1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Blacking Out LED Light Bar?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by TheNatural, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Dec 4, 2014 at 11:07 PM
    TheNatural

TheNatural [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Nelson, BC
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB
    Lots of bolt on chrome stuff
    I hate chrome, but I love to see where I'm going. The recent addition of a roof mounted LED light bar has made my truck way to shiny and I would like to black out the chrome bits behind the lens. Obviously the projector cone parts would have to stay shiny. Anyone done this? Similar to the Black Headlight Mod really.. just wondering if there are any issues I don't foresee.

2. Dec 4, 2014 at 11:13 PM
    TheNatural

Member:
    Fort Nelson, BC
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB
    Should have specified that it's a bar with the 10W Cree LED's.. so there's actually a significant amount of chrome bits around/between projector cones.

3. Dec 5, 2014 at 1:46 AM
    NightProwler

NightProwler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    '01 Prerunner, '03 cbr600rr, '09 R1, '03 cbr954rr
    Idk never heard of anyone doing this. It should be fine. If anything I think it might actually help, for those that have a roof mounted one. Because I'm sure it creates a little light shining off those pieces and creating glare on the hood or windshield that MIGHT just be reduced by painting it. Idk. Try it and let us know!!:D But yeah I don't see it causing any issues, except that you risk it not sealing properly when you reassemble. Even if properly resealing it. Only other thing I can think of as a con, is maybe there would be some kind of outgassing front he paint, of it gets hot in there from the leds. But I'm unsure how hot they really get. Mine never seems to get warm. On the outside anyways. But properly treating it and letting it outgas before assembling should remedy that risk.

4. Dec 5, 2014 at 6:07 AM
    TheNatural

Member:
    Fort Nelson, BC
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB
    I hadn't thought about glare on the hood! This mod would be full of benefits. I thought about it being less reflective making it nicer on other drivers too. I don't cover it ever... we don't have to here.

Properly re-sealing it is a bit of a concern. I have never taken one of these apart before. It looks fairly simple from the outside but I have no idea what they use for gaskets, etc. I saw a couple threads on repairing led light bars when I was looking for this so I might be able to find some info there before I get started.

I think if I use the same Krylon Fusion paint that I used on my headlights and let it sit for a while before reassembling I should be alright as far as gasses go.

5. Feb 16, 2017 at 11:19 AM
    MuddyIronman

MuddyIronman Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport
    K&N Black Hawk Series 71 intake Predator Bars
    Any updates on this project? Im about to take on an led light bar black out project myself! If so, what paint did you use? Did you reaeal with clear silicone or dynaflex? Other tips or issues?

6. Feb 23, 2017 at 2:05 PM
    krprice84

krprice84 Unforgivably right-wing

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 Taco AC TRD OR Silver Streak, 04 Kawasaki Z1000
    Taco is mostly stock... for now
    I would use high temp paint for it myself, just to be sure. I'd also bake the paint onto the light bar at a reasonable temperature.

Most high temperature paints will come with info regarding baking the paint to aid in curing and high temperature stability. I'd guess you could bake it at, say, 200 to 250 F, and I imagine you wouldn't melt anything (no guarantees, but an LED light bar is made to take the higher temps of an LED being driven at relatively high currents without any issues, so there's that).

7. Mar 6, 2017 at 7:12 PM
    TheNatural

Member:
    Fort Nelson, BC
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB
    Done and worked well. Ended up selling off that lightbar but because of wind noise, nothing to do with the mod.

Process was:
    -take light bar apart
    -remove all the chrome reflector bits
    -use painters tape to cover the actual projector cones. They need to stay chrome for full functionality.
    -spray a few coats of Krylon Fusion (I had some left over from my BHLM)
    -remove painters tape
    -realize that you peeled some of the paint off with the painters tape on one of the reflectors
    -redo that section
    -put the light bar back together
    -enjoy having less chrome.

My light bar had a silicon gasket that I reused. I didn't have any issues with the seal in the year or so I used it.

There's pictures somewhere in my build thread... you have to do the digging though!

MuddyIronman[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top