1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Water / Weatherproof Carling/Daystart/OTRATTW Style Switch - Where to buy?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by MikeyMcFly, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Jul 15, 2014 at 5:32 PM
    MikeyMcFly

MikeyMcFly [OP] This is heavy, Doc.

Member:
    I'm a Masshole
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road 6MT / 1999 Corvette 6MT
    Building a Broja
    Hi all,

Was hoping someone might be able to help me with sourcing an item.

I'm hoping to start my bed lamp project soon by doing waterproof SMD lights under the rails. I've already got my lights purchased and now I'm just looking to buy a switch.

I have decided for ease of wiring to do a switched ground setup utilizing the tail lamp running light wires as my (+) and (-). This way I don't have to run wires the length of the frame to get power and have to find a location for a switch in the cab. The reason I'm doing a switched ground is that I would like to use a 3-position switch so that I can turn the bed lights on when the tail lights are illuminated or I can set them to turn on when the tail gate is opened if the tail lights are illuminated.

My thought for this is that it will cut down on the number of times the lights are turned on and off compared to a conventional tail gate on/off switch.

The problem I am having is finding a 3-position Daystar / Carling / OTRATTW style switch that is waterproof. I wanted to mount the switch inside the bed in the upper corner where it is easily accessible but not susceptible to damage. I know that they sell single gang mounting points to fit the switch in which will give me a high quality looking installation. I put in an email to OTRATTW explaining what I was looking for but my email landed on deaf ears and I haven't received a reply in almost 2 weeks.

Does anyone here have any ideas on what I could use? If not that style, maybe a link to a high quality weatherproof 3-position switch they have used or know someone has used? I don't want to purchase something that may short out or cause me any additional headaches.

If anyone has any experience why this whole plan may be a bad idea, please let me know as I'd love any opinions on the matter.

Thanks!

2. Aug 10, 2014 at 10:33 PM
    ACEkraut

ACEkraut Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Topsham, Maine
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD Off Road
    Any luck with your switch quest?

Products Discussed in