Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

DRL's melting need new cover!!!

Old 07-10-2014, 03:44 PM   #1
gatorfan4eva15 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brian
gatorfan4eva15's Tacoma Gallery
DRL's melting need new cover!!!

Hey guys, I bought my used Tacoma about 3 months ago and want to retrofit my headlights. My DRL covers are completely melted and cracked and discolored though. I called Toyota and visited a dealership and I'm so fed up with them. Told me since my warranty is expired that they cant fix them and the only way to get it fixed is to get a brand new housing on both sides for 1200$..... and that they dont sell a piece from a recall is beyond me.So they want me to pay for something that was their fault which makes no sense at all. If ANYONE has any info on where I can get a new cover or alternate ideas I would greatly appreciate it. Because as of right now I'm pretty pissed with Toyota right now. Thanks!
Old 07-10-2014, 03:55 PM   #2
Lone Star Club
whahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jimbob
whahahajr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfan4eva15 View Post
Hey guys, I bought my used Tacoma about 3 months ago and want to retrofit my headlights. My DRL covers are completely melted and cracked and discolored though. I called Toyota and visited a dealership and I'm so fed up with them. Told me since my warranty is expired that they cant fix them and the only way to get it fixed is to get a brand new housing on both sides for 1200$..... and that they dont sell a piece from a recall is beyond me.So they want me to pay for something that was their fault which makes no sense at all. If ANYONE has any info on where I can get a new cover or alternate ideas I would greatly appreciate it. Because as of right now I'm pretty pissed with Toyota right now. Thanks!
I just took mine out and use an amber bulb. But I have a 2007
Old 07-10-2014, 04:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by whahahajr View Post
I just took mine out and use an amber bulb. But I have a 2007
Im already going to replace the bulb with an LED amber but i need a new cover because it looks like trash all melted and cracked and im not going to retrofit it with that yellow tinted, melted, cracked plastic!
Old 07-10-2014, 04:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Big thread on melting DRL lenses
Post link of one with a solution? cause ive seen a bunch with people just talking about how its melted.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:07 PM   #7
L J will become famous soon enoughL J will become famous soon enough

L J's Tacoma Gallery
I think you can push the lense loose from behind with a screw driver and it will unclip. Then you reach in with long nose pliers and grab the lense so you can chop it into pieces with side cutters or a similar tool and extract the pieces through the bulb hole. Sounds like a lot of work but you won't have to use the oven trick and risk leaking headlights.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:10 PM   #8
Mid Traveling
12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MP
Name: Roberto
12TRDTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Remove the melted lense either by disassembling the assembly, or doing as the previous poster suggested, if you dismantle them do the Black Headlight Mod while you are at it. That lense does not belong in there clearly and removing will get you back to proper conditions.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:12 PM   #9
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
This melted DRL lens thing is quite a mystery as my Canadian 2009 has had them illuminated everytime I drive since fall of '08 and mine are like new
Old 07-10-2014, 07:56 PM   #10
Mid Traveling
12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MP
Name: Roberto
12TRDTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I notice that the lenses on the majority of the 2nd gens tend to yellow out over time, making them look real crappy like. I'm glad they made those lenses removable. Not that it's even an existent problem on my '12.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:06 PM   #11
jeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
jeffvt0508's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota has a recall on melted lens in headlights.. I just got mine replaced for free..
Old 07-10-2014, 08:09 PM   #12
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Name: Chris
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffvt0508 View Post
Toyota has a recall on melted lens in headlights.. I just got mine replaced for free..
Lies!
Old 07-10-2014, 08:41 PM   #14
TXPRO4X4 is on a distinguished road

Name: Bryan
TXPRO4X4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffvt0508 View Post
Mine are melting to! I'm still under warranty. I'll post let you know the outcome.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:25 AM   #15
Lone Star Club
whahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jimbob
whahahajr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by L J View Post
I think you can push the lense loose from behind with a screw driver and it will unclip. Then you reach in with long nose pliers and grab the lense so you can chop it into pieces with side cutters or a similar tool and extract the pieces through the bulb hole. Sounds like a lot of work but you won't have to use the oven trick and risk leaking headlights.
That's what I did.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:35 AM   #16
ToyotaPartsMan is on a distinguished road

ToyotaPartsMan's Tacoma Gallery
I Work for a Toyota dealership. Toyota did just release an extended warranty campaign (6/25/14) on the Tacoma headlamp assy.'s for this reason. jeffvt0508 is being truthful! Go get them fixed ASAP! Attached is the info on this warranty extension.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf T-WB-POL14-03-D.pdf (74.0 KB, 741 views)
Old 07-11-2014, 10:59 AM   #17
jeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thanks. Felt like people didn't believe me...lol
Old 07-11-2014, 12:31 PM   #19
doughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
doughboy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaPartsMan View Post
I Work for a Toyota dealership. Toyota did just release an extended warranty campaign (6/25/14) on the Tacoma headlamp assy.'s for this reason. jeffvt0508 is being truthful! Go get them fixed ASAP! Attached is the info on this warranty extension.
does this warranty apply to tacomas that did not come with factory drl? like for someone who added the drl relay.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:51 PM   #20

My factory called it a recall and for anyone that chose to get them fixed and had issues other places to come to them