Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Looking for Off-Road Lights...Want Advice

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-26-2007, 06:04 AM   #1
argm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant future
argm31i's Tacoma Gallery
Looking for Off-Road Lights...Want Advice

Hey y'all,

I'm wanting to get some off-road lights to mount on my brushguard, and I was wondering if anybody had an opinion on them or had some good/bad experiences to share about them?

Thanks.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:19 AM   #2
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
No idea, but i'd love to see them mounted on a brush guard for a change. i see them on bull bars all the time but have yet to see them on a brush guard.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:21 AM   #3
argm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant future
argm31i's Tacoma Gallery
I know where you're coming from. Had a Tahoe a while back and did it...looks good if you do it right...just can't remember what kind they were. Also, it puts them where they can actually do some good when they're that high.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:33 AM   #4
Land of Oz
rhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rhoppas's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, I think they will look great on your brush guard. BTW, I believe your brush guard is the absolute best looking one I have seen on anyone's truck. If I were doing my bull bar over again at this time I would get your brush guard instead. Unfortunately, my only first hand experience with off-road lights is with my Pro Comp lights, which I absolutely love, but they would not look right on your guard.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:33 AM   #5
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by argm31i View Post
Hey y'all,

I'm wanting to get some off-road lights to mount on my brushguard, and I was wondering if anybody had an opinion on them or had some good/bad experiences to share about them?

Thanks.
I had someKC Titanium Slimlights on my 04 mounted on a westin safari bar. See picture. They threw light plenty far down the trail, and with a 23 year warranty on everything, even the bulbs, it's kind of hard to beat KC IMHO.

That said, the Slimlights are the most versitile light as they have nearly the range of a Daylighter, but can fit pretty much anywhere you want to put them, so they may be worth considering.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:47 AM   #6
argm31i's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the advice...I have a couple of questions...Are those metal stone guards? If they're plastic, do you have to worry about them melting?
Old 10-26-2007, 08:53 AM   #7
Land of Oz
rhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rhoppas's Tacoma Gallery
Those are plastic guards. Those are also 130W lights. I was blown away by how far away the light shines with my 100W ProComps. I can't imagine what a 130W bulb must do. Sweet!
Old 10-26-2007, 08:56 AM   #8
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Thanks for the advice...I have a couple of questions...Are those metal stone guards? If they're plastic, do you have to worry about them melting?
They are plastic, but I was out night wheelin' for about 6 solid hours once and they were fine. What's best is because they are the slimlites you can leave the stone guard on and still be able to get the little vinyl KC covers over them as well, and the less shit you have to take on or off before going to play in the dark the better.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:25 AM   #9
argm31i's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds good...any ideas on round vs. square/rectangular?
Old 10-27-2007, 11:36 AM   #10
fitter565 is on a distinguished road

fitter565's Tacoma Gallery
I have 4 of the Hella 500's on the front of my truck. Their only 55w but put out allot of light. You can get them in fog or driving, and the price is great. I picked mine up for $65.00 a set.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:11 PM   #11
Towing Guru

Quote:
Sounds good...any ideas on round vs. square/rectangular?
I'd stay with round on a bull bar/brush guard.

I think the only way that the 6x9 rectangulars look good is when there are five of them up on a roll bar. Just my opinion though.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:59 PM   #12
TJOPILOT will become famous soon enough
TJOPILOT's Tacoma Gallery
Here's my Hellas:

Old 10-27-2007, 10:31 PM   #13
Solo Member
kilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Kilo Battery 3rd Battalion 11th Marines 1st Marine Division
kilo's Tacoma Gallery
I've had PIAA and Hella. Had a lot of problems with the bulbs on my PIAA. They burned out fast. I had them for about 6-7 years and had to replace at least 3 times. I don't remember the model of them but at $500 a set they shouldn't of done that. My HELLA Black magics worked great. Didn't cost a lot of cash and never had an issue with them. I sold them because I didn't want old stuff on my new truck. Once I get the ARB bumper I'm getteing a set of the IPF 900XS and 800XS, round and rectangular, put on. http://arbusa.com/lights_driving_fog.php

Good luck and happy shopping!!!!
Old 10-29-2007, 10:03 AM   #14
argm31i's Tacoma Gallery
I'll be getting some as soon as i can pay off the brushguard...which should be within a month or so...hopefully...thanks for all the advice guys.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:14 PM   #15
fitter565 is on a distinguished road

fitter565's Tacoma Gallery
ndcouch, Thanks man. The funny part is that 75% of my mods didn't cost me a dime. I built my own sliders and light bar and the rest is what you'll find in the Toyota nation maint/mod section. So get busy and MOD that truck...
Old 10-30-2007, 06:48 AM   #16
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitter565 View Post
ndcouch, Thanks man. The funny part is that 75% of my mods didn't cost me a dime. I built my own sliders and light bar and the rest is what you'll find in the Toyota nation maint/mod section. So get busy and MOD that truck...
YOU get busy and fab me up some sliders and a brush guard and ship 'em to me and i'll get started
Old 10-30-2007, 10:47 AM   #17
argm31i's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, so here's what I'm thinking about doing...Hella Rallye Metal (black) lights and guards. They're 9.25 inches tall...I'm wondering if I should go with the compact ones (which are closer to 6 inches tall). What'd'ya think? Here's a Link.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:09 AM   #18

nd's Tacoma Gallery
There's no way i can even begin to tell you until i saw them both on a brush gurard. since abruch guard is already fairly "busy" and takes up most the front end i would venture a guess and say go for the smaller ones, but i really dont know.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:36 PM   #19
Solo Member
kilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Kilo Battery 3rd Battalion 11th Marines 1st Marine Division
kilo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ok, so here's what I'm thinking about doing...Hella Rallye Metal (black) lights and guards. They're 9.25 inches tall...I'm wondering if I should go with the compact ones (which are closer to 6 inches tall). What'd'ya think? Here's a Link.
I think you should go with what ever fills in your space best a possible?
Old 11-02-2007, 05:07 AM   #20
argm31i's Tacoma Gallery
So, I measured my brushguard...and it's about 10.5 inches in front of the grill (where the lights would go), so that means that if I get the 9 inch ones, it would take up almost 90% of the total area there...which means I'm leaning towards the compact ones simply to be sure that I don't block off too much of the airflow through the radiator.

Products Discussed in this Thread