Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

2014 Cree Reverse LEDs

Old 07-01-2014, 06:08 PM   #1
Annolino122 has a spectacular aura aboutAnnolino122 has a spectacular aura about

Annolino122's Tacoma Gallery
2014 Cree Reverse LEDs

So I've done my research on reverse lights to make it easier to see with the back up camera. From what I've gathered the easiest is the Cree LED bulb replacement.

What I want to know is I've read about lights that spread more than distance and I was wondering if anyone has a link to them and know where I can purchase them from?

Prefer from amazon with my prime account gets it here quicker
Old 07-01-2014, 06:43 PM   #2
Social Critic
DeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 23rd Infantry Division
Name: Steve
DeltaSteve's Tacoma Gallery
Too bad your not interested in a good solution vs an easy one

Just Say'n
Old 07-01-2014, 11:20 PM   #3
Annolino122 has a spectacular aura aboutAnnolino122 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaSteve View Post
Too bad your not interested in a good solution vs an easy one

Just Say'n
Definitely more expensive too! If I'm gonna buy LED bars/squares they're for the front
Old 07-01-2014, 11:21 PM   #4
zbaldo has a spectacular aura aboutzbaldo has a spectacular aura about

Name: Ozzy
zbaldo's Tacoma Gallery
I agree squares for the back like that don't look too good, I also wouldn't want to knock one off while wheeling.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:59 AM   #6
Social Critic
DeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 23rd Infantry Division
Name: Steve
DeltaSteve's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoarder23 View Post
Not very effective offroad either, first time you go up a steep incline those are coming off.

Uhhhhhhhhhh..................Quick disconnect , 'ya heard of those + Raxman80 has the pods cheap, cheaper than the bulbs. I tried the bulbs, money down the flusher. Hey, it's your deal brother
Old 07-02-2014, 07:13 AM   #7
skippermike is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
skippermike's Tacoma Gallery
Back Up Light

I'm using an LED cockpit light from West Marine; I think it was +/-$35.
I mounted it right next to the trailer hitch, where it is pretty well protected. It is an oval shape 2 1/4"x6 1/2", on a swivel bracket. The trailer hitch takes most hits, but if I take more of a hit coming out of a gulley, the light just swivels up out of harms way. I've had it on for two Baja races and it hasn't broken. Since it is a marine light it is well waterproofed. Its cheap enough that I wouldn't cry like I would with a $300 Baja Design if something happened! I wired it in to the back up wire in the trailer harness.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:16 AM   #8
jdonnell is on a distinguished road
jdonnell's Tacoma Gallery
I like the squares, where did they come from?
Old 07-02-2014, 08:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaSteve View Post
Uhhhhhhhhhh..................Quick disconnect , 'ya heard of those + Raxman80 has the pods cheap, cheaper than the bulbs. I tried the bulbs, money down the flusher. Hey, it's your deal brother
I actually looked up the 886 fog light mod and I'm gonna go with that!
Old 07-08-2014, 09:50 AM   #10
sidetracked will become famous soon enoughsidetracked will become famous soon enough

sidetracked's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoarder23 View Post
Not very effective offroad either, first time you go up a steep incline those are coming off.
that's what these are for (provided you don't mind cutting a small hole in the bumper)

Old 07-08-2014, 09:15 PM   #11
jknc is on a distinguished road

Name: Josh
jknc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annolino122 View Post
I actually looked up the 886 fog light mod and I'm gonna go with that!
What did you end up doing and what's the result? I'm wanting to add some light in reverse for hitching as well as launching and loading the boat in the dark.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:49 AM   #12

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknc View Post
What did you end up doing and what's the result? I'm wanting to add some light in reverse for hitching as well as launching and loading the boat in the dark.
I did the Home Depot light mod, the 50 watt lights. If you check towards the end of the "886 reverse light mod" thread you'll see what I used. But I'm not impressed, my tail lights are smoked, so they didn't make enough of a difference for me. I'll probably end up mounting some LED square and having it on a switch. But I also read on that thread that if you plan on towing to not do the mod, it'll mess up you're towing lighs. So for your case, I'd get a couple mounted LED squares like I'm gonna do
Old 07-10-2014, 01:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippermike View Post
I'm using an LED cockpit light from West Marine; I think it was +/-$35.
I mounted it right next to the trailer hitch, where it is pretty well protected. It is an oval shape 2 1/4"x6 1/2", on a swivel bracket. The trailer hitch takes most hits, but if I take more of a hit coming out of a gulley, the light just swivels up out of harms way. I've had it on for two Baja races and it hasn't broken. Since it is a marine light it is well waterproofed. Its cheap enough that I wouldn't cry like I would with a $300 Baja Design if something happened! I wired it in to the back up wire in the trailer harness.
Do you think you could get a picture of how you wired them? Cause I may do that, or have them on a separate switch so I have control of when they're on and off
Old 07-10-2014, 04:35 AM   #14
jknc is on a distinguished road

Name: Josh
jknc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annolino122 View Post
I did the Home Depot light mod, the 50 watt lights. If you check towards the end of the "886 reverse light mod" thread you'll see what I used. But I'm not impressed, my tail lights are smoked, so they didn't make enough of a difference for me. I'll probably end up mounting some LED square and having it on a switch. But I also read on that thread that if you plan on towing to not do the mod, it'll mess up you're towing lighs. So for your case, I'd get a couple mounted LED squares like I'm gonna do
Ok cool I'll just go with that. Thanks for the reply!
Old 07-10-2014, 06:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknc View Post
Ok cool I'll just go with that. Thanks for the reply!
Yeah of course! Especially with a boat and stuff, it may help to be able to redirect the light where you need it
Old 07-16-2014, 02:12 PM   #16
Icepuck72 is just really niceIcepuck72 is just really niceIcepuck72 is just really niceIcepuck72 is just really nice

Firefighter:
Name: Mark
Icepuck72's Tacoma Gallery
SUB'D
Old 07-16-2014, 11:53 PM   #17

I did the homedepot mod for a friend without smoked lights and it was a good mod for him! Especially if you're not comfortable doing the 886 mod.