Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

My Footwell/cupholder interior accent led project (AKA Fighter Pilot Cockpit Mod)

Old 04-14-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
Blinking Car Mod...
RedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
RedruM29's Tacoma Gallery
My Footwell/cupholder interior accent led project (AKA Fighter Pilot Cockpit Mod)

So i decided to stay home and take a sick day today and i decided it was time to start my latest project. I ordered my Leds from http://www.oznium.com/prewired-superflux i got 5 of the orange Superflux Leds to light up my footwells, cup holder, and vent behind center console. I also purchased an led on/off switch that many people have used to fit the factory blanks (amber Led). So while i am waiting for the goods to get here tomorrow, i took apart my interior a little to familiarize myself with my upcoming project. Here are the items i am going to be using to do the install:

Items List (that i used)
- (5) Orange Led lights
- 80' total 18 gauge wire (Red&Black power wire)
- Assorted Crimp-on female spade connectors for 18 gauge wire
- Assorted Crimp-on ring connectors for 18 gauge wire
- (1) switch for the dash (lighted)
- (1) mini fuse tap
- (2) 10 amp fuses to fit the fuse tap
- Black plastic wire loom tubing
- Black Zip ties
- Electrical tape
- A crimp connector tool
- Crimp Caps
- T taps
- Shrink wrapping
- Wire cutters/ wire stripper
- test light/ voltmeter
- Phillips/ flat head screwdriver
- Socket set

Thanks to Rhoppas for the DIY after market lights thread
Thanks to Totmacher at custom tacos for his thread (http://www.customtacos.com/forum/sho...ght=led+lights)
Attached Thumbnails
My Footwell/cupholder interior accent led project (AKA Fighter Pilot Cockpit Mod)-interior-023.jpg   My Footwell/cupholder interior accent led project (AKA Fighter Pilot Cockpit Mod)-interior-006.jpg   My Footwell/cupholder interior accent led project (AKA Fighter Pilot Cockpit Mod)-interior-001.jpg  
Old 04-14-2009, 02:42 PM   #3
Stayed Up Too Late
Untamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0311-Bravo 1/23 4th Mar. Div. Reserves
Name: Adam
Untamed_SS's Tacoma Gallery
Its gunna be sweet. Can't wait to see it man!
Old 04-14-2009, 02:44 PM   #4
Buzzard?
Corralitos4x4 is on a distinguished road

Army: PFC, Discharged 12/2005
Corralitos4x4's Tacoma Gallery
neat
Old 04-14-2009, 02:59 PM   #5
Blinking Car Mod...
RedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

First i decided to fit my fuses together and make sure the add a circuit was going to fit. I won't be using a relay because 5 leds should not draw enough power to need it. It went right in after a firm push then i choose my route to get to the center console. After looking at the diagrams on http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/...a/06000110.pdf I opened up the area around the shifter and found all the screws i would need to remove to make the pilot hole for the cup holder. I want to put an Led or two in the vent in the back of the center console to give the back a little orange light too. I took a picture of the inside of the center console to show the screws needed to remove the back part of the unit. While i had the corrugated carpet piece from the bottom of the console out i put some tape making a handle for easy access next time. I also drilled out the black plastic cup holder divider to make some light holes and a place for the superflux led to fit in the divider.
Attached Thumbnails
My Footwell/cupholder interior accent led project (AKA Fighter Pilot Cockpit Mod)-interior-010.jpg   My Footwell/cupholder interior accent led project (AKA Fighter Pilot Cockpit Mod)-interior-012.jpg   My Footwell/cupholder interior accent led project (AKA Fighter Pilot Cockpit Mod)-interior-025.jpg   My Footwell/cupholder interior accent led project (AKA Fighter Pilot Cockpit Mod)-interior-003.jpg   My Footwell/cupholder interior accent led project (AKA Fighter Pilot Cockpit Mod)-interior-005.jpg  

Old 04-14-2009, 03:03 PM   #6
Blinking Car Mod...

Some more pics

Side note: if anyone has any tips, tricks, or knowledge to impart, please do as it is much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
My Footwell/cupholder interior accent led project (AKA Fighter Pilot Cockpit Mod)-interior-021.jpg   My Footwell/cupholder interior accent led project (AKA Fighter Pilot Cockpit Mod)-interior-002.jpg   My Footwell/cupholder interior accent led project (AKA Fighter Pilot Cockpit Mod)-interior-004.jpg  
Old 04-17-2009, 12:44 PM   #7
Blinking Car Mod...

Finished

I got the package yesterday and everything came in a bubble wrapped envelope, I got the LEDS in three days! I am definitely going to order from Oznium again... The install took me around three hours to do everything I wanted to do, there was also a bit of partying going on at the same time, so it slowed my efforts a little.

Disconnected battery first. I had made the harnesses and shrink wrapped everything up tight. I then attached the ends of the supply lead to the switch. I grounded the switch to the ground in the center console so i didn't have to go through the firewall(which was pretty sealed up i might add). I then connected the switch to the add a fuse and shrink wrapped the connectors. I then ran all the wires through the black loom tubing ziptied up nice and tight out of the way to the center console.

While i was at the center console i put the first LED in the cupholder and it was a perfect fit under the divider. It needed some work to set the light flush into the plastic so i drilled out more and it fit fine. I siliconed this one in case of spills and wired it up with crimp caps and taped it. To get the vent how i wanted it i Zip tied and loomed the wire right into the spot i wanted it. With the superflux LED i was able to use one to light it up how i wanted with a subtle glow. I put the back of the console back on and ran my two other LEDs up to the floor vents(driver and passenger sides). I zip tied the LEDs instead of taping them for fear of the tape melting.

I cleaned up everything and made sure to shrink wrap and tape all exposing wires or connectors(don't want to short out the circuit). Put the cupholders and middle console back in. Cleaned up all the tools and tested the lights, perfection. It was dark last night so i was happy to see that four LEDs lit up the truck just how i wanted, a subtle orange glow that is perfect for night vision. I still have one LED left so i have to decide where i am going to put it, Maybe someone could recommend somewhere.

I hope everyone enjoyed my project, if anyone wants to do something like this and needs help just PM me.
Attached Thumbnails
My Footwell/cupholder interior accent led project (AKA Fighter Pilot Cockpit Mod)-img_1381.jpg   My Footwell/cupholder interior accent led project (AKA Fighter Pilot Cockpit Mod)-img_1378.jpg   My Footwell/cupholder interior accent led project (AKA Fighter Pilot Cockpit Mod)-img_1368.jpg   My Footwell/cupholder interior accent led project (AKA Fighter Pilot Cockpit Mod)-img_1375.jpg   My Footwell/cupholder interior accent led project (AKA Fighter Pilot Cockpit Mod)-img_1372.jpg  

Old 04-17-2009, 12:48 PM   #8
Blinking Car Mod...

sorry the pictures were taken in the morning
Attached Thumbnails
My Footwell/cupholder interior accent led project (AKA Fighter Pilot Cockpit Mod)-img_1386.jpg   My Footwell/cupholder interior accent led project (AKA Fighter Pilot Cockpit Mod)-img_1374.jpg   My Footwell/cupholder interior accent led project (AKA Fighter Pilot Cockpit Mod)-img_1385.jpg   My Footwell/cupholder interior accent led project (AKA Fighter Pilot Cockpit Mod)-img_1376.jpg   My Footwell/cupholder interior accent led project (AKA Fighter Pilot Cockpit Mod)-img_1371.jpg  

Old 04-17-2009, 12:51 PM   #9
rabble rabble rabble
dud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Humane Officer
Name: Dan
dud122's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dud122
get some pictures that show the whole cab at night... i would be interested to see that
Old 04-17-2009, 12:59 PM   #10
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
cool project. Is it just for show or does it provide any amount of usable lighting?
Old 04-17-2009, 12:59 PM   #11
Blinking Car Mod...

one more for good measure.
Attached Thumbnails
My Footwell/cupholder interior accent led project (AKA Fighter Pilot Cockpit Mod)-img_1387.jpg  
Old 04-17-2009, 01:03 PM   #12
Blinking Car Mod...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
cool project. Is it just for show or does it provide any amount of usable lighting?
It is a little of both i guess, I wanted to light the interior up at night if i drop something. I also wanted to see my cupholders for the numerous things that i put in there. This mod actually had a good side effect, it lit up my 4x4 switch a little too. The vent was more aesthetic in the beginning but now i can see in the dark on the floor so....
Old 04-17-2009, 01:06 PM   #13
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I guess I'm a bit late with a suggestion, but I think that I would mount an LED shining down on the cupholders instead of shining up.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:10 PM   #14
Blinking Car Mod...

I thought of that but there was no space above the cupholders that would have kept it from shining in my eyes. This way i can hide the LED inside the divider without getting blinded. good suggestion though if i could recess the LED i would do it your way.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:07 PM   #15
Blinking Car Mod...

thanks
Old 04-17-2009, 05:17 PM   #16
I think I'm getting the Fear.
MY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53-E Crewchief/Mechanic, HMH-464
Name: Mojo
MY50cal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dud122 View Post
get some pictures that show the whole cab at night... i would be interested to see that
X2

nice work, looks good bro. nothing like taking a sick day to do up a new mod
Old 04-17-2009, 08:49 PM   #17
Blinking Car Mod...

I'm going out for my first night ride with the new night vision tonight. I'll post back with pictures of the glow when i get back.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:28 PM   #18
Blinking Car Mod...

ok my camera sucks i can't take photos in the dark and make the lights show up... ugh
Old 04-19-2009, 12:50 PM   #19
jeff6001 is on a distinguished road
jeff6001's Tacoma Gallery
Still looks pretty sick though. How many hours total did it take you?
Old 04-19-2009, 01:28 PM   #20
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedruM29 View Post
I thought of that but there was no space above the cupholders that would have kept it from shining in my eyes. This way i can hide the LED inside the divider without getting blinded. good suggestion though if i could recess the LED i would do it your way.
In the '09s, there is a little part of the dash that's bumped in that provides a nice little overhang. I have thought about doing this very mod - foot wells and cupholders...