Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Reverse lighting

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-18-2014, 10:11 AM   #21
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
The issue with mounting lights in your bed (vice your bumper) is your tail gate does two things:

-Reflects the light back to you, slightly blinding you when looking back
-Blocks a good amount of light, creating a blind zone behind the truck

Droping the tail gate helps, but mounting the flat lights on your bumper (unless you offroad) is your best bet.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:14 AM   #22
jknc is on a distinguished road

Name: Josh
jknc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
The issue with mounting lights in your bed (vice your bumper) is your tail gate does two things:

-Reflects the light back to you, slightly blinding you when looking back
-Blocks a good amount of light, creating a blind zone behind the truck

Droping the tail gate helps, but mounting the flat lights on your bumper (unless you offroad) is your best bet.
Well I'm thinking of backing the boat in the lake and the truck being on an incline they could help light the area.

Also if I do that I'll be keeping the bumper lights on too.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:05 PM   #23

jknc's Tacoma Gallery

$25 Walmart Lights aren't half bad. The mount is kinda flimsy, but it actually helped to aim them. I definitely wouldn't want to mount them where they take much beating. They're pretty well protected by the towing package and bumper where they are though.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:17 PM   #24
MARSHBUSTER is on a distinguished road

Firefighter:
Name: Jim
MARSHBUSTER's Tacoma Gallery
You should check out Raxman80 on here he sells the lights your looking for.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:10 PM   #25

jknc's Tacoma Gallery
I took them of the reverse light circuit, and wiring in a toggle.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:44 AM   #26

jknc's Tacoma Gallery
So I wired in the toggle, then got curious. I wired the toggle into the reverse light circuit, with some disconnects to be safe, and was able to toggle reverse lights plus the added LEDs. It also kicked on the backup camera, which I really liked. I noticed that it threw a code when I got in the truck again so I disconnected the toggle from the reverse light circuit, and took the negative terminal off the battery for a few and cleared the code. Anyone know if maybe I just accidentally grounded something or if that is going to throw a code every time?

Edit: Nevermind, going to get a couple of relays to achieve the result and isolate the circuits.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:17 PM   #27

jknc's Tacoma Gallery

Ditched the Walmart ones got these for $20 way brighter. May use the Walmart ones for bed lights or something.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:23 PM   #28
Yotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Connal
Yotabilly's Tacoma Gallery
I just got a set of the 18w led 6" bars. I have other lights up front and have no more switch space left. Would it be ok to splice into the reverse lights since they're only 18 watts? If so would I just splice hot to hot and ground to ground? Or should I ground to the frame?
Old 07-24-2014, 01:48 PM   #29

jknc's Tacoma Gallery
I had the others spliced into the reverse lights. Hot to hot and ground to ground. Works fine, I wouldn't go to a frame ground, low voltage systems don't like extra grounds sometimes. Only time I had any issues was trying to wire in a toggle as well. I wasn't thinking and sent voltage down the reverse circuit while the truck wasn't in reverse and it threw a code. It cleared with pulling the battery, but it scared me. I have a solution for that if it's the setup you want. You'd need a relay though.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:59 PM   #30
Yotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ok thanks. That what I wanted to hear. Not interested in another relay, just wanna keep it simple.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:49 PM   #31

jknc's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah just splice that bad boy in. It works great. I've set my dad's truck up that way, I just wanted to be able to toggle mine on if some ass hat bright lights me.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:43 PM   #33

jknc's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:39 AM   #34

jknc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotabilly View Post
I installed mine today.
How's the output?
Old 07-29-2014, 09:36 AM   #35
DirtJumper14 has much to be proud ofDirtJumper14 has much to be proud ofDirtJumper14 has much to be proud ofDirtJumper14 has much to be proud ofDirtJumper14 has much to be proud ofDirtJumper14 has much to be proud ofDirtJumper14 has much to be proud ofDirtJumper14 has much to be proud ofDirtJumper14 has much to be proud ofDirtJumper14 has much to be proud of
DirtJumper14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I installed mine today.
]
Looks good. For the money they are perfect and brighter than most Chinese cubes I have seen. Really happy with my set.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:44 AM   #36
Social Critic
DeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 23rd Infantry Division
Name: Steve
DeltaSteve's Tacoma Gallery
6 emitter Cree flood from Raxman80, cost like $45 super quality. When my rear plate bumper gets here I'll mount two flush ones (same size as D2). BTW Ray's a great guy

Looks like a good deal on your Amazon find !

Old 07-29-2014, 09:57 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknc View Post
How's the output?

The output is good for what they are. I'd guess they are about three times brighter than the stock reverse lights. For under $30. It's a great deal.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:57 AM   #38

jknc's Tacoma Gallery

These are the 4 LED cubes I'm using now.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:19 AM   #39
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknc View Post
I had the others spliced into the reverse lights. Hot to hot and ground to ground. Works fine, I wouldn't go to a frame ground, low voltage systems don't like extra grounds sometimes. Only time I had any issues was trying to wire in a toggle as well. I wasn't thinking and sent voltage down the reverse circuit while the truck wasn't in reverse and it threw a code. It cleared with pulling the battery, but it scared me. I have a solution for that if it's the setup you want. You'd need a relay though.
I have currently had the setup you have for several years. I had some cheapo napa fogs and spliced into the reverse wire. But they stopped working about a year ago and I have mad no effort to fix them. My main revers lights work fine so the wire must have came loose. I have been wanting to fix them but this time around I would really like to throw a toggle switch in cab that can override the reverse circuit. Problem is I have no idea how to run a circuit llke that. I assume I would need a relay but have zero experience with them. If you or someone has a diagram or something that would be amazing. Feel free to PM me, I am unlikely to remember to check this thread again lol
Old 08-07-2014, 09:37 AM   #40
wake100 is on a distinguished road
wake100's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I installed mine today.
what ones did you use?

Products Discussed in this Thread