1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Halos burning out. What did you do?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Twinkie0311, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Dec 10, 2014 at 8:36 AM
    firetaco18

firetaco18 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Agree, they will fizzle out like every other fad. My opinion is that they will eventually become so readily available and easy to install, every ricer will have them. Kinda like how right now every a-hole puts in HID lights without projectors cause its easy and "looks cool". Halo's and led lights are next on the list and will soon be associated with douche-bagery. And I will have to rip everything out.

So true. It would be nice if a professional company *cough* TRS and Oracle *cough* could make leds that don't crap out from 24-48 hours use. I mean that's why people buy leds! They are supposed to last longer than halogen!

2. Dec 11, 2014 at 4:24 PM
    TRSJimmy

TRSJimmy All I Do Is Nguyen

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Gainesville, GA
    Vehicle:
    12' Mall Crawlin Peerunner
    I think heat is the main factor here. I know TRS recommend using a DRL harness or a relay that will turn off the led's when the headlights turn on for their new RGB halos.

3. Dec 11, 2014 at 5:34 PM
    Boogyman

Boogyman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phoenix
    Coos Bay, OR
    Vehicle:
    BSP 06 4x4 SR5
    Fox 2.0 IFPs, superbumps, LR UCA, Walker Evans and Dakars
    yall using the XB halos right?

4. Dec 11, 2014 at 7:39 PM
    firetaco18

Member:
    Afirm, mine look like crap. I only ever used them when the headlights were off and non of that makes a ton of heat so I see no excuse for this. I have had leds mounted in some hot places before (under hood work light) and they hold up fine. I just think that TRS needs to find a new manufacturer of their products. Not sure where they come from but they seem to be some Chinese BS. I doubt that its all made in America.

Again not trying to bash TRS as they are great with prices and customer service but I am just trying to be constructive as to the solution to this burnout problem.

I hope someone from TRS sees all of this.

BTW this is what mine looked like when I first noticed the problem. TRS replaced mine after I sent them this picture and I haven't had time to replace it so needless to say my halos look a lot worse than this now:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  5. Dec 11, 2014 at 7:43 PM
    Boogyman

Boogyman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phoenix
    Coos Bay, OR
    Vehicle:
    BSP 06 4x4 SR5
    Fox 2.0 IFPs, superbumps, LR UCA, Walker Evans and Dakars
    I did a little research on it because I have a set of retros I just built and I'm waiting to get a new harness and some halos before I seal them up and install on my truck. It looks like there are different generations of the XBs and the 1st gens burnt up really fast on any heat and the generations after that got better and better. Idk how to tell the difference but on one of the retrofitting forums the final verdict was the newest XBs on a 20 pin relay is what I think they called it to cut off with low beam was the best way. I'll try to find the link of the page

6. Dec 11, 2014 at 8:54 PM
    firetaco18

Member:
    For what it counts I have the 2,0 version which came out like last spring.

7. Dec 11, 2014 at 9:50 PM
    Twinkie0311

Twinkie0311 [OP] Mall crawling like a boss

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB TRD Sport MGM
    OME Lift w/ Dakars, TRD catback exhaust, 275/70/17 with SCS Stealth 6. and much more.

FireTaco that's how mine look right now too. Except there's just more of those spots around my halos. I'm not mad at TRS for this happening. Every time I needed a replacement part they have been really helpful and awesome about getting it to me.

I've also read that some people never have issues with their halos. I originally posted this thread to see what people did after having this happen to them.

1. Whether they just disconnected and left the halos on the shrouds or
    2. Baked and pulled apart the lens and replaced them or
    3. Baked and pulled apart and removed them altogether.

Should've made a poll....oh well

for now I'm just disconnecting them.

8. Dec 12, 2014 at 3:57 AM
    TRSAndrew

TRSAndrew Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    22 T4R Sport 6V7
    Sorry to hear of the few troubles here guys--as you know a negative comment gets made 9/10 rather than a positive one, so I am confident to say there are many many others with perfectly working halos that just aren't speaking up with reviews.

We recommend turning the halos off when the projectors are on as the increase in heat will definitely shorten their lifespan. Regardless, that is a recommendation only, so we're of course glad to replace them regardless of how they fail once installed.

Our direct email for getting this taken care of is support@theretrofitsource.com.

Unfortunately, we won't be able to send you butyl with halo replacements. Your roll should have plenty of excess should you need it--which you won't if you don't make a mess opening the housings.

9. Dec 12, 2014 at 10:35 AM
    XPOTRPR

XPOTRPR CNC Programmer/Machinist

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    [2009 Supercharged Adventuretruck] & [1986 22r Minitruck]
    > BUILD LINKS >
    :woot: for CCFL's! :D

although they arent as bright, or a solid halo.. they dont have the issue of burnt out LEDs.. I've been on the fence about changing my CCFL's out for LED's... I think I'll wait till these die.. whenever that will be. It's been about 3 years now I think.. and still goin strong.

10. Dec 12, 2014 at 12:30 PM
    NightProwler

NightProwler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    '01 Prerunner, '03 cbr600rr, '09 R1, '03 cbr954rr
    Yep I've got some on the inside shroud too closer to the hid bulb than the led is inside. I think I may just leave out the white leds when I redo my new set, and just have the ccfls in there. Plus the white really outshines the outside amber halo I have so I think the ccfl would look better. Kind of a mellow glow like the ambers are. Those white ones are just insanely bright. ha. Sad Trs no longer sells ccfls. Anyone know where to get em? Might order some new ones for the new retro instead of using the old ones.

Wait, it looks like you have the spyder or anzo halogen projector headlights right? I would think the leds would be fine since those don't get as hot. Maybe they do, Idk. But they are on the outside, and not inside the shroud right next to the bulbs.. Or do you have hid kit put in those?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  11. Dec 12, 2014 at 12:36 PM
    XPOTRPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    > BUILD LINKS >
    Oracle. the other place i was going to mention doesnt have them anymore either. im sure some google searching could find you some decent CCFL's from somewhere.

they are Ebay housings.. but everything else is TRS.. :cool:

Morimoto H1's. Morimoto 3Five ballasts. Morimoto 5k bulbs.

built them about 3 years ago

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  12. Dec 12, 2014 at 12:56 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    Ah I see. Grazed over page 8 of your build thread. Wondered if those would be easy enough to retro in there. Sweet. Now I can tell everyone whom asks about the eBay ones to retro them. And refer them to your build thread;) Or did you have a separate how to thread on those?

13. Dec 12, 2014 at 1:24 PM
    XPOTRPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    > BUILD LINKS >
    they were kind of a PITA to be honest.. as they werent a plug n play kinda deal. had to make them work with the different mounting points the ebay housing/projectors offered.

I do have a write up.. somewhat.. lol I didnt take a whole lot of pics..

14. Dec 12, 2014 at 3:06 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    Yeah but I figured it would have to be mounted like the custom ones. Or the housing extrememly modified to fit even a mini. But it looks like they were pretty close in size.

Trs should make some pnp adapters for those for us tw guys:) Well, you guys, as I'm a 1st genner;) But I still think that's a sweet setup. Those halogen projectors are pretty crappy from what I've seen. A little better with a pnp hid kit. But with a mini in there, there's no comparison :D

15. Dec 12, 2014 at 3:15 PM
    XPOTRPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    > BUILD LINKS >
    the housings did need to be modified some.. I have a ton of hours into these damn things.. it was trial and error.. and went through 2 sets of those Ebay headlights to get it right. but.. after about 3 years now.. wheeling.. weather.. etc.. they are still solid. so pretty happy with the outcome.

thanks man. the halogen projectors were absolutely horrid.. I had to modify em and add the Minis. :)

16. Dec 12, 2014 at 4:00 PM
    firetaco18

Member:
    From my perspective, I have seen both my halos fail as well as both that my friend got for his taco a couple months ago. I am not mad at anyone about this. I am just disappointed that these have failed so easily for me. Also, I don't even think this would have been a thread to begin with and me not ranting if they were easy to replace. Again, I do appreciate that TRS quickly sends a replacement, just unsatisfied with the quality.

Good to know, I didn't know that the butyl can be resealed. I thought it had to be replaced each time.

17. Dec 12, 2014 at 4:26 PM
    XPOTRPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    > BUILD LINKS >
    Once it's reheated.. the butyl works just like it should.

18. Dec 15, 2014 at 4:22 AM
    08FireRescueTaco

08FireRescueTaco 08Blue_Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Roanoke
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Manual 6spd
    2008 off road 6spd manual Procomp stg 1 6in lift Allpro hd expo leaf pack 16in fuel boost wheels 315/75r16 motto trail grapples Flomaster duel 40s exhaust Doug Thorley LTH Volant CAI Relentlessfab front bumper Fox 2.0 coilovers Prinsu designs roof rack Sport hood Urd short shifter Nfab side steps Bushwacker flares
    I have same problem and I haven't had mine 8 months....

Products Discussed in

To Top