Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Hella 500's in front of grill with no light bar

Old 02-15-2015, 08:09 AM   #1
Sig45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSig45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSig45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSig45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSig45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSig45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSig45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSig45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSig45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSig45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSig45 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Sig45's Tacoma Gallery
Hella 500's in front of grill with no light bar

So I've got some Hella 500 black magics I'm wanting to mount just above my bumper. I had picked up a Defiant 3 Tab light bar, but the thing is huge and now I'm not wanting to mount it (it's listed on the 2nd Gen marketplace forum).

I don't think mounting to the bumper is the best solution. Has anyone fabbed up some brackets that mount behind the grill with tabs that protrude through the grill (towards the bottom), so the lights can be mounted to those tabs. I thought I saw a thread on this, but I'm not finding it with the search feature.

Appreciate any other non light bar mounting options in front of the grill.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:01 AM   #2
Sig45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSig45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSig45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSig45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSig45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSig45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSig45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSig45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSig45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSig45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSig45 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sig45's Tacoma Gallery
Found the thread with the setup I was thinking of.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ar-lights.html

Anyone with something similar with pics of behind the grill?
Old 02-18-2015, 09:59 AM   #3
Curmudgeonly
MeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shedMeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shedMeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shedMeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shedMeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shedMeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shedMeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shedMeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shedMeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shedMeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shedMeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MeefZah's Tacoma Gallery
I initially was going to fab up some brackets that bolted to the radiator supports and extended through the bottom slots of the grille, basically having just a small bit of metal and the mounting hole exposed to the front of the truck.

I could not get it to look "right", symmetrical, or clean. Granted, I was using angle iron and a hammer and vise to make this, so YMMV if you have actual tools and abilities.

My solution was to install a small light bar (N Fab) which, of you care to see pics of with Hellas, is visible in my link below, 2nd to last page.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:49 PM   #4

Sig45's Tacoma Gallery
I have the honeycomb grill, but I think they are big enough for at least a 1.5" flat sturdy tab. I'm thinking if I can position a horizontal piece of angle iron (or steel or aluminum) at the correct level, I can easily attach those tabs so they come out just where I want (right along the bottom of the grill). Seems like this is what was done in the thread I referenced.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:55 PM   #5

Sig45's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
My solution was to install a small light bar (N Fab) which, of you care to see pics of with Hellas, is visible in my link below, 2nd to last page.
Are those spacers (white) that you have between the mounting bracket and the light bar? My Hellas seemed to fit tight on the light bar I have (but don't want...but may install to see how it looks mounted) with not much room for downward adjustment.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:42 PM   #6
Curmudgeonly
MeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shedMeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shedMeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shedMeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shedMeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shedMeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shedMeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shedMeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shedMeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shedMeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shedMeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MeefZah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig45 View Post
Are those spacers (white) that you have between the mounting bracket and the light bar? My Hellas seemed to fit tight on the light bar I have (but don't want...but may install to see how it looks mounted) with not much room for downward adjustment.
Yeah, hard nylon spacers from Lowe's. I had white ones in my bin, otherwise I would have gotten black.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:56 AM   #7
euroshowoff is one of the sharper tools in the shedeuroshowoff is one of the sharper tools in the shedeuroshowoff is one of the sharper tools in the shedeuroshowoff is one of the sharper tools in the shedeuroshowoff is one of the sharper tools in the shedeuroshowoff is one of the sharper tools in the shedeuroshowoff is one of the sharper tools in the shedeuroshowoff is one of the sharper tools in the shedeuroshowoff is one of the sharper tools in the shedeuroshowoff is one of the sharper tools in the shedeuroshowoff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

euroshowoff's Tacoma Gallery
Nylon spacers that I painted black. Lowes had a variety of sizes, these were the perfect fit for mine

Old 02-19-2015, 05:39 AM   #8

Sig45's Tacoma Gallery
Never thought of nylon spacers.....was planning on painting & stacking a couple of thick washers to gain a little height as all I need is about 3/8".

I check those out for sure....thanks!