Delta00's 2002 Tacoma 4WD

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

How to fix light bar whistle

Old 11-17-2014, 08:37 PM   #1
Barry Landscaping
bryanbyers28 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbryanbyers28 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbryanbyers28 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbryanbyers28 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbryanbyers28 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbryanbyers28 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbryanbyers28 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbryanbyers28 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbryanbyers28 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbryanbyers28 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbryanbyers28 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
bryanbyers28's Tacoma Gallery
How to fix light bar whistle

I have a 50" Radius Bar from OKLEDLIGHTBARS and Relentless Fab mounts. As soon as I drove with the light bar, I notice that God awful whistle sound! So after researching I tried this. I used Edge Trim which can be found in any auto parts store and I put the Edge Trim on the bottom four slits of the heatsink. I eliminated the loud whistle.

Here is a video of some of the information and how to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT-D...csrbMb1u1UkPAw
Old 11-17-2014, 10:38 PM   #3
toendanger has much to be proud oftoendanger has much to be proud oftoendanger has much to be proud oftoendanger has much to be proud oftoendanger has much to be proud oftoendanger has much to be proud oftoendanger has much to be proud oftoendanger has much to be proud oftoendanger has much to be proud of
Name: Harlan
toendanger's Tacoma Gallery
Did the same to mine a while back. I only had to put it on one slit, of my specific bar anyways. What I did first was use electrical tape to cover the bottom of the light bar. A few strips. Then took off one at a time driving a short distance each time until the noise came back. Then once I knew where the noise was coming from, from that one specific slit/fin, I put the trim strip on and done. Another thing to note, is that my trim piece was coming off during the summer here in az. I need to get some kind of sealant in there when I redo it so it doesn't melt off. Ha. But yeah it was so fucking annoying I couldn't take it. Not a peep since then!
Old 11-17-2014, 11:33 PM   #5
toendanger has much to be proud oftoendanger has much to be proud oftoendanger has much to be proud oftoendanger has much to be proud oftoendanger has much to be proud oftoendanger has much to be proud oftoendanger has much to be proud oftoendanger has much to be proud oftoendanger has much to be proud of
Ha this needs to be stickied
Old 11-18-2014, 04:22 AM   #6
Barry Landscaping
bryanbyers28 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbryanbyers28 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbryanbyers28 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbryanbyers28 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbryanbyers28 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbryanbyers28 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbryanbyers28 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbryanbyers28 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbryanbyers28 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbryanbyers28 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbryanbyers28 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glueman View Post
Going to try this NOW!.......Stand by.
Let me know if this works for you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by toendanger View Post
Did the same to mine a while back. I only had to put it on one slit, of my specific bar anyways. What I did first was use electrical tape to cover the bottom of the light bar. A few strips. Then took off one at a time driving a short distance each time until the noise came back. Then once I knew where the noise was coming from, from that one specific slit/fin, I put the trim strip on and done. Another thing to note, is that my trim piece was coming off during the summer here in az. I need to get some kind of sealant in there when I redo it so it doesn't melt off. Ha. But yeah it was so fucking annoying I couldn't take it. Not a peep since then!
Quote:
Ha this needs to be stickied
Glad you got it fixed! Also how do you get a thread stickied?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashcomerTexas View Post
Oh hell yes. I thought I was going crazy
Hahahah nah. Hope this helps you a little.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:57 AM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanbyers28 View Post

Also how do you get a thread stickied?
Ha Idk. Ask the mods maybe? Idk how that works yet. I was kinda kidding Probly won't as this isn't an info bloated thread, but it's such a common problem and an awesome fix that it should be To prevent fellow members from going insane until they find this. lol.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:06 AM   #8
68vert is one of the sharper tools in the shed68vert is one of the sharper tools in the shed68vert is one of the sharper tools in the shed68vert is one of the sharper tools in the shed68vert is one of the sharper tools in the shed68vert is one of the sharper tools in the shed68vert is one of the sharper tools in the shed68vert is one of the sharper tools in the shed68vert is one of the sharper tools in the shed68vert is one of the sharper tools in the shed68vert is one of the sharper tools in the shed

68vert's Tacoma Gallery
thanks OP. Glad someone finally posted a fix. Rigid just release some dense rubber blocks with fingers that slide in he fins of the lightbar to combat this same problem
Old 11-18-2014, 10:14 AM   #9
I'm Back and Naked
Idaholandho is one of the sharper tools in the shedIdaholandho is one of the sharper tools in the shedIdaholandho is one of the sharper tools in the shedIdaholandho is one of the sharper tools in the shedIdaholandho is one of the sharper tools in the shedIdaholandho is one of the sharper tools in the shedIdaholandho is one of the sharper tools in the shedIdaholandho is one of the sharper tools in the shedIdaholandho is one of the sharper tools in the shedIdaholandho is one of the sharper tools in the shedIdaholandho is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Tired
Name: Chris
Idaholandho's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Bryan. Fantastic idea +1.

Note - Before buying the trim, I would suggest covering the 4 or so fins with a strip of duct tape to insure this is where your whistle is coming from. Take it for a quick drive to confirm. Especially those with roof racks as the whistle may be from another location.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:43 AM   #10
Barry Landscaping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaholandho View Post
Thanks Bryan. Fantastic idea +1.

Note - Before buying the trim, I would suggest covering the 4 or so fins with a strip of duct tape to insure this is where your whistle is coming from. Take it for a quick drive to confirm. Especially those with roof racks as the whistle may be from another location.
Thank you! This is a good idea as well!
Old 11-18-2014, 10:47 AM   #11
Barry Landscaping

Quote:
Ha Idk. Ask the mods maybe? Idk how that works yet. I was kinda kidding Probly won't as this isn't an info bloated thread, but it's such a common problem and an awesome fix that it should be To prevent fellow members from going insane until they find this. lol.
HAHA!!! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vert View Post
thanks OP. Glad someone finally posted a fix. Rigid just release some dense rubber blocks with fingers that slide in he fins of the lightbar to combat this same problem
Thanks! Yea I've seen a few light bar companies sell something. This is just an easy way you can do on your own which is probably much cheaper too.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:53 AM   #13
Barry Landscaping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glueman View Post
Just got back from testing it out. Put a door guard on the lowest fin and got it up to 90 mph..... no whistle!
Good to hear ......or should I say not to hear
Old 11-19-2014, 07:55 AM   #14
____livevil____
Moose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
Moose1988's Tacoma Gallery
I did a similar fix with mine..

cut some thin high density foam pieces at work.. and shoved them in between the top 3 fins.. and 3 points of the bar.. worked like a charm on the first try..

Old 11-27-2014, 07:35 PM   #15
kev6216 is on a distinguished road
Name: Kevin
kev6216's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone know if you have to keep your light bar covered with a tinted lens or cover if it's mounted on the roof in PA, while on road?
Old 11-27-2014, 10:06 PM   #16
I'm Back and Naked
Idaholandho is one of the sharper tools in the shedIdaholandho is one of the sharper tools in the shedIdaholandho is one of the sharper tools in the shedIdaholandho is one of the sharper tools in the shedIdaholandho is one of the sharper tools in the shedIdaholandho is one of the sharper tools in the shedIdaholandho is one of the sharper tools in the shedIdaholandho is one of the sharper tools in the shedIdaholandho is one of the sharper tools in the shedIdaholandho is one of the sharper tools in the shedIdaholandho is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vert View Post
Rigid released these back in 2013. Not sure why they are not to be found on their website and/or little to no information anywhere. I just emailed them and will post back results.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:46 PM   #18
I'm Back and Naked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaholandho View Post
Rigid released these back in 2013. Not sure why they are not to be found on their website and/or little to no information anywhere. I just emailed them and will post back results.
Received email back to call Rigid Warranty Dept. and Boom, foam isolators shipped same day.
Excellent service
Old 12-14-2014, 07:30 AM   #19
little squirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittle squirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittle squirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittle squirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittle squirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittle squirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittle squirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittle squirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittle squirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittle squirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittle squirt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

little squirt's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd, just installed my 50 radius and got the same crazy whistle..going to try the masking tape the lower fins and go for a spin to auto zone for some trimming pieces...Whoooot, hope this does it! Thanks TW

Old 12-14-2014, 08:29 AM   #20
little squirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittle squirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittle squirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittle squirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittle squirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittle squirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittle squirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittle squirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittle squirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittle squirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittle squirt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

little squirt's Tacoma Gallery
put test strips on and noise is gone!! Going to get some fillers and put them in the heat sinks to break up the hug open gaps all the way across.

and yes, I have a tree that poops on my truck everyday.....