Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Projectors always take a second time to ignite now.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:30 PM   #1
toendanger is on a distinguished road
Name: Harlan
toendanger's Tacoma Gallery
Question Projectors always take a second time to ignite now.

Ok so I've got the morimoto 35w hid kit with projectors. I've had them installed for about a year and a half. A few months ago I started having problems with the hids igniting. I've told Trs about the problem and they said to test the ballasts first by connecting it straight to the battery. This was after they told me to check the little gold box , the connector, for any signs of damage or loose connection but it still looks brand new..
Now, this problem is kind of intermittent. I want to say its the ballasts, but I suppose it could be many things. I just don't know where to start to diagnose it. I heard a while back that people were having problems with their ballasts in cold situations, but mine seems to be the opposite. Seems the warmer it is the harder it is for them to ignite. But for all I know it could be a bad connection somewhere. But I really don't think so. I made sure all my wiring was done with the best connectors and took my sweet time installing it.
What happens, is the hids don't ever ignite the first time when I turn the headlights on. I have turn the switch back off, then the second time they will ignite. There have been about three instances where they wouldn't ignite at all for about 5 min.s when I sat there switching it off and on a thousand times until they finally ignited. This mostly happens when they've been on for an extended time and if I turn them off then back on they won't ignite for a while. Almost like it has to cool down before they'll ignite again. There has been one instance where they were on only momentarily, then they wouldn't come on again If shut off. Lately it just seems to take two times for them to work. Getting annoying and want to fix this. Hoping someone has had a similar problem or maybe what could be causing this.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:50 PM   #2
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Bummer.... Where is the ballast Mounted for each side, and with what?
Old 09-14-2014, 11:03 PM   #3
On the fender wall each side. Mounted with the little metal bracket they supplied. I was wondering if that may be an issue. Because the bracket only has one point to mount on one end, and the ballast kinda vibrates/wiggles against the fender because it's so heavy and the metal bracket is pretty thin and flimsy. But I've kinda tapped em when they wouldn't turn on and it didn't do anything.

Edit: And I live on a pretty rocky/bumpy dirt road so...
Old 09-14-2014, 11:26 PM   #4
On a side note, I purchased the kit in Nov 2012. Although I haven't had them installed for that time. Like I said about 1.5 years. Whoever I spoke to at Trs said they didn't have the ballast issues since April 2013. So I'm wondering if maybe they thought I had purchased them after the new generation ballasts had been redesigned, seeing as I emailed them after that. But I would think they wouldve looked it up in their records. Idk. I'm just leaning towards ballasts. I don't see how the bulbs could cause this. Maybe the relay box but like I said it is nice and clean.
Other thoughts are, I do have a lot of wiring in that general area where the moto control box is mounted. For example my stereo amp wire, and my main battery cables are bunched up close to each other in that area but I don't see how it could cause interference given they are all fairly high quality and have sufficient insulators. Just a thought anyways, not sure if that'd be a cause. Um, my battery is fairly new. Optima yellow top. I have big 3 upgrade.. Idk just listing things that come to mind that may help describe my setup.
Maybe Andrew can chime in on this. Any help would be appreciated in diagnosing this.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:18 AM   #5
braik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud of
braik's Tacoma Gallery
Both not igniting at the same time? That seems like either the harness controller/truck battery going bad, or a grounding problem. Have you checked to see if your ground cables have corroded or anything?

Can't really diagnose any more without isolating components and trying them out separately.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:49 AM   #6
Yeah both not igniting. Hmm didn't think about it like that. Guess those probly wouldn't both go bad at the same time. So I suppose it must be the controller or perhaps bad ground. And no it's not the battery. Or the cables themselves like corrosion. Everything is nice and clean and all new except the hid kit, but I don't see anything, and everything on it is waterproof... Maybe I'll pull the grounds and double check all the hid kit connections. Just a pain.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:04 PM   #7
theblindchicken is on a distinguished road

Name: Christian
theblindchicken's Tacoma Gallery
Are you running a relay kit for the HID's? If so, then either they may not be getting enough voltage (corrosion, faulty connection) or they could be sticking/worn out.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:38 PM   #8
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Mine started doing this about 3 months ago. Turned out my relay kits cover to keep dust and crap out of it came off and well, dust and crap got into it. I took it out, cleaned it really good with rubbing alcohol and its working great now.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:38 PM   #9
Hmm alright well I guess I'll go pull the relay box out and clean it up. Last I looked it seemed pretty clean though. And I'll check the ground. I'll let you guys know soon. Gonna go do that in a little bit here. Thanks.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:10 AM   #10
Well I took out the box. And it's still clean. No dust or gunk or anything. Really surprised actually from all the dust storms and rain and floods out here lately. But yeah, no change. Think I made it worse actually. After I plugged it back in it started working flawlessly. But then when I bolted it back down to the fender and tried it again, it wouldn't turn on at all. I pressed the connector in while it was bolted down too just to make sure it hadn't come loose. FINALLY got them to ignite after about 30-40 times. I even took the ground off and scraped really good around the fender so it had an even better contact and no change. Still comes and goes and isn't a pattern. Sometimes it works second try, sometimes takes a bunch of times till it ignites. My only other thought is I have about four other things grounded on that same spot. Could there be some kind of interference from something else that is grounded? Shouldn't be an issue right? Idk what else to do besides tear the entire thing out and re do everything.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:13 AM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
Mine started doing this about 3 months ago. Turned out my relay kits cover to keep dust and crap out of it came off and well, dust and crap got into it. I took it out, cleaned it really good with rubbing alcohol and its working great now.
Actually I just re-read your post and was wondering, were you just referring to the little rubber boot that covers the connector? Or the actual box itself you took apart and cleaned inside it? Because I saw a few tiny screws on there but didn't want to chance messing anything up inside that thing...