Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Wiring up secondary driving lights, high beams and independent switch

Old 09-16-2014, 05:41 PM   #1
20vmki is on a distinguished road

20vmki's Tacoma Gallery
Wiring up secondary driving lights, high beams and independent switch

I installed some Rigid D2 driving lights on my bull bar. They are currently wired up to a switch installed by the PO that allows the lights to be turned on with accessory power.

I would like to wire the lights up as follows:

1) Lights turn on when the brights are on (either flash or high beams)
2) Lights turn on when an auxiliary switch is turned on (located on the dash)

Pardon my bad circuit drawing skills but this is what I came up with:

The high beam switch in my diagram above would be tapped from the R-Y wire coming from the combination switch.

In reviewing what I drew I think I have an issue where the driving lights would come on if the dimmer switch was set to high even if the light control switch was off. (If I accidentally push the stalk forward, even with the lights off, the aux lights would come on).

Is there an easier way to do this that doesn't take two relays?

Any other thoughts or suggestions?
Old 09-17-2014, 01:34 PM   #2
tacoman2000 is on a distinguished road
tacoman2000's Tacoma Gallery
Get a 5 pin automotive relay from advance auto or other suitable store and wire:

1. 30 pin to 12 volt source (direct to battery or other fuseable source if you only want operation while key is turned.)

2. 85 pin to suitable ground

3. 86 pin tapped into high beam circuit (tapped from high beam fuse under hood would probably be easiest.)

4. 87 pin to driving lights (run one wire from the pin directly to positive on one light then just tap the other light one over to it. Ground lights to suitable ground i.e. frame, body panel bolt.)

5. 87a pin to "load" pin on switch in cab (then ground and power your switch)

I have Rigid D2's as reverse lights and have where they come on with truck in reverse and on a switch in the cab. I wired mine like this and it works great. Should be the same concept except you're just wanting to tap the high beams instead of reverse like I did.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:47 PM   #3

20vmki's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks very much for your input tacoman2000. I took what you said and redesigned (it might not be exactly like you said, but close)

Old 09-19-2014, 08:43 AM   #4

20vmki's Tacoma Gallery
Up to rev 3 of my schematic. The previous rev wouldn't work because the +12v for the low beams and high beams is the same source, only an extra ground is added to turn the high beams on.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:45 AM   #5
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
I think it's just easier to flip a switch for LEDs to come on instead of tying a circuit to your OEM lighting circuit. If you bought the right duallies, you wouldn't be able to tell your high beams are on.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:57 AM   #6

20vmki's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
I think it's just easier to flip a switch for LEDs to come on instead of tying a circuit to your OEM lighting circuit. If you bought the right duallies, you wouldn't be able to tell your high beams are on.
I agree, it would be a lot easier I just like the idea of having them function with the high beam switch while also having the ability to turn them on independently.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:59 PM   #7
Biznitch15 is on a distinguished road

Navy: PO2
Name: José
Biznitch15's Tacoma Gallery
Can Anyone help. I have the Rigid D2 I originally installed with the provided relay and switch. No problems there. Straight forward really.

Now I bought an AOB(air on Board) switch for the D2 lights to have a more stock looking Dash Switch.

Here's where the problem lies. I don't understand Wiring diagrams and I can't figure out the new install. Help please?