1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Putting on light bar, need help choosing lights

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Dirtboyz, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Jan 23, 2015 at 4:09 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Jan 23, 2015 at 4:18 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    HID up the 500s, they are plenty bright. As bright as brights just a more focused. With the 3000k yellow I can see 75 yrds down the road in the foggiest of fog. Drove to work the other day thru fog a dense as clouds but could still see the road very very good. Had 5000k fogs, low beam Philips XtremeVision halogens and Hellas on and turned just the Hellas off for a second and it was like I turned off all lights. They work great, highly recommend. I have the white covers but also bought these rockguards for them and took off the Hella badge........

[​IMG]

3. Jan 23, 2015 at 5:38 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah -----------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 4R ORP
  4. Jan 23, 2015 at 5:44 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah -----------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 4R ORP
    I have the N Fab bar and 2 Hella 500s. I like the setup. The Hellas are bright enough for my liking, I'm sure there are brighter lights out there but probably not for $60, and Hella is a quality brand. If you spend some time doing a proper adjustment, the lights are every bit as effective - and probably better - then your stock headlights.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Jan 23, 2015 at 5:59 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    There are some LED lights that I think look better than others. Avec's optic series, for example, looks great in my opinion. Some of the cheap Ebay light bars don't look good at all in my opinion. But overall, the LED look has grown on me.
    I can get pics up but they're not on a Tacoma. I sold the Taco, everything is mounted on an F150. The pods are 3" x 3" and have 6 LED's in each pod. The light bar is 32" wide and I don't know how many LED's are in that one.

6. Jan 23, 2015 at 7:36 AM
    Dirtboyz

Dirtboyz [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Spanaway, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCSB trd sport 4x4
    Front bilstein 5100 with OME 884 w/trim pack, 17" fuel trophy wheels wrapped with 32" toyot open country m/t, bakflip fibermax tonneau cover, Avec 30" led light bar behind lower grille, marathon seat covers in max 5 camo pattern, trimmed front and rear mud flaps, more to come.
    After looking around and with some of your guys help I think I have decided to go with the Cree series 30" led light bar from avec and I will be putting it behind the lower grille. Later once bamf, I think that is the company, gets the behind the grille bracket in stock putting one behind the upper grille. This route I will not have to retro fit anything and just slap the light bar on there and be good to go! I didn't really care for the led look until I seen some pics of a setup this way and I think it looks pretty BA. what do you guys think about going this route?

7. Jan 23, 2015 at 12:52 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
  8. Jan 23, 2015 at 1:22 PM
    NightProwler

NightProwler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    '01 Prerunner, '03 cbr600rr, '09 R1, '03 cbr954rr
    I think that's a good idea. you'll get a lot of light for your your money with just one light. I'll also throw out there that since you mentioned fog and whatnot, to see if you can get an amber cover for it.

And I hate to change your thought process after you've settled on what you want, but I'll throw this out there just in case you want more light later on. Because even with all the led bars I have, I still wanted more light thrown down range, as in spot lights. And all my bars are the 10watt led type, so they throw a bit farther than most other bars. I never considered halogen or hid spot lights, so I went on a search for the led light cannons. I got a sweet deal from Chas of MRT on a pair of the 4.5" ones. I haven't installed them yet because my truck is in the shop for repair from an accident:( But I'll be doing a full write-up/review on them as soon as I get my truck back. They're a little more pricey, especially if you consider doing 4 of them. But waaaaaay cheaper than the vision x real deals. Which these are replica/knock offs of the vision x. Looks exactly like them though... He's also got some 6.5" ones that are even crazier!

But imo, I would suggest your 30" bar, plus a pair of these 4.5" cannons maybe mounted on ditch brackets like I'm doing, and you'll have an awesome setup. Because I find that, from what I've seen in pics as well as my own experience, that most led bars are a lot of flood light regardless whether they are flood or spot beam patterns. Full spot bars are definitely better if you want more range, but still seem like they don't throw far enough... Also, there's a bunch of cool covers for the cannons too. And I think they would work great for fog lights with Amber covers on em.

I believe they're still $210 for a pair on his site. But I got a discount because I will be doing the review for him. He's only sold about 22 pairs he said last I talked to him. So I'm basically helping to promote them. So keep an eye out for my write-up in the near future.

IMAG1242_zpsmeep5s14_27444a9efad3d66e44a862657d9f28f1166f9fd5.jpg
    IMAG1243_zpshu51f9co_219eabbce8cbaeeec26bc3d95034b9da2df83ce7.jpg

9. Jan 25, 2015 at 12:05 AM
    Dirtboyz

Member:
    Spanaway, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCSB trd sport 4x4
    Front bilstein 5100 with OME 884 w/trim pack, 17" fuel trophy wheels wrapped with 32" toyot open country m/t, bakflip fibermax tonneau cover, Avec 30" led light bar behind lower grille, marathon seat covers in max 5 camo pattern, trimmed front and rear mud flaps, more to come.
    ^^ I'll have to keep a look out for it.

I just realized today that my Atlanta Braves plate is going to be in the way so I will have to take that off. I'm stationed in Washington where they require front and back plate and that is where I purchased the truck. Since I'm still a Florida resident where I was last stationed at I keep my vehicles registered there due to Florida not requiring emissions! So the dealership I bought the truck from already had a dealer tag in the front therefore leaving holes in the bumper so I just threw the Braves tag on. Is there a way to plug those holes with so,etching color matched so it doesn't look ridiculous afterwards? I was really really pissed when I got home a realized that the dealer tag was in the front already. I really don't want to have to purchase a brand new bumper just for the two screw holes in the front but I'm guessing it will get on my nerves enough in the future I will end up doing that.

10. Jan 25, 2015 at 1:06 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah -----------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 4R ORP
    I personally would just plug the holes with body panel plugs, from Lowes. See my above pics. If the black plugs bother you, you could paint them with touch up paint before installation.

The black didn't bother me since there are plenty of "factory" black plugs on the truck - including the foglight blanks, for example.

There is a commercial product available to plug the holes, which is discussed on TW somewhere, but you basically are getting color matched plugs for like $40, which is retarded.

11. Jan 25, 2015 at 3:59 AM
    Dirtboyz

Member:
    Spanaway, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCSB trd sport 4x4
    Yea I looked at Home Depot and fount the plugs and going to give that a shot. I really wished dealerships did not drill the holes in the front until the vehicle is sold in the first place. Lucky with my wife's Range Rover they didn't do it because we caught them before they put the tag on. Oh well.

12. Jan 28, 2015 at 10:43 PM
    Dirtboyz

Member:
    Spanaway, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCSB trd sport 4x4
    Just received my 30" optic led bar from avec today! Hopefully get it put it this weekend. When running the wires to the inside where should I run the wire? Do I use the grommet that already has wires running through it that you can see looking at the driver side firewall?

13. Jan 29, 2015 at 3:19 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
  14. Jan 31, 2015 at 5:31 AM
    Dirtboyz

Member:
    Spanaway, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCSB trd sport 4x4
    Got the light bar installed yesterday! I will try to get pictures up soon. Do any of you know where I can get a factory style switch like the fog light switch? I could have sworn I seen a factory fog switch with quick connects on the back so you can install aftermarket light with it but I cannot find it anymore to save my life! I would like to keep the factory look, sorry Avec.

15. Feb 1, 2015 at 4:50 PM
    Dirtboyz

Member:
    Spanaway, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCSB trd sport 4x4
    Finally got the light bar installed! Man it is bright. I read in post before though that mounting it on the crash bar behind the bumper that the only thing you had to do was just bolt it in using the brackets. In my case I had to use some spacers to get it to the right height. Did I receive the wrong bracket or something? Also I do feel like I have lost some of the flood light capability because most of the light I see is in the middle which I was expecting. Do any of you that have the 30" light bar behind the lower grille have any pics of a night shot for comparison?

image.jpg

16. Sep 26, 2015 at 12:59 AM
    Dirtboyz

Member:
    Spanaway, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCSB trd sport 4x4
    Bringing back my own tread but want to know will the rigid industries covere for on the avec light bars? I want to put Amber on there so I can run them in the winter and not blind on coming traffic.

17. Sep 26, 2015 at 2:08 AM
    NightProwler

NightProwler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    '01 Prerunner, '03 cbr600rr, '09 R1, '03 cbr954rr
    Dunno. But... It's still going to be too bright. And not just a little bright, I mean blinding bright... You should not be using it in traffic, period. Regardless of whatever cover you put on it. It might not seem that bright to you driving as the cover does decrease the output, but to oncoming traffic it will be. I have some little rigid srq in amber, not the srq2 or whatever the upgraded ones are, and even being so small, they are way too bright to use at night. I have them wired up to be used as daytime running lights. When my headlights come on, the srq go off.

18. Sep 28, 2015 at 11:12 PM
    Dirtboyz

Member:
    Spanaway, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCSB trd sport 4x4
    Like I mentioned before I would not be using them in high traffic areas only on the back roads were it gets foggy and I know Amber/yellow works better in foggy situations. And of course I would turn the lights off when on coming traffic approaches

19. Sep 29, 2015 at 6:37 PM
    alphataco

alphataco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle:
    13 acc cab 3" lift 15% tint
    20" tuffstuff LED light bar 8" LED light bar LED flood lights IPF spots 3" roughcountry lift custom push bar 10" kicker
    (302)757-4157 anyone interested in LED bars hit me up I own mayhem lighting. We have any size bar for a price your wife wont kill you for. And all of our bars have a life time warranty. wwwsquareup.com/market/mayhemlighting

20. Nov 29, 2017 at 1:33 PM
    Lumberjackcoma

Lumberjackcoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    The North
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma TRD & 2007 X-Runner
    I am now replacing my 4 Hella 500's with a 30" led bar. The Hella's were not bright at all at night.

Products Discussed in

To Top