Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

hid lights

Old 10-25-2007, 10:46 AM   #1
bao523 is on a distinguished road
bao523's Tacoma Gallery
hid lights

i wanted to put some hid lights on my 08 taco and was wondering if anyone out there has done this and what brand you would recommend. thanks
Old 10-25-2007, 12:12 PM   #2
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
now are u talking a full hid kit....or the replacement "hid" lights?
Old 10-25-2007, 12:46 PM   #3
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, people have done this. I've heard that the shape of the projectors varies for halogen vs hid lights. So, when you put an HID kit in there, there is a good likelihood that you will be blinding other people. Have fun.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:24 PM   #4
My68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
My68ur8trd's Tacoma Gallery
I run 6k in the headlights and 5k in the fogs.

The headlights are pretty tame with the shields on them

the fogs blind people.

UniqueEuroDesign.com has a nice kit

Justin
Old 10-26-2007, 10:56 PM   #5
Carolina Alliance: Midwest Firearms Division
TuRDTACO is on a distinguished road

TuRDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TuRDTACO
have any of you used the elegante black projector headlights with the HID kits? i melted my stock headlight today so i need to order a new pair but i wanted to just buy those, somewhat skeptical of the quality but the HID has a 1 year warranty so i figure i'll try it
Old 10-27-2007, 12:06 PM   #6
My68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRDTACO View Post
have any of you used the elegante black projector headlights with the HID kits? i melted my stock headlight today so i need to order a new pair but i wanted to just buy those, somewhat skeptical of the quality but the HID has a 1 year warranty so i figure i'll try it
how did you melt them

BHLM gone wrong?

Justin
Old 10-27-2007, 12:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by My68ur8trd View Post
how did you melt them

BHLM gone wrong?

Justin
thats a big 10-4 sir lol, i read up on the different oven temps and minutes cooking, came to the conclusion i should use the average of what everyone else did whcih was 310 degrees for 6 minutes. too much heat and too long in there, if you're going to try it i'd say do it at 225 degrees for 5 minutes and work your way up from there. i just kinda jumped into it, then when i opened the oven and pulled it out after six minutes i stood there looking at it like "huh, aint that some shit..." lol so yea dont do it that hot for that long, look at the pics on my member profile and you'll see exactly what happened but hey now i have a good story and a candy dish for halloween lol
Old 10-27-2007, 01:29 PM   #8

Quote:
thats a big 10-4 sir lol, i read up on the different oven temps and minutes cooking, came to the conclusion i should use the average of what everyone else did whcih was 310 degrees for 6 minutes. too much heat and too long in there, if you're going to try it i'd say do it at 225 degrees for 5 minutes and work your way up from there. i just kinda jumped into it, then when i opened the oven and pulled it out after six minutes i stood there looking at it like "huh, aint that some shit..." lol so yea dont do it that hot for that long, look at the pics on my member profile and you'll see exactly what happened but hey now i have a good story and a candy dish for halloween lol
305 and turn the oven OFF. put the headlights in for 9-11 min and it works fine. Ive done 4 sets now

you cant leave it on of they will melt. as you know now

Justin
Old 10-27-2007, 07:55 PM   #10

Quote:
305 and turn the oven OFF. put the headlights in for 9-11 min and it works fine. Ive done 4 sets now

Justin
now it makes sense lol, too bad nobody ever mentioned that before dammit haha
Old 10-27-2007, 11:44 PM   #11

Quote:

Justin
remember how i melted my headlight the other day because i didnt know to turn off the oven?? well i decided screw the HID projectors, i dont wanna take the chance of them being crappy quality so i'm just getting a used passnger side headlight and trying the black headlight mod again. anything else i should know before i fire up the oven again?
Old 10-27-2007, 11:47 PM   #12

also did u spray or tint the parking lights/turn signals/corner markers? i want to know every single thing about taking the headlights apart and what exactly to paint and then reassembly, i dont wanna ruin anything else!
Old 10-28-2007, 08:16 AM   #13

Quote:
also did u spray or tint the parking lights/turn signals/corner markers? i want to know every single thing about taking the headlights apart and what exactly to paint and then reassembly, i dont wanna ruin anything else!

There are many ways to do it, get creative

For me, I pulled the blinker lense out and the reflector out. taped them both and put them back. Panted it all black ( scuff it up first) then pulled the lenses back out ( leaves the chrome behind them). I smoked the turn signal lense and left the reflector orange.

Some people remove the lense and reflector all together and paint it all black. Some leave the reflector in, but paint it black to cover up the holes it leaves without it in there

or you can buy the already black set on Ebay for 200 bucks

Justin
Old 10-28-2007, 08:29 AM   #14
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
i permanently removed the reflectors from mine. i also removed the clear one for painting and sprayed the entire bezel black after i removed them. then i only put the clear one back on...didnt want the turn signal blinding anyone
Old 10-28-2007, 09:31 PM   #15

so do you wanna give me a run-through real quick for my next attempt at the black headlight mod? as far as what temp/time, OVEN OFF HAHA, but what to expect with prying off the lense and what tools to use so i dont crack the lense pulling it off
Old 10-28-2007, 10:48 PM   #16
909tacoma is on a distinguished road
909tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I should be picking up my hid's tommorw from my friend... I'll post pics when they're on..
If you want some serious hid's these Hellas are badass..

Old 10-28-2007, 10:54 PM   #17

damn those are bright haha. i was going to get the HIDs in the elegante black projector headlights but i'm just going to reattempt the BHLM and put an HID bulb/ballast kit in the stock headlight housings. supposedly the HID light output when put in a halogen housing is 5X the output when the HIDs are in projectors. i'll be blinding people 2 miles down the road btw heres the close up pic of my newly painted stock wheels
Attached Thumbnails
hid lights-wheel.jpg   hid lights-blkwheels.jpg