Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

LED Lightbar Backlighting DIY

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-14-2014, 01:08 PM   #1
Professional bear handler
MTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MTopp's Tacoma Gallery
LED Lightbar Backlighting DIY

Hey all, I'm on instagram (matttopp) and follow multiple truck pages, seeing many different lightbars. The ones that stand out to me most are the cool backlit ones-whether with a single color or RGB ones. All the guys who do this charge for the service and obviously don't want to show how to do it(for their business's sake). I have no business and wasn't about to pay for someone to do it before I tried, so here is my DIY thread on it to help everyone else be a little more badarse.

Supplies:
--Lightbar(Mine is an eBay 30" bar)
--Strip of LEDs(I used "supernight" 5050 RGB LED strips) get them on eBay or amazon
--- http://www.amazon.com/SUPERNIGHT-Wat...ight+led+strip
---bought a better LED RGB RF controller and remote off eBay for the LEDs http://www.ebay.com/itm/141410255794...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT Wireless 2.4G RF Touch Panel Dimmer Remote Control for 5050 3528 LED RGB Strip
--Metric allen keys
--#2 phillips screw driver
--silicone
--OPTIONAL: I bought some universal Lamin-x clear film to protect lightbar lens from UV fading http://www.lamin-x.com

Foreword: First off-I bought a cheap, $80 ebay epistar LED bar because 1) Wasn't sure if I was gonna destroy it or not, 2)I am not a hardcore offroader and got a lightbar mostly for looks and to flip on and off while light offroading 3) It was inexpensive and still is very bright
A cree LED bar from OKLED or rigid is better, but much more money. This backlighting mod should be possible with any LED light bar as long as it has physical screws on the front and sides as I will show in the pictures.
(Sorry for cell phone pics)
Step 1:
Examine your lightbar for the screws.

The little silver things there are small allen key screws(you can see I removed some)

The side allen key screws
2)
Start by removing the side larger allen key screws on one side all the way and on the other side, just take out the top 2 and loosen the other ones.

After then removing all the smaller screws along the face of the lightbar, slowly pull up the sides that were held down by them(you can see the left is pulled up and right side is not).

Once both are pulled up and out, slowly pull the glass/plastic up trying to keep that original seal in-tact. You'll now see the philips head screws in the center of each quad lens for the LEDs.

Start removing those gently and pulling up the quad lenses(LEDs will look different on a cree LED bar).

Then get your LED strip(use 5050 LEDs, they're the brightest I know of in strip form). I usually take the "3m" tape they have on them already and add my own legit 3m doublesided tape to them, as the supplied tape is garbage.

Run it along the inside edge there right where it fits in perfect and loop from one side and down the other

Then cut the strip at the end(I should not have cut where I did-too short) I am going to redo it and have strip go a little longer.

This is as far as I've gotten as the Lamin-x clear film I'm putting on was a mid-mod thought, so waiting on it to arrive at my house. Need to put the lamin-x on, run the RGB wire differently(gonna see if that LED board will move up and run wire under it) after I redo it, run a new silicone bead to seal it up, and reassemble the bar.

Thanks for looking. Open to comments, suggestions, and if you would like, I could probably do this install for you, just PM me and we could work out the details.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:22 PM   #2
Half Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant future
Coast Guard:
Half Caf's Tacoma Gallery
Looks interesting. Do you have any photos of it in action?
Old 10-14-2014, 01:28 PM   #3
MTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MTopp's Tacoma Gallery
Not yet. I will say that any of the ones I have seen done are not very visible during the day. Its really better for dusk and at night
Old 10-14-2014, 01:39 PM   #4

MTopp's Tacoma Gallery
All I have is a very short video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa-k...ature=youtu.be
Old 10-14-2014, 01:47 PM   #5
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Old 10-14-2014, 03:53 PM   #7
"I'd Rather Live, Than Live Forever"
Moose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
Moose1988's Tacoma Gallery
fuck.. yes...

SO doing this with mine! even with just my white LED strip I have in the garage (for my rock lights)

but now Im thinking of swapping my white strips to RGB with a controller.. and do my rock lights and the bar like this!

good job OP. thats awesome!!
Old 10-14-2014, 04:54 PM   #8

MTopp's Tacoma Gallery
Get the rgb ones! Even with the basic 44 key remote that comes with the "super night" LEDs (those are the best brand) they're nicer! I'm gonna have mine hooked to a spdt switch-on with parking lights/off/on whenever. And you want 5050 LEDs, brightest possible in strip LEDs. The super nights are less on eBay too
Old 10-14-2014, 05:01 PM   #9
Moose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTopp View Post
Get the rgb ones! Even with the basic 44 key remote that comes with the "super night" LEDs (those are the best brand) they're nicer! I'm gonna have mine hooked to a spdt switch-on with parking lights/off/on whenever
thinkin about it.. only thing is.. I love my white strips. I bought 64 feet of them... and they are the 5630 LEDs.. bright as hell.

BUT.. this is very tempting.. and making me want to swap em out.. hmmm..
Old 10-14-2014, 07:06 PM   #10

MTopp's Tacoma Gallery
Ohh, nice, 5630 is brighter I think and that is a lot of strip haha
Old 10-14-2014, 07:10 PM   #11
curmudgeon
Pliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: they call me Bruce
Pliny's Tacoma Gallery
Old 10-14-2014, 07:11 PM   #12
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
That is a very cool DIY. Innovative.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:59 PM   #13

MTopp's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, and Moose1988 is correct that 5630 are the bightest strips, but they do not come in the rgb LED model, only single colors. So if you want a single, brighter color, go with a 5630 LED light strip
Old 10-14-2014, 08:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTopp View Post
Thanks, and Moose1988 is correct that 5630 are the bightest strips, but they dont come in the rgb LED model, only single colors. So if you want a single, brighter color, go with a 5630 LED light strip
Yup. That was what I found as well.. and thus explains my dilemma.. lol

Ditch the super bright leds.. and go with the color changing.. or no color changing but have some badass bright rock lights. Lol
Old 10-14-2014, 08:37 PM   #15
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Cool idea and nice write up Matt. Is there a video somewhere of one mounted on a truck to check out?
Old 10-14-2014, 09:03 PM   #16

MTopp's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure, there's one on instagram that I know of, if you have an account there I could tag you on it.

Otherwise, I will complete my DIY and get some more pics for y'all within a week I think
Old 10-14-2014, 10:58 PM   #18
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
x2

Looks good!

Thats funny you posted this... im actually working on something similar. Mine should be much more visible in the day though.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:00 PM   #19
PeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PeeRunner's Tacoma Gallery

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AC6rZm9cAE
Old 10-14-2014, 11:13 PM   #20
tacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luis
tacomonazul's Tacoma Gallery
subd! This is an awesome idea! Can the LED bar be hooked to the remote as well?

Products Discussed in this Thread