Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

first mod - new lights from The Retrofit Source

Old 07-05-2014, 10:39 AM   #1
billybob1 is on a distinguished road
billybob1's Tacoma Gallery
first mod - new lights from The Retrofit Source

Hi all,

Just got my 2014 Tacoma DCSB a few weeks ago, and had to retrofit in HIDs as i do with all my vehicles since Matt got me hooked about 10 years ago.

I went with the FX-R 3", with 55w ballasts and 55w 5000k Morimoto bulbs, and Apollo shrouds. Playing around, I also installed two small washers to color mod them, which i think turned out pretty good.

Shipping was lightning fast from The Retrofit Source, and it's nice knowing whenever I have a question, however dumb it is, they're right there to answer and help me out. I wish all modifications came with that support!

Install was pretty easy, and these headlights baked nice and easy using the "preheat to 200, then turn off, and bake headlights for 10min" method

Painted the whole housing Toyota black, and didn't mess with any parking light or anything yet.

I have a little bit of aiming to do later, and i'll post output pics later, but wanted to get this started, so here's some shots from a few mins ago.

Thanks TRS!

Old 07-05-2014, 08:58 PM   #2
Couple night shots:

Old 07-12-2014, 09:25 PM   #3
gatorfan4eva15 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brian
gatorfan4eva15's Tacoma Gallery
Looks real nice man! going to do almost the exact same mod. I have a white SR5 and doing the housing black and leave the DRL the same. im doing lights from the retrofit source just not sure what shrouds im putting in. One question that im not sure about? What do you hook the halos to? the parking lights? cause im not to sure. but looks great man if you have any tips im doing mine in 3 weeks.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:38 PM   #4
Izzy is on a distinguished road
Izzy's Tacoma Gallery
They look pretty neat!

how much did it cost you and how long did it take you
Old 07-23-2014, 06:04 AM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfan4eva15 View Post
Looks real nice man! going to do almost the exact same mod. I have a white SR5 and doing the housing black and leave the DRL the same. im doing lights from the retrofit source just not sure what shrouds im putting in. One question that im not sure about? What do you hook the halos to? the parking lights? cause im not to sure. but looks great man if you have any tips im doing mine in 3 weeks.
Thanks, yeah, thats where i got mine as well, TRS is the place to go!

I recently did a friends subaru with halos, and we just wired them up to the parking lights. Like the truck, we could have also wired them to the DTRL, but on his subaru, we disabled the DTRL, so that ruled that out.

A tip i could offer is to make sure you align them on the car while they are lit up. It's such a PITA to take the JBweld off if the projector isn't aligned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
They look pretty neat!

how much did it cost you and how long did it take you
I got in on TRSAndrew's Group Buy pricing.... i think it came to a little over $250 shipped from TRS. Then a few bucks for some machine screws, washers, and bolts to secure the projector, a few bucks for some paint for the housing. All in all, a pretty cheap mod for what you get! The whole process took me a Saturday to do. I started in the morning, and did paint the same day, then took a break and did some other things, then finished. So I'd say about 6-7hrs I had in it total.

Since i don't use my fogs now (because the HID's are so bright) i might put some black tint vinyl over them.... still up in the air on that one. I might wait for a really foggy day just to be sure I'm not gonna use the fogs!
Old 07-23-2014, 06:06 AM   #6
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Great mod.... Them folks at trs are a ton of help when ya need them too! Good people
Old 08-20-2014, 08:04 PM   #7
tpham55 is a name known to alltpham55 is a name known to alltpham55 is a name known to alltpham55 is a name known to alltpham55 is a name known to alltpham55 is a name known to all

Name: Tim
tpham55's Tacoma Gallery
Looks awesome!!! Just wondering what paint did you use? was it a flat black color?
Old 08-22-2014, 12:24 PM   #8
tpham55 is a name known to alltpham55 is a name known to alltpham55 is a name known to alltpham55 is a name known to alltpham55 is a name known to alltpham55 is a name known to all

Name: Tim
tpham55's Tacoma Gallery
How was adjusting the headlights? I just did my retrofit and was wondering on the steps of aiming the lights? Thanks
Old 08-25-2014, 02:45 PM   #9
Tacox109 is on a distinguished road
Tacox109's Tacoma Gallery
How much did you have to cut the reflector bowl's in order to fit the FXR's? What did you use to cut them?
Old 08-26-2014, 09:32 AM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpham55 View Post
Looks awesome!!! Just wondering what paint did you use? was it a flat black color?
I actually used base/clear from a spray gun. My friend does body work, so i just had him spray them with a black then clear them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpham55 View Post
How was adjusting the headlights? I just did my retrofit and was wondering on the steps of aiming the lights? Thanks
I aimed the first, and it was smooth, then i was rushed, and didnt aim the second, and i paid the price. I had to take that one back apart because i couldnt get it high enough with the aiming screws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacox109 View Post
How much did you have to cut the reflector bowl's in order to fit the FXR's? What did you use to cut them?
I started using a 2.5" hole saw bit, then just added a bit around using a dremel. I wouldn't even attempt it without a dremel.