Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

How-To: LED Headlight conversion kit

Old 10-14-2014, 09:57 AM   #1
C1ph3r is a glorious beacon of lightC1ph3r is a glorious beacon of lightC1ph3r is a glorious beacon of lightC1ph3r is a glorious beacon of lightC1ph3r is a glorious beacon of lightC1ph3r is a glorious beacon of light

Name: A.W.
C1ph3r's Tacoma Gallery
How-To: LED Headlight conversion kit

Hey guys. I just recently started selling LED lighting and wanted to create a quick how-to for installing them. reference this thread. This is only in reference to the ones I sale so i cannot make any comparison to others on the market.

H4 LED headlight bulb installation
***CAUTION*** Be very careful when working with this style bulb and retaining system. I have seen the housing break where the retaining clip attaches. Do not force anything. Try to avoid putting any excessive pressure on the retaining clip. I take no responsibility for any damages caused to you or your vehicle. If you feel you may not be able to perform this task, stop and seek assistance. ***CAUTION***

The H4 style bulb is unique with the manor it is retained in the headlight housing. There is a small retaining clip that applies pressure to the back of a metal retaining plate that is attached to the bulb. There is also a rubber seal that fits very tightly around the base of the bulb allowing a tight seal and only allowing the connector to protrude.

The aftermarket LED headlight bulb has a unique feature that aids in installation. The metal retaining plate is removable. Allowing just the plate to be secured into place first into the headlight housing.

To remove the ring from the led bulb, with a rag or gloved hand, grasp the metal retaining ring with one hand (the metal can be sharp. please use caution) and with your other hand, grasp the heat sink and gently rotate the bulb counter clockwise. you will feel and hear the bulb unlock from the ring.

Now install the retaining ring back into the headlight in the same manor the original bulb was installed. The plate is keyed in the same manor a stock bulb would be and should only go in one way.

Next you will want to work the rubber seal around the base of the retaining ring in the headlight. it will need to be worked far enough down so that the bulb will be able to lock back into the ring.

Slide the bulb into the ring and lock it into place.

Connect all the wiring, secure the LED driver and clean up.
All done.

Comparison of stock and LED. Driver side, or the right side in the image is stock halogen.

Both sides finished.

I do not have a very good place to get night time photos. So this is the best i can do for now.

low beam against wall

high beam against wall

low beam against hill

high beam against hill

Down the road

Old 10-14-2014, 10:08 AM   #2
Taco Noob
CH0CO T4CO is on a distinguished road

CH0CO T4CO's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice write up but what would be the difference between doing led's instead of some hid's?
Old 10-14-2014, 10:12 AM   #3
Taco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Taco Dan's Tacoma Gallery
great write up. Your kit looks good, great that its plug and play. ill be lurking until i save up enough money to buy your kit.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:18 AM   #4
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH0CO T4CO View Post
Very nice write up but what would be the difference between doing led's instead of some hid's?
LED's don't need warm up time that HID's need.
On the LED's there is no ballast to go out, and the projectors don't need to be retrofitted to have a crisp cut-off.

If you have HID's you may experience flickering, bulb warm-up, and if you don't have a retrofit you won't have a clean cut beam, with LED's you just plug and play.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:43 AM   #5
C1ph3r is a glorious beacon of lightC1ph3r is a glorious beacon of lightC1ph3r is a glorious beacon of lightC1ph3r is a glorious beacon of lightC1ph3r is a glorious beacon of lightC1ph3r is a glorious beacon of light

C1ph3r's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the kind words everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
On the LED's there is no ballast to go out, and the projectors don't need to be retrofitted to have a crisp cut-off.

If you have HID's you may experience flickering, bulb warm-up, and if you don't have a retrofit you won't have a clean cut beam, with LED's you just plug and play.
All very good points and thank you for answering that. There is no ballast with LEDs but there is an LED driver. This is basically the component used to reduce the voltage down to a usable range for the LED.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:04 AM   #6
Taco Noob
CH0CO T4CO is on a distinguished road

CH0CO T4CO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post

Ah i see, thanks for the useful info as i'm looking to upgrade my bulbs so now i'm thinking LED is the way to go
Old 10-14-2014, 11:09 AM   #7
Dr. Frankenstien
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by C1ph3r View Post
Thanks for all the kind words everyone.

All very good points and thank you for answering that. There is no ballast with LEDs but there is an LED driver. This is basically the component used to reduce the voltage down to a usable range for the LED.

Actually just to clarify, a driver is used to help stabilize voltage to a preset optimum voltage. Especially in our trucks the voltage can fluctuate a lot, LEDs don't like that. So a Drive just tries to keep the same voltage and same current to the LED..
Old 10-18-2014, 09:39 AM   #8
CAD41985 is a splendid one to beholdCAD41985 is a splendid one to beholdCAD41985 is a splendid one to beholdCAD41985 is a splendid one to beholdCAD41985 is a splendid one to beholdCAD41985 is a splendid one to beholdCAD41985 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Corey
CAD41985's Tacoma Gallery
Interested, any output shots?
Old 10-18-2014, 03:08 PM   #9

C1ph3r's Tacoma Gallery
I don't. I'm out of town at the moment but I'll try and get some when I get back home.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:10 PM   #10
I'm an amateur professional.
MatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
MatthewMay1's Tacoma Gallery
sub
Old 10-18-2014, 03:21 PM   #11
GZeus24 is on a distinguished road
GZeus24's Tacoma Gallery
I wonder what these would look like through a projector.....

Also, the website doesn't seem to say but are these dual beam; hi/low?
Old 10-18-2014, 07:22 PM   #12

C1ph3r's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah these are duel beam. All H4 bulbs are H/L. Not sure how they would fair in a projector. May not work so well since the reflector isn't the same. But again, not sure.

Here is my buddies F250. Not my tacoma but should give u an idea. This is just the low beams. He didn't get me a high beam shot

Old 10-19-2014, 06:41 AM   #13
CAD41985 is a splendid one to beholdCAD41985 is a splendid one to beholdCAD41985 is a splendid one to beholdCAD41985 is a splendid one to beholdCAD41985 is a splendid one to beholdCAD41985 is a splendid one to beholdCAD41985 is a splendid one to behold
Pretty solid. If you could when you get back, get me a shot of hi/lo from your taco and show how crisp the cutoff line is. I'm switching from a retrofit hid to these because of bull$&@! state inspections here in Virginia
Old 10-19-2014, 06:48 AM   #14
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Kolunatic's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:46 AM   #15

C1ph3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAD41985 View Post
Pretty solid. If you could when you get back, get me a shot of hi/lo from your taco and show how crisp the cutoff line is. I'm switching from a retrofit hid to these because of bull$&@! state inspections here in Virginia
Sure thing. I will tell you going from a retro fit to these you probably won't be happy. But then again if you don't have a choice.

I also noticed that the cut off isn't as flat as a normal bulb. But I'll try to capture that in an image for ya
Old 10-19-2014, 07:43 PM   #16

C1ph3r's Tacoma Gallery
ok. OP updated with more pictures. the same pictures can be found in my sale thread HERE
Old 10-20-2014, 04:37 PM   #17
Thanks. They look pretty good, not the current crisp cutoff line I have from my retros but much brighter than stock
Old 10-21-2014, 12:54 PM   #18

C1ph3r's Tacoma Gallery
i would agree. I myself dont have retro fits obviously, but i dont think you will ever get that kind of cut off with a standard non-projector head light.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:47 PM   #19
Just Lurking in the Darkness
o0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shadow
o0oSHADOWo0o's Tacoma Gallery
Although I purchased mine somewhere else many months ago, I have these same bulbs in my 2012. I absolutely love them.

Here is a picture with a side by side comparison of these and the stock halogen bulbs shining on a wall that is 240 feet away. I have the LED bulb on the driver's side and the stock halogen on the passenger side.

The low beam cut-off is not as well defined as the halogens, but look at the ground to the left and the right. The LED on the LEFT lights up way more than the halogen on the RIGHT, and brighter too !!!

Now look at the left and right side of the wall. the halogen dies off quickly to the right but the LED bulb continues to light up the wall further to the left.

These are far better than the stock bulbs, in my opinion.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:58 PM   #20

C1ph3r's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0oSHADOWo0o View Post
Although I purchase mine somewhere else many months ago, I have these same bulbs in my 2012. I absolutely love them.

Here is a picture with a side by side comparison of these and the stock halogen bulbs shining on a wall that is 240 feet away. I have the LED bulb on the driver's side and the stock halogen on the passenger side.

The low beam cut-off is not as well defined as the halogens, but look at the ground to the left and the right. The LED on the right lights up way more than the halogen on the left, and brighter too !!!

Now look at the left and right side of the wall. the halogen dies off quickly to the right but the LED bulb continues to light up the wall further to the left.

These are far better than the stock bulbs, in my opinion.

thank you for that review and photo. i didnt think to get a shot like that for mine. So few places around me for night time photos i just didnt think to bother.

Thanks again.