1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Non OEM Replacement Headlights

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Norv., Oct 13, 2014.

1. Oct 13, 2014 at 3:02 PM
    Norv.

Norv. [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5 4x4
    So before I get burned at the stake here, please know there is a lot of my life I won't get back regarding this subject. I've researched this like crazy and don't feel much closer to an answer. Because of that I wanted to create this thread to compile the info I've found. I did reference this thread quite a bit and offers the most complete info: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/341233-replacement-headlights.html

To start, I drive a 2005 Tacoma SR5 as seen below. I want to keep the styling simple. Also, please refrain from saying, "Bro, bro... Go BHLM or Retro and never look back..." I unfortunately I do not have this option as I hit an elk and destroyed the DS headlight. I have no interest in retro's either, mainly because I lack the desire to want to do that myself. The whole look of my truck is utility and Nato looking... Just let me have the Nato thing.
    [​IMG]IMG_2143 by pnorvell, on Flickr

[​IMG]#coneyflats #middlestvrains by pnorvell, on Flickr

These are the OEM Headlight prices and part numbers for the black chrome (aka smoked) lenses I'm trying to duplicate with the Anzo's or another repro type. These were originally made for the Sport Models of 2011 model line up.
    81110-04173 $227.65 RH headlight
    81150-04173 $227.65 LH headlight
    (picture just for reference. I did not use Royal South for pricing)
    [​IMG]

This would be ideal but man alive, that PRICE! That for each one... Gives me buyers remorse just thinking about it... I can't justify spending more then double the price for retros, and I assume most others feel the same way. I simply wanted to finally offer up pricing on these as I couldn't find it anywhere. Shipping was around $40 fyi.

Now on to the non OEMs. I used Autoparts Warehouse to search simply to have a single source of info. Are there better places, sure (tell me where...) but for now we'll use this. Take the pricing with a grain of salt.

#1 - Anzo.
    [​IMG]

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/s...light/2005/Base/6_Cyl_4-dot-0L/A1R121191.html

Obviously everyone knows the Anzos and they are somewhat tested. Most people that praise these come from only a few months of use. Not really a good standing point if you ask me. The major drawback for these from what I've read is that you have to add an additional sealant to them to make them water-proof. I've read that the best sealant to use is GE silicone II for sealing the Headlights. No first hand experience here. Some might immediately say, "That's not really a drawback broheim... It's just sealant. Anyone can apply sealant." I would agree with that, if I hadn't just spent $200 dollars on them. I also don't know if this voids any warranty. Can anyone chime in with first hand experience on these? How long have you had them, Do you have moisture, Did you have to use extra sealant, Are they as bright as OEMs, etc.

#2 AutoTrust Gold
    [​IMG]

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/s...html?loc=Driver+And+Passenger+Side+(Set+Of+2)

There is literally no info on these anywhere. BUT, they offer a 5-year warranty... Please someone tell me they have these or know something about them.

#3 Replacement CAPA Certified
    [​IMG]

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/s...html?loc=Driver+And+Passenger+Side+(Set+Of+2)

There also isn't much info on the Replacement headlights either. The thing that intrigued me about these is that they provided the OEM part number in the description, which means they did a little bit of research. Thoughts? Experience?

Any info anyone can provide is much appreciated! Let me know! You can tell I did a lot of research because there is a lot of useless info here. Set me straight! I plan to follow up with what I purchase and attempt to provide long term results.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Oct 13, 2014 at 3:19 PM
    DJB1

DJB1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2003 Regular Cab 4X4 5MT
    I don't have any useful information to contribute on aftermarket headlight assemblies, but your truck looks great just the way it is. Are those tires 235's or 255's?

3. Oct 13, 2014 at 3:29 PM
    DeltaSteve

DeltaSteve Social Critic

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    FW,TX near TCU
    Vehicle:
    '09 White TRD access
    KING 2.0" PERFORMANCE SERIES REMOTE RESERVOIR COILOVER SHOCK W COILOVERS, TC UCA, OME DAKAR SPRINGS, RELENTLESS PLATE R BUMPER and MORE :)
    Lots of folks say Depo headlights are the way to go, cheap about $129 a set, high quality. One thing, get you some clear silicone and seal the seam. (push it in with a finger and spit). Mine are great....Others will chime in, but the price will vary $20+/-

4. Oct 13, 2014 at 5:57 PM
    Norv.

Norv. [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5 4x4
    Ha at least your honest. They're 255's Coopers. I'm about to get their new STs by the end of the month.

5. Oct 13, 2014 at 6:56 PM
    Norv.

Norv. [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5 4x4
    Thanks Steve! Ill loo into them more soon.

6. Oct 13, 2014 at 7:47 PM
    Norv.

Norv. [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5 4x4
    Well, I guess all I needed was a little push. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on what I hope is a set of headlights. Seems to be a glitch in the system that they would sell a pair of Depos for $130 when an individual one from the same company costs $123 but we'll see! Multiple people had asked if it was a pair and everyone confirmed that it was... Seems odd but my fingers are crossed!

[​IMG]
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005XRPNYI/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1413254640&sr=1&keywords=toyota+tacoma+headlight+depo

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  7. Oct 13, 2014 at 8:00 PM
    afcivmedic

afcivmedic Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Tehachapi, Ca
    Vehicle:
    '05 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    ICON CO W RESI, ICON RES 2.0 Rear ICON UCA Snug Top Rebel Borla Cat Back DAKAR Leafs Timbren Bumpstops Distinct Offroad Sliders Black HL LED Tailights ARB Bumper with Warn Winch CBI Rear Bumper Tech Deck MaxTrax Lights by @caliraisedled
    Hey Norv-I bought the same set over a year ago. I sealed them with black silicone around edges and put them in. They look great and have not had one hiccup with them. They are a little fun to do alignment on but after that your golden. I replaced the bulbs with silverstar and I get flashed all the time as if my lights were on bright. Good luck. Love the NATO look.

8. Oct 13, 2014 at 8:14 PM
    Twinkie0311

Twinkie0311 Mall crawling like a boss

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB TRD Sport MGM
    OME Lift w/ Dakars, TRD catback exhaust, 275/70/17 with SCS Stealth 6. and much more.
    X2 as long as you seal them they should be fine as far as the whole aftermarket lights leak thing goes.

Seal them good don't skimp. I have an on going fog issue with my after market housings that i used for Retro's So just seal them up nice and tight

9. Oct 14, 2014 at 7:44 AM
    DeltaSteve

DeltaSteve Social Critic

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    FW,TX near TCU
    Vehicle:
    '09 White TRD access
    KING 2.0" PERFORMANCE SERIES REMOTE RESERVOIR COILOVER SHOCK W COILOVERS, TC UCA, OME DAKAR SPRINGS, RELENTLESS PLATE R BUMPER and MORE :)
  10. Oct 14, 2014 at 7:49 AM
    travel_taco

travel_taco Gentlemans Sausage

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    09 Rust Bucket
    anti-fuel saving mods
    Yep those are a set. Bought a pair of depo's a few months ago for same price. As others have said in addition to their glue I sealed them with silicone and haven't had any issues.

11. Oct 14, 2014 at 8:03 AM
    Stuligan

Stuligan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD OR 4L V6 6spd
    Billy 5100 level lift (0.85" front) White/Amber DRL/Signal Kit GTA Car kit for AUX/IPod Satoshi Grill 2x 20" LED Light bars behind grill HID headlights LED Taillgihts LED interior lights.
    I went for the Spyder HID option, didn't NEED to replace the headlights, but they look great and HID's are simply just the way to go for light output for temps of 4300-6000k. They also look amazing, one of the top things people comment on, besides the colour. No issues with sealing, and perfect fit with the OEM's.

Sorry for the crappy phone quality pic

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s8tqxw1tslpt8bt/IMG_20140606_204324.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ip7vzzqmgnezhqw/IMG_20140606_204335.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0640bta4umtyh1w/IMG_20140606_204356.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/lightbox/home/Camera%20Uploads

12. Oct 14, 2014 at 11:12 AM
    Norv.

Norv. [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5 4x4
    Thanks for the confirmation! I feel like with my luck I'll open the box and it will be just one... But this is reassuring! I'll swing on over to home depot for some sealant sometime this week. I'll be without the truck all next week so I gotta get my errands in!

Thanks for the info! I'll definitely plan to seal them up good.

To the note of Sealant, what did you all use? And can I simply pick it up at home depot/Ace/Lowes. I should get the headlights before the truck is even finished at the body shop so I plan to do all of this next week. I've read horror stories of the sealant actually causing moisture as it's not made for plastic use. I noted above that most individuals recommend GE Silicone II but I don't know where I can pick that up.

Thanks for a advice everyone!

13. Oct 14, 2014 at 11:14 AM
    Norv.

Norv. [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5 4x4
    Thanks Steve! I had seen this but couldn't remember where I dug it up!

I'm on my work computer, but those links didn't work. I'm sure the HIDs are awesome they just are normally pretty pricey!

14. Oct 14, 2014 at 2:31 PM
    DeltaSteve

DeltaSteve Social Critic

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    FW,TX near TCU
    Vehicle:
    '09 White TRD access
    Clear Silicone at Homie or Lowes, also before you put it on clean the seam with a little alcohol apply the silicone and push it in the seam using your finger with a little spit. BTW....Not too tasty.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  15. Oct 15, 2014 at 9:44 AM
    Norv.

Norv. [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5 4x4
    Copy that! That sounds wrong but I like it :D As to where to apply is it just the outer perimeter of the light housing or are there areas on the back of the light that also need sealant? I only want to do it once! haha

16. Oct 16, 2014 at 12:02 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    Did the elk survive?

And keep us posted. My headlight is hazy. The sanding job isn't going to last. Keep tabs on what you are dealing, for me.

17. Oct 16, 2014 at 12:14 PM
    PB65stang

PB65stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat 4x4
    5100s (2.5" front), OEM Raptor wheels, 315/70/17 BFGs, Undercover, tint, Weathertechs.
    Yeah, also curious how they work out for you. I just replaced my driver's side, which was the OEM smoked style, with an OEM assembly last night. I didn't want to risk it with an aftermarket, as seeing my passenger had already just been replaced due to a wreck and I wanted to ensure they match. It is so much nicer to have non-hazy, non-cracked headlights. Took me about 30 minutes to do...the 4th bolt that everyone talks about was actually much easier than I anticipated. No removal of the bumper necessary.

18. Oct 16, 2014 at 12:39 PM
    travel_taco

travel_taco Gentlemans Sausage

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    09 Rust Bucket
    anti-fuel saving mods
    Yea a small tube of GE Silicone II was only 4 bucks or so at Lowes. I applied it to pretty much wherever I saw the grey glue holding the lense and assembly together around the perimeter. It'll make since once you have the headlights in your hands. I read in another thread to use a plastic bag(walmart bag) around your finger to apply the silicone to, so my fingers didnt get sticky :cool:

19. Oct 21, 2014 at 2:51 PM
    Norv.

Norv. [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5 4x4
    He walked off but I can't imagine he lived much longer. I hit him in the back left leg at 35mph. I'm told though that in the state of Colorado if you call the police quick enough they will put them down and donate the meat. Pretty awesome if you ask me.

20. Oct 21, 2014 at 3:35 PM
    Norv.

Norv. [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5 4x4
    Sorry for the delayed update. Things have been busy! I did want to let everyone know that I received the headlights in 2 days with the standard shipping. Ordered them Monday and they arrived Wednesday afternoon. Crazy!

The box is not something to be missed and the lights are packaged quite well.
    [​IMG]IMG_5172 by pnorvell, on Flickr

The lights are very nice (covered in plastic wrap in photos)! The upper tabs are a bit flimsier than OEM, but I couldn't find many other differences without having them sitting next to one another.

I wanted to post up the Depo model numbers in case anyone was interested. I also want to mention that the stock photo on Amazon (and pretty much everywhere else) is a little misleading. The housing is flat black, not a smoked chrome. Also, the running light lens is clear, not the yellow/orange as the photo depicts. I'm not aware that any of the aftermarket lights are available "smoked". Please correct me if I'm wrong and I'll promptly be frustrated... :D
    [​IMG]IMG_5177 by pnorvell, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_5183 by pnorvell, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_5174 by pnorvell, on Flickr

Ok, so when you read EVERYWHERE that you have to seal these lights, you HAVE to seal these lights. Now I know I said above that the lights are nice, but god damn. I guess that's why I paid $130 for both when OEMs are $227ea. It even came with a pamphlet discussing condensation in the lights. They are fully aware of the issue and don't give a shit! Hahaha.

Look at that gap!!
    [​IMG]IMG_5175 by pnorvell, on Flickr

Again, GAP!
    [​IMG]IMG_5176 by pnorvell, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_5186 by pnorvell, on Flickr

I digress... Ok sealing the lights was incredibly simple to do so please everyone realize that. Anyone could do this! You just need a caulking gun, GE Silicone II, and your finger. Depending on how OCD you want to be you can add both Q-tips and Bobby Pins. The corners of the lights were pretty tough to get into but I wanted to make sure I had equal penetration (hey gurl...) around the perimeter of the light. That's where the bobby pins/Q-tips came into play. By the time you get to the second light you're practically a pro. It took about a third the time.

[​IMG]IMG_5173 by pnorvell, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_5178 by pnorvell, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_5184 by pnorvell, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_5179 by pnorvell, on Flickr

Now if there are any other places I'm supposed to apply the sealant please, please let me know!!! The truck is currently at the body shop all week so I won't have install pics until the weekend. Let me know if you have any questions! I cannot wait to get these installed!

To Top