1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lighted Console-Cheap DIY Write-Up

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Scooter, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Sep 27, 2014 at 10:41 PM
    Scooter

Scooter [OP] Canadian Member

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab TRD Sport Short Box
    Pop n Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Bak Flip Tonneau Cover, Factory DLR installed, Defrost with A/C Off, EZ Down Tailgate Damper, Code Alarm Security System with Remote Starter, Rear Spring TSB, Ming rust proofing & paint treatment, 3M fabric protector, Cargo Mat, Scanguage II, DYI Illuminated 4X4 Switch, Versa-Gate box extender & cargo divider, Toyota Roof Rails, Grom USB Audio adapter with bluetooth, LED Bed lights, OEM Backup Camera with LCD Display Mirror
    I'm sure this was done before, but I'm not sure if there is a write up on it, so here goes.

Things you'll need are:
    1. LED light Strip (Mine is left over from a kitchen cabinet project)
    2. A mercury switch (Mine is out of an old thermostat)
    3. Some mounting tape and wire.
    Step 1:
    Open the console and remove the 5 Philips screws around the edge of the black plastic lid liner. The liner will pop right out.

Step 2:
    Remove the lid by removing the 4 screws that hold the lid to the spring-loaded hinge. The screws are circled in red in the picture below. (I took this picture after I had mounted the mercury switch)

Console Lid With Screws Circled.jpg

Step 3:
    Mount the mercury switch. I used some super strong Scotch 3M Mounting tape.

IMG_20140927_173223.jpg

I mounted the mercury switch on an angle so the contacts are tilted upwards a bit when the lid is closed. That ensures the lights are off when the lid is closed, especially when going down bumpy roads. The picture below shows how the switch is mounted.

IMG_20140927_172955.jpg

Set the lid aside for later.

Step 4:
    Remove the spring-loaded hinge. I don't have a good picture of this, but the picture below shows arrows where the hinge needs to be removed. Pop off the plastic covers using a small screwdriver to reveal 2 Philips screws on each side. Remove the screws and the hinge will come off.

Hinge with Arrows.jpg

Step 5:
    After removing the hinge, drill a small hole in the console under the lip on the hinge side. See picture below.

Hole Under Lip with Arrow.jpg

Drill another hole where the side of the hinge nearest the front of the truck is attached. This is shown in the picture below.

Hole By Hinge With Arrow.jpg

Step 6:
    Prepare the LED by attaching wires to it. Mine came with a clip-on pigtail. Slip the LED strip into the clip.

IMG_20140927_181640.jpg

Snap the clip closed.

IMG_20140927_181711.jpg

The LED strip come with an adhesive back. Thread the pigtail through the hole under the lip on the hinge side of the console and stick the LED strip under the lip.

IMG_20140927_183644.jpg

Here's another view.
    IMG_20140927_183711.jpg

Thread the positive wire from the LEDs from under the console back up through the hole you drilled by the hinge. This is easier if you remove the shift selector cover so you can get your hand under the console. To remove the shift selector cover, that's the one with the centre cup holder, remover the shift knob by unscrewing it. Then grasp the cover and pull. It should pop right off.

IMG_20140927_183737.jpg

Step 7:
    Thread one of the wires from the mercury switch down through the hole by the hinge to the bottom of the console. This is the blue wire in the picture.

IMG_20140927_184151.jpg

Step 8:
    Reattach the hinge to the console, making sure the hinge does not interfere with the wires.

IMG_20140927_184519.jpg

The wires can be secured to the channel behind the hinge with electrical tape.

Step 9:
    Reattach the lid to the hinge. Then, connect the positive wire from the LEDs to the free wire of the mercury switch. (The free wire is the one that is not threaded through the hole by the hinge. I soldered the positive LED wire to the free wire from the switch.) Route the wires from the hinge to the lid as shown in the picture below. This ensures that the wires twist instead of bend when the lid is opened and closed.

IMG_20140927_190645.jpg

Step 10:
    Reattach the black plastic lid liner to the lid, making sure no wires are pinched.

Step 11:
    There should be two wires leading from the console. One is the LED negative, and the other is from the mercury switch. Ground the LED negative wire. I simply attached it to one of the bolts near the shift selector. Connect the wire from the mercury switch to a constant 12V positive. I used one I had found for my bed light install. Here's the link to that write-up. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/168235-led-bed-lights-dash-control-switch.html

Step 12:
    Reinstall the shift selector cover and shift knob, and your done! Here's what mine looks like.

IMG_20140927_205940.jpg

IMG_20140927_184438.jpg

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  2. Oct 5, 2014 at 6:58 AM
    BeBeep

BeBeep Still Plays With Cars, Trucks, Bikes & Guns

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    NRH, TX
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB TRD Sport PreRunner
    TRD Exhaust, Gentex Mirror w/ Homelink, Autodim, Temp & Compass, Pop & Lock Tailgate Lock, Toyota Bedmat, Underhood LED Lighting Toytec Ultimate 3" lift w/3 Leaf Progressive Rear Springs (overload spring removed), Hypertech Speedo Calibrator
    Great write-up, thank you. I need to do this for the console and the glovebox.

3. Oct 12, 2014 at 10:17 PM
    Scooter

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Pop n Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Bak Flip Tonneau Cover, Factory DLR installed, Defrost with A/C Off, EZ Down Tailgate Damper, Code Alarm Security System with Remote Starter, Rear Spring TSB, Ming rust proofing & paint treatment, 3M fabric protector, Cargo Mat, Scanguage II, DYI Illuminated 4X4 Switch, Versa-Gate box extender & cargo divider, Toyota Roof Rails, Grom USB Audio adapter with bluetooth, LED Bed lights, OEM Backup Camera with LCD Display Mirror
    Thanks. I'm thinking of doing the glove box too, but I will use a momentary button instead of the mercury switch. Then there will be no wires going to the tilting glove box, and no issue when removing the glove box to change the cabin air filter.

4. Jun 17, 2015 at 11:47 AM
    Scooter

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Pacific_roots likes this.
  5. Jul 20, 2015 at 3:33 AM
    09 Redneck

09 Redneck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ga
  6. Nov 3, 2015 at 4:40 AM
    HBGIBBY

HBGIBBY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Huntington Beach CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB 4x4
    No Mods Yet
  7. Dec 2, 2015 at 3:01 PM
    Scooter

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    I you're referring to lighting the console, the switch is a mercury switch shown on the first few pictures in this thread. I took if off an old thermostat, but you can get them on ebay for cheap. Make sure you mount it on an angle so that the leads are pointed up a bit when the console lid is closed. Otherwise, your lights will turn on or flash with every little bump you hit.

If your referring to lighting your glove box, you can follow this link to the DYI thread I posted.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/diy-lighted-glovebox.375126/

The switch is a pushbutton I got from ebay. It's all explained in the thread.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  8. Sep 8, 2019 at 7:25 PM
    ricknobinson

ricknobinson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off Road Tacoma Access Cab
    Where’d you get the little net for the console? Mine doesn’t have one

9. Sep 9, 2019 at 4:22 AM
    303tacoma

303tacoma Bad Karma is a Bitch

Member:
    First Name:
    Rebecca
    Sw Denver Concrete Jungle
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD AC 4th gen Rav4 Platinum
    ICONS Front & extended Rears DAKARS LR UCAS Wheelers Super Bumps F/R Homersoshi & Bumper insert, Ultra Gauge, Wet Okole seat covers, AFE air filter, Truxedo tonneau cover, LED White Cluster swap by yosh2000, Audio upgrade, ECGS Bushing, rcbs204 Lighted 4x4switch, Bullaculla trailer harness relocate bracket SOS Concepts IFS skid & sliders Anti- Dark RedLine Hood Struts Matt Gecko Bed Lights BHLM Depo Tailights Fog light anytime mod ABS cancel mod Rear diff breather mod Brake light 35watt mod Relentless u bolt flip Mobtown Recovery Bar Sound deadener doors rear wall
  10. Sep 9, 2019 at 7:32 AM
    ricknobinson

ricknobinson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off Road Tacoma Access Cab
    303tacoma[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Sep 9, 2019 at 8:23 AM
    303tacoma

303tacoma Bad Karma is a Bitch

Member:
    First Name:
    Rebecca
    Sw Denver Concrete Jungle
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD AC 4th gen Rav4 Platinum
    ICONS Front & extended Rears DAKARS LR UCAS Wheelers Super Bumps F/R Homersoshi & Bumper insert, Ultra Gauge, Wet Okole seat covers, AFE air filter, Truxedo tonneau cover, LED White Cluster swap by yosh2000, Audio upgrade, ECGS Bushing, rcbs204 Lighted 4x4switch, Bullaculla trailer harness relocate bracket SOS Concepts IFS skid & sliders Anti- Dark RedLine Hood Struts Matt Gecko Bed Lights BHLM Depo Tailights Fog light anytime mod ABS cancel mod Rear diff breather mod Brake light 35watt mod Relentless u bolt flip Mobtown Recovery Bar Sound deadener doors rear wall
    I have it
    Pm me your address and I’ll stick it in an envelope and mail it to you..

Norton likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top