1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Reverse lights dual function as strobe

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by firetaco18, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Aug 22, 2014 at 8:32 PM
    firetaco18

firetaco18 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I am trying to get my reverse lights to function as strobe lights but also be functional reverse lights when needed. I have a strobe controller, I just don't want to tap it into the reverse lights because I know it can fry something. So is there a way to keep the electricity from the strobe controller to go to the light without "backflowing" through the stock harness.

Part 2 is to get the reverse lights to strobe out of sequence. (If I tap into one the other will blink sequentially as reverse lights come on together). So almighty electronic gods please help!

2. Aug 22, 2014 at 10:07 PM
    MATACO

MATACO Active Member

Member:
    Port Coquitlam, B.C.
    Vehicle:
    Alpine White TRD
    With very little thought put into it, a diode inline with the reverse wiring will prevent the "backflow", and with only a 0.7v drop the light output shouldnt be affected much. I would have to see the schematic for the strobe controler to give a more educated responce.

3. Aug 22, 2014 at 10:12 PM
    firetaco18

Member:
    Cool thanks. The schematic is not readily available as it is a cheap unit from ebay, however, it functions well. I will look more into diodes. I am pretty much self taught by referring to TW and other forums so I never did anything like this before.

So then my next question is if the factory wiring harness for the reverse lights has a built in diode? No need to install another if there is one in place right?

Also what size or type of diode is reccomended? I have led reverse lights installed and the strobe unit is made for leds so I assume nothing large.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Aug 23, 2014 at 5:57 AM
    beondwacko

beondwacko Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Palm Beach, Florida
    Vehicle:
    08' X-Runner , Sirius radio, fog light mod. Much more to go.
    You would have to match the diode size by the current rating of the diode itself. You need to calculate the load or current draw of you lights however you have it set up. I don't know if you are running the standard lamps in the reverse lights or the halogen upgrade but keep in mind that those will not react nearly as quickly as LEDs. Unless you are planning a wig/wag set up ( left light right light alternating flash set up ) I would only do this with LEDs.

5. Aug 23, 2014 at 6:52 AM
    firetaco18

Member:
    Fortunately I have the IPCW tail lights which are all LED and I switched the reverse lights to Cree LED bulbs.
    Here are my tail lights.
    Here are my reverse lights.

So I am showing my naivety here but would this work?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  6. Aug 23, 2014 at 6:46 PM
    MATACO

MATACO Active Member

Member:
    Port Coquitlam, B.C.
    Vehicle:
    Alpine White TRD
    That is a 1amp diode, what is the current rating of the cree reverse light?
    LEDs are a bit tricky to calculate.
    The actual current will be reduced by the voltage drop across the diode.
    The reverse light looks like a single LED, if it was an array, the voltage drop from the diode plays more of a roll.

7. Sep 1, 2014 at 9:33 AM
    firetaco18

Member:
    Sorry never saw your reply, I just got back from vacation. I am not sure of the current rating. I don't know a whole lot about electricity, just enough to get by. I have a multimeter (that I obviously have never used) so I'll try to get a reading if I can figure it out.

Not sure if you can figure it out from this, but here is the exact listing of the ones I bought: Ebay reverse lights

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  8. Sep 2, 2014 at 8:49 AM
    MATACO

MATACO Active Member

Member:
    Port Coquitlam, B.C.
    Vehicle:
    Alpine White TRD
    The listing calls them 7w output, so worst case 10w draw if 70% efficient. That would result in a 830mA current draw. So the 1A diode you quoted before will work just fine. This is all in regard to the normal function of the reverse lights with the diode installed. Now on to the strobe driver setup. The diode quoted was rated at 1000V, so there should be no way to reverse bias it in this setup. I would say your truck will be safe, but I take no responseability for any damage incured. I would try this in my truck if that adds any comfort. ;)
    How long the led will last is another story, is the strobe driver designed for leds?
    My breif read about cree leds stated, "they require a soft start for switching".

9. Sep 2, 2014 at 2:56 PM
    firetaco18

Member:
    The strobe device is hooked up to cheap led's originally. The "cree" lights I think are only cree style so I think thats all good. If I can get a second on ^^^^^this^^^^ I will try it out.

Now that this is solved. The next thing I want to do is hook up my xB halo's from TRS the same way.

BTW thanks for the info, super helpful as there is like no info on the interwebs about this project.:thumbsup:

10. Apr 8, 2017 at 7:13 AM
    albert_220

albert_220 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    albert
    Vehicle:
    02 tacoma
    none
    How can I wire my reverse lights to become work lights

11. Apr 8, 2017 at 8:54 AM
    MATACO

MATACO Active Member

Member:
    Port Coquitlam, B.C.
    Vehicle:
    Alpine White TRD
    Do you just want to turn them on with a switch? What is your intent, can you be more specific than "work lights"?

12. Apr 10, 2017 at 2:37 PM
    albert_220

albert_220 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    albert
    Vehicle:
    02 tacoma
    none
    I want to be able to switch my reverse lights on if I'm loading somthing at night

13. Apr 11, 2017 at 4:00 PM
    MATACO

MATACO Active Member

Member:
    Port Coquitlam, B.C.
    Vehicle:
    Alpine White TRD
    This can be achieved in a couple different ways.
    Easiest way keys turned forward just before starter engaged, put in reverse. But, I know that's not what you want to do.
    You could wire to an illuminated switch on the dash without much difficulty. I don't have a copy of the wiring diagrams with me, so that's about the extent of the technical info I can provide.
    With the ability to turn the lights on from a switch comes the ability to leave them on while driving, this will result in a hefty fine where I live. (I know from experience as a passenger in a truck that got stopped and fined)
    An interlock to prevent this would be ideal, but complex, sorta.
    If you have the ability to read the wiring diagram, then I say go for it. If not, I suggest you pay an installer to do it for you.

14. Apr 11, 2017 at 10:01 PM
    albert_220

albert_220 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    albert
    Vehicle:
    02 tacoma
    none
    Lol yea i want to mess with ppl that tailgate me too ,thanks I'll look into it

Products Discussed in

To Top