a pair for his Subaru after he saw mine. When I get paid on the first, I'll be getting projectors to get my headlights on par with these fogs. They are just so clean and crisp.

Quote:
Any yellow fog options? Or would amber lamin-x suffice?
Nope, you'll have to put on some Lamin-X. They only come in 5500K.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:08 PM   #14
WickedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWickedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWickedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWickedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWickedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWickedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWickedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWickedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWickedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWickedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWickedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Veteran of 1st Battalion 3rd Marines
Name: Aaron
WickedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
So when can we expect thes for 05-11 2nd Gens?
Old 07-13-2014, 09:45 AM   #15

Adding my XBs today... So easy!!!!
(Oh yeah that's just my new Miller Elite Welding helmet that arrived when my lights did.)

So bright... Even more so than the stock headlights! Only took about 15 minutes total install time. Not 2 hours like the box quotes you. Thanks The Retrofit Source!
Old 07-13-2014, 10:58 AM   #16
Just a man and his truck
FLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant future

Navy: GSM
Name: JJ
FLtaco24's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedTaco View Post
x2
Old 07-13-2014, 08:39 PM   #17

How much adjustment was required?
Old 07-13-2014, 09:09 PM   #18
Square's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm, not a whole lot, but I swapped them one at a time and used the stock fogs to line the new ones up.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:56 PM   #19

Aww crap... Ok well I will do that tomorrow then. I had just swapped them without adjusting... Lol. They were pointed almost straight up.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:15 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedTaco View Post
No plans to produce those, unfortunately.