1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

LED Tail light issue

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by MurphMan, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Sep 3, 2014 at 5:33 PM
    MurphMan

MurphMan [OP] Senility Rocks!

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    * AFE Stage 2 XP CAI System * Westin Platinum Series Black Step Bars * TruXedo Lo Pro QT Soft Roll-Up Tonneau * Dee Zee Heavyweight Truck Bed Mat * WeatherTech Extreme-Duty Floor Liners * WeatherTech In-Channel Window Visors * Sony Xplod CDX-GT81UW Receiver * Sony Xplod 2-way speakers * Boss Audio BASS600 Amplified Subwoofer * Billet Grille Mod
    Hi!

Anyone install these lights on their truck? I saw them and had to have them. Look even better in person. But, I plug them in and nothing. No turn signal or running light. Plug the old bulbs in and they work fine. I guess I could have gotten a bad pair, but the odds don't work for me.

[​IMG]

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Sep 5, 2014 at 3:29 PM
    o0oSHADOWo0o

o0oSHADOWo0o Just lurking in the darkness

Member:
    First Name:
    Shadow
    Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    2012 Double Cab Short Bed 4x4 TRD Sport
    Just a few LEDs...
    LEDs are polarity sensitive. It is possible that these are wired up with the opposite polarity from the way the Tacoma does. Try using a couple of wires to jump between the factory plug and one of the sets of lights to see if that works. If it does, all you have to do is modify the harness going to the lights.

You can also easily test the lights by using a battery to test each section.

3. Sep 5, 2014 at 5:40 PM
    MurphMan

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    * AFE Stage 2 XP CAI System * Westin Platinum Series Black Step Bars * TruXedo Lo Pro QT Soft Roll-Up Tonneau * Dee Zee Heavyweight Truck Bed Mat * WeatherTech Extreme-Duty Floor Liners * WeatherTech In-Channel Window Visors * Sony Xplod CDX-GT81UW Receiver * Sony Xplod 2-way speakers * Boss Audio BASS600 Amplified Subwoofer * Billet Grille Mod
    Tried reversing polarity, made no difference. Stock bulbs light up so its pointing to the lights. I sent them back, might try another. One thing I did notice was a rapid blinking when I did plug them in. LEDs wouldn't light up, but the front light was blinking wicked fast. I would think that if a load resister was needed, they'd build them into the light where all tacos are the same for 2nd gen 05 to 08.

4. Sep 14, 2014 at 2:38 PM
    MurphMan

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Sent the lights back to the ebay'er and bought them from a vendor through Amazon. Fired them up and they work perfectly, don't even need a load resistor. They're a lot brighter than the old lights. I like 'em!
    [​IMG]

5. Sep 14, 2014 at 9:39 PM
    o0oSHADOWo0o

Member:
    First Name:
    Shadow
    Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    Just a few LEDs...
    I'm glad to hear they got you fixed up. It sucks when you buy something and get disappointed when stuff doesn't work right.

Do you think you could get some pictures of these at night with just the parking lights and the brake lights on? You might as well get a shot of the reverse lights too.

6. Sep 24, 2014 at 5:47 PM
    MurphMan

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma TRD Sport
  7. Sep 24, 2014 at 6:10 PM
    o0oSHADOWo0o

Member:
    First Name:
    Shadow
    Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    Just a few LEDs...
    Those look nice. I went with some Depo lights off of Ebay
    I found these in a box by my front door when I got home today. Hooray !!! [​IMG]
    These appear to be high quality and are constructed very well.

BHLM is next...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top