1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Motor Energy eBay Headlights

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Urban Redneck, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Feb 20, 2015 at 9:11 PM
    Urban Redneck

Urban Redneck [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 3.4L V6
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Feb 20, 2015 at 10:52 PM
    NightProwler

NightProwler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    '01 Prerunner, '03 cbr600rr, '09 R1, '03 cbr954rr
    There's a discussion on these here;
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/266553-spyder-headlights.html

As well as a few other threads. Not the greatest. I like them myself. But am on my 3rd set. I did a retrofit in them and that solved he leaking issue. But they only last a couple years. That is, 2 summers here in az at least...

Edit: I hadn't noticed that it came with the hid kit as well. I would certainly pass on those. At least the hid kit. They're all the same really, and are probly sourced from China even though their shop is in cali. Another debate, is whether or not these China versions are cheap clones of the spyders. And that the 'real' spyders are of better quality. Although mine from China did arrive with spyder branding. Or at least spyder stamped on their sticker. Supposedly (I think) carid has these headlights as well and have recently dropped their prices to match eBay prices. But then makes you wonder if they are now sourcing them from China where maybe they didn't before. On reputable us retail sites they went for about ~$300.

So the question is. Are they worth it? Depends on your determination and patience. I absolutely love the look and am determined to make them worthy. So if you do decide to get them... 1st ditch the hid kit and get just the housings. If you wanna go hid, get a kit that's trustworthy like from theretrofitsource.com. Or retro projectors in them. Lastly, those dtrl's, you can get separately and add them in if you want them. But I wouldn't count on them being quality either.

Or ditch the while setup regardless. A lot of hassle with these unless yer super lucky.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Feb 21, 2015 at 5:56 AM
    Urban Redneck

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 3.4L V6
    Excellent info. Thanks for the schooling. Considering, I think I'll go with an HID kit like you recommended and search for a higher quality housing, maybe projectors ...

4. Feb 21, 2015 at 2:50 PM
    NightProwler

NightProwler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    '01 Prerunner, '03 cbr600rr, '09 R1, '03 cbr954rr
    Mhm. I would really consider projectors. Everyone here will tell you the same. It's really not that much more if you're gonna get a high quality hid kit. New housings aren't too bad either for the aftermarket oem type.. Look on rock auto.. And you'll have a sweet setup and get lots of praise from TW. There's also a group buy somewhere here. Really worth it. Plus Trs offers great warranties and have THE best customer service.
    Good hunting.

5. Feb 21, 2015 at 5:48 PM
    Urban Redneck

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 3.4L V6
    Sweet. I think that Group Buy is the ticket.

Products Discussed in

To Top