Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Spray on Headlight protection?

Old 07-18-2014, 07:26 AM   #1
braik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud of
braik's Tacoma Gallery
Spray on Headlight protection?

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...ghts-(possibly)

This guy has a bright idea. I don't suppose anyone would like to chime in as to its effectiveness would they? Near the end he says his fogs have gone 9mos without any negative effects.

I'd much rather buy a $25 can of this stuff and reapply every year than use the film that is such a PITA to put on. Plus this may actually help some lenses that have been used for awhile and seem all scratched up.

SEE POST #10 FOR UPDATE
Old 07-21-2014, 08:09 AM   #2
braik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud of
braik's Tacoma Gallery
Come on guys. Someone has to have an opinion about this one way or the other.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:15 AM   #3
BDS'd
RadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant future

Name: NEIL
RadTaco914's Tacoma Gallery
I've seen plasti dip done before..Never this yet. In theory I dont see why it wouldnt work fine? If the clarity is good enough and it doesnt scatter the light output then I say go for it and let us know the outcome
Old 07-21-2014, 08:23 AM   #4
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Here is a thread using a urethane product that has UV protection in it. It's not removable but if it works you don't need to remove it.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...eadlights.html
Old 07-21-2014, 08:45 AM   #5
BDS'd
RadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant future

Name: NEIL
RadTaco914's Tacoma Gallery
^ Interesting find...
Old 07-21-2014, 08:58 AM   #6
braik's Tacoma Gallery
I like that. But it isn't really the same category as the spray I posted. The 3M stuff is supposed to stop scratches and chips as well as fill in those scratches.

So it seems the best method would be to sand/refinish/urethane, and THEN spray on the film to keep them clear and smooth.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:02 AM   #7
braik's Tacoma Gallery
Right. So I'm going to experiment a little on some hazy lenses I have sitting around. I'll post in here with results, unless no one is watching, in which case I'll start another thread. Here's the start.

This is about 20sec after giving it a 3rd coat. The orange peel look is supposed to go away after a day or so.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:04 AM   #8
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by braik View Post
Right. So I'm going to experiment a little on some hazy lenses I have sitting around. I'll post in here with results, unless no one is watching, in which case I'll start another thread. Here's the start.

This is about 20sec after giving it a 3rd coat. The orange peel look is supposed to go away after a day or so.
man this is like watching paint dry. Lol
Old 09-10-2014, 10:10 AM   #9
braik's Tacoma Gallery
Good news is I started a couple days ago, just got around to posting. So I'll put up the "after" pictures in a few hours when I get home.

Basically if it dries clear, covers up some scratches or hazing, and comes off clean I'm going to call it a win. It would be much easier to spray this stuff on and wait a day rather than sand, polish, and coat. Plus it had the added benefit of soaking up scratches instead of the actual lens.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:20 PM   #10
braik's Tacoma Gallery
Alright. Update time. I waxed a different one and let it dry, then removed the film. This way it was a much more thorough test.

Here they are side by side. The one on the right actually has the product applied
Spray on Headlight protection?-img_20140912_174317461.jpg

Here's the small scratches on the lens about to have the product applied.
Spray on Headlight protection?-img_20140912_181435941.jpg

And the oxidation that happens to everyone who lives in a somewhat sunny place
Spray on Headlight protection?-img_20140912_181608221.jpg

VOILA! No more small scratches! (don't mind that rip in the top left, I picked at it before it was completely dry)
Spray on Headlight protection?-img_20140914_140943322.jpg

And the oxidation is hidden too!
Spray on Headlight protection?-img_20140914_141012558.jpg

It peels off after some coaxing, but the oxidated portions of the headlight adhere a little better and leave this behind when you take it off. The rest of the lens is clear, and I'd bet my next paycheck those streaks would disappear if you reapplied the film.
Spray on Headlight protection?-img_20140912_180623361.jpg

Here the small scratches are back after I took off the film.
Spray on Headlight protection?-img_20140914_142839147.jpg

I'd say if you're trying to protect fog lights, or new headlights definitely use this stuff. If you're trying to save old headlights, this will make them look good until you need to reapply. Which, according to the label is about a year. It doesn't seem to block any light, and you couldn't possibly tell it was on there unless you touched the lens. The only downside is the long drying period (8hrs) that you can't use your truck, or let dust get on it.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:32 PM   #11
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Cool.
I am amazed at how clear it is. I thought it might impact the light output, but it seems to be very smooth and 100% clear.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:36 PM   #12
braik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerseun View Post
Cool.
I am amazed at how clear it is. I thought it might impact the light output, but it seems to be very smooth and 100% clear.
There's only the tiniest amount of orange peel effect if you are staring hard from a close distance. But other than that it seems to be perfect. According to the reviews, the thicker you put it on, the easier it is to get off. So I might keep that in mind next time I try to use it. The wax that came with it really helped too.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:38 PM   #13
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
^^
Old 09-14-2014, 06:35 PM   #14
toendanger is just really nicetoendanger is just really nicetoendanger is just really nicetoendanger is just really nicetoendanger is just really nice
Name: Harlan
toendanger's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd. Def might do this with my next set instead of the film. Would be much nicer to just peel it off and reapply after getting scratches from shrubs when trail running. Nice!
Old 09-14-2014, 06:44 PM   #15
braik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toendanger View Post
Sub'd. Def might do this with my next set instead of the film. Would be much nicer to just peel it off and reapply after getting scratches from shrubs when trail running. Nice!
I didn't even think of that! Definitely use the wax it came with and apply the spray pretty thick if you're planning on taking it off quickly. Still takes about 20min to remove though.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:21 PM   #16
toendanger is just really nicetoendanger is just really nicetoendanger is just really nicetoendanger is just really nicetoendanger is just really nice
Well its time for another update. How are they holding up? Any light scratches or hazing or anything like that since you got em done? I'm still debating on this or using the uv film sheets for my next retro. I've had my aftermarket housings with projectors start to yellow and haze finally after almost 2 years. Basically through one summer (installed in Jan '13) in az they are toast. Also the chrome surrounding trim is cracking and peeling Wonder if I should use this on that trim too. or just clear coat the trim.. hmm..
Old 10-29-2014, 02:26 PM   #17
braik's Tacoma Gallery
Nothing like that. They were still holding up fine until the wife threw them away last week :/

This stuff is technically made for paint, so using it on the trim should be perfectly fine. It's supposed to be like a clear bra substance.

The only negative I saw, was when it was removed from the portions of the light that were sun damaged (before I sprayed them) it left behind a weird pattern, like it left a residue. Nothing on the part of the light that wasn't damaged, and it looked perfectly fine while it was applied.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:46 PM   #18
Oh ok. I didn't realize you didn't have them installed and they were just extra lenses. Hmm.. I just don't know what to do.... Was that stuff pretty solid/smooth like a clear coat? Or was it a sticky/tacky/rubbery feel to it? I'm just wondering how it holds up to washes.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:51 PM   #19
braik's Tacoma Gallery
It was a bit rubbery, but definitely not tacky. If you've ever used Plastidip it's the same constancy. Or a smartphone screen protector, very similar material seems like.

It was super smooth. You couldn't tell it was applied unless you left an edge somewhere.

It should hold up to washes just fine. Like I said, it was made to be put on a car.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:38 PM   #20
Gotcha. Well, I don't mean to dissuade anyone as this is a great solution, but I'm still doing my research. I read in another forum that they used the xpel and it lasted them like 10 years with great protection. But I didn't read further to see what kind of conditions it was exposed to...