Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Extra Light Come on with dome light help!!!

Old 01-15-2015, 10:19 AM   #1
Taco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Taco Guy11's Tacoma Gallery
Extra Light Come on with dome light help!!!

Ok heres the deal I have a set of running lights under my door they are a three wire hookup power for amber lights power for white lights and a ground wire. Right now the ember lights come on when the parking lights are on. The ground is just grounded to the body/frame. How can I get the white lights to come on when I open the door? I seen where people tapped into the dome light wiring but I cant do that if I move the ground to work with the dome light them the amber running lights wont work. can I use a relay some how to get this to work. I know how to wire but not good with wiring diagrams or figuring this stuff out someone please help me. Thanks!!
Old 01-15-2015, 11:47 AM   #2
adrenalnjunky is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenalnjunky is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenalnjunky is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenalnjunky is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenalnjunky is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenalnjunky is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenalnjunky is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenalnjunky is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenalnjunky is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenalnjunky is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenalnjunky is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
adrenalnjunky's Tacoma Gallery
in your case- you need a relay to switch a ground signal to power.

I dunno what the 2 colors of wire going to the dome are - but the following relay would do what you want.

In that - the 30 and 86 pin are tapped into the constant 12V that runs up to the dome, and the 85 pin is tied to the wire at the dome that is grounded when the door is open. This will then supply pin 87 with 12V when the door is open - that would be where you hook up the positive lead for your white LEDs
Old 01-15-2015, 11:49 AM   #3
Taco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Taco Guy11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky View Post
in your case- you need a relay to switch a ground signal to power.

I dunno what the 2 colors of wire going to the dome are - but the following relay would do what you want.

In that - the 30 and 86 pin are tapped into the constant 12V that runs up to the dome, and the 85 pin is tied to the wire at the dome that is grounded when the door is open. This will then supply pin 87 with 12V when the door is open - that would be where you hook up the positive lead for your white LEDs
Sweet I knew there was a way an that's kinda how I thought it would work but wasn't sure thanks for your help.