Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Make Me A How To Video For $$

Old 02-13-2015, 01:34 AM   #1
TravelinLight is on a distinguished road
Name: Hayes
TravelinLight's Tacoma Gallery
Make Me A How To Video For $$

I'm a bit ashamed to make this request but I've done tons of research and I just can't figure this stuff out. I have absolutely zero knowledge or experience in wiring. I have a camper shell that has the OEM break light/interior light but the wires are just hanging. I want to hook it up in addition to the following.

-2 or 3 LED light strips that are operated by a switch on my dash and a switch in the bed. I've seen some with a dimming feature. That would be sweet!

-Extra battery that runs a power strip for a fan, computer charger, fridge, etc. Battery set up for optimum energy efficiency. (Only for use when camping)

-LED reverse lights mounted under rear bumper that operate when in reverse but also have a on/off switch on the dash.

I want to learn how to do this kind of stuff and I dont want to get ripped off having someone else install it at a shop. There are plenty of you guys that like to show off your skills. There are a lot of people like me that would love to see this shown in a video and would gladly pay for it. Message me and name your price...within reason.
Old 02-13-2015, 02:29 AM   #2
Artruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Artruck's Tacoma Gallery
Check youtube for camper shell third brake light wiring, or manufacturers websites. Its very similar for all trucks. (You just tap into the brake light wires)

There are many setups on TW for the bed lights, even a member selling a kit at a very reasonable price

As for reverse lights, it will depend if you have the tow kit or not (you don't list any info about your truck)

And the dual battery setup, there are kits for that too, but that is much more involved. If you have the bed outlet, there is a 400watt anytime mod write up too. If not, you might find it easier to just add an inverter. I have one with a low voltage shut off to protect my battery. (But I also have a manual so I can bump start it if needs be)

so, what year and model do you have? And how much power do you need for how long?
Old 02-13-2015, 07:47 AM   #4
boogie3478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedboogie3478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedboogie3478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedboogie3478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedboogie3478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedboogie3478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedboogie3478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedboogie3478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedboogie3478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedboogie3478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedboogie3478 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Brian
boogie3478's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by robssol View Post
If you really want to learn about electricity and electrical controls. Buy a book and take some classes. Not trying to be a a$$ just that it's a widely diversified subject that can't be covered in a couple of vids.
Good Luck
+1 Watching a vid might educate you, but there will be tons of missing information that is glossed over or completely skipped that ultimately make you more knowledgeable about the subject.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:03 PM   #5
Super Taco
mattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mattgecko's Tacoma Gallery
I make and sell bed light kits with a switch in the bed and a wireless remote for the cab.

I designed my lighting kits for the non-DIY to the experienced person. My kits come 85% pre assembled with everything (except tools) that you need to install it, including detailed installation instructions with pictures.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ed-lights.html
Old 02-14-2015, 09:57 PM   #6
clc clc is on a distinguished road
Name: Paul
clc clc's Tacoma Gallery
I could be wrong but I'm not sure you need a dual battery setup. My shell has a 12v charger in the rear thats always hot and I believe it's battery-fuse-charger. It was installed by the Leer dealer and could check for you. The cost of the dual battery setup could also be a issue. BTW I'm also a noob and I think with beer and pizza you could get some help.