1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Boost Gauge and Dimmer Switch lighting, need help

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by TPain, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Jul 25, 2014 at 7:57 PM
    TPain

TPain [OP] Boss

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 Supercharged
    I have put in the TRD boost gauge and it works just fine. The problem I have is that I can not get the bulbs to work. I have blown 5 fuses trying to get these to work. I bought, I think it is, sylvania 37 replacement bulbs because the ones in it when I bought it were blown. I tried connecting the lights to the dimmer switch and after a while of troubleshooting that didn't work and now my dimmer switch doesn't work. I connected the bulb wires to the dimmer wires on the back of the stereo (orange-white and orange-black) and that blew a fuse. I tried connecting the ground to two different spots behind the fuse box with the power wire connected to the dimmer switch and I blew a fuse both times. I would really like to get these lights working just because it looks like a dark hole while driving at night and now my dimmer switch quit working. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated!

2. Jul 25, 2014 at 8:00 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    use an add a fuse and tie into something like the washer fluid circuit, windshield wiper, or any other keyed ON fuse.

Its gunna be easier ............. on the second Gens atleast the dimmer is activated by the ground I think........ Its all screwy for us and i ran into issues doing my boost gauge until I did the add a fuse idea and now its flawless.

3. Jul 25, 2014 at 8:06 PM
    TPain

TPain [OP] Boss

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 Supercharged
    Alright, I'll try that. Any idea on how to get my dimmer switch working again. It wouldn't be a big deal to me if it didn't work as long as my dash lights were bright, but they are only like half way on right now.

4. Jul 25, 2014 at 8:08 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    Id like to take a stab at it and say it maybe a fuse.................. but Im not 100% sure, I think some have fried the switch before.

But Im a second gen and I HOPE I am wrong for your sake.......... Hoping others can chime in :eek:

5. Jul 26, 2014 at 1:41 PM
    TPain

TPain [OP] Boss

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 Supercharged
    I have hooked this up every way I know possible and blown a fuse every single time. I really need help with this.

6. Jul 26, 2014 at 3:30 PM
    theblindchicken

theblindchicken Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Long Beach
    Vehicle:
    '74 K10
    HID's, LED Dash swap, LED reverse lights, 15"x10" 5 slot mags, sliding rear window, 20gal aux. DS fuel tank,
    Have you checked the boost gauge to see if there is a short in it without the bulb?

7. Jul 26, 2014 at 7:56 PM
    TPain

TPain [OP] Boss

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 Supercharged
    How would I go about doing that?

8. Jul 26, 2014 at 8:46 PM
    theblindchicken

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Long Beach
    Vehicle:
    '74 K10
    HID's, LED Dash swap, LED reverse lights, 15"x10" 5 slot mags, sliding rear window, 20gal aux. DS fuel tank,
    Check for resistance between the +12v for the bulb and the ground WITHOUT a bulb in the socket. That will tell you whether there is a short in that circuit.

If it's open, then it's fine. If there is a connection (should read 0 Ohms), then you have a short.

9. Jul 26, 2014 at 9:02 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    On my 1st gen TRD boost gauge I just tapped into the driving light wire for power to the backlight. Turn on the headlights & it came on with the rest of the dash lights. :notsure:

Been a while but I remember it not being an issue to hook up at all.

Hope you get it worked out. :thumbsup:

10. Jul 27, 2014 at 8:51 AM
    t_e

t_e Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    miami,fl
    Which fuse do you keep blowing? Sounds like you might have tapped a wire that doesnt have enough juice. I would advise not to go to the dimmer, find the corner light wire and tap that so the gauge turns on with the lights on the first click.

11. Jul 28, 2014 at 7:45 AM
    TPain

TPain [OP] Boss

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 Supercharged
    the tail 10A fuse in the engine. It connects to the dash lights and corner lights too. I'm going to try connecting it directly to the corner lights and if that doesn't work then I know it's not me doing something wrong.

12. Jul 28, 2014 at 7:47 AM
    TPain

TPain [OP] Boss

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 Supercharged
    I'm guessing it should be a lot easier than it has been for me. thanks

13. Jul 28, 2014 at 7:47 AM
    TPain

TPain [OP] Boss

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 Supercharged
    Alright, I'll try that today

14. Jul 31, 2014 at 4:04 PM
    TPain

TPain [OP] Boss

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 Supercharged
    Both bulb sockets were shorting out. Took them apart and made sure they were no longer touching. There is a certain way the bulbs have to fit in the sockets for them to work. But the good news is that now they work after about 15 failed attempts lol.

15. Aug 1, 2014 at 12:49 AM
    theblindchicken

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Long Beach
    Vehicle:
    '74 K10
    Glad to hear you got it all figured out. Whenever a fuse pops repeatedly, always check for a short (especially in whatever you just changed last).

Products Discussed in

To Top