1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Interior Wiring Help

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by geodude, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Mar 11, 2015 at 3:33 PM
    geodude

geodude [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm about to put in a couple of small LED strips as footwell lights off of my dome light circuit. I'd like the lights to function like the dome light, on with the door open or manual on, and fade to off with door closing. Truck is a 2002 Reg. Cab 4x4 Base DLX.

I'm alright with a wiring diagram, and have a pretty good idea of how I'm going to go about this, but wanted to double check first as I know others have added these lights before.

My plan is to tap the hot wire of the LEDs into the Black wire (#11 out of Body ECU) and the neg wire of the LEDs into the Black/White Striped wire (#12 out of Body ECU). I've located these two behind the junction box, but it's so busy back there I plan on tapping them at the drivers side pillar.

Is this what others have done? Or anything obviously wrong about this plan? Appreciate it.

023il_Page_1_zpsc9a2jjna_304114801672ac083e5065946e64157c24a40d65.jpg

2. Mar 11, 2015 at 3:44 PM
    fergyz

fergyz Mmmm...Tacos

Member:
    49th State
    Vehicle:
    06' DBC 4x4 6spd
    i would advoid powering the LED's from the body ECU. an unintentionally short could take out the body ECU. i would find or run a fused 12v wire to a relay for those LED's.

3. Mar 11, 2015 at 3:48 PM
    fergyz

fergyz Mmmm...Tacos

Member:
    49th State
    Vehicle:
    06' DBC 4x4 6spd
    The body ECU provides the ground side to the dome light circuit. you can easliy tie into the the #12 wire to trigger the ground on the relay. pin #85 usually.

4. Mar 11, 2015 at 3:52 PM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    I think if you tap into the wires as planned you will be bypassing the switch and the lights will be on all the time. Instead of tapping into #12 go to ground. This would parallel the dome light circuit.
    Edit: instead of going to ground it looks like you would have to tap in before the switch to make it work. Fergyz may be on the right track with the relay idea, but you won't get the fade effect with a relay.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  5. Mar 12, 2015 at 9:13 AM
    fergyz

fergyz Mmmm...Tacos

Member:
    49th State
    Vehicle:
    06' DBC 4x4 6spd
    I still stand by on my comment on not pulling power from a 12v output from the body ECU.

as for the diagram above, i was going to recommend attching the ground wire at that exact point in the dome light circut. that will cover both manual and automatic turn on of the LEDs. I just don't know how easy or hard it is to do that. i have not pulled apart the dome light as of yet.

i will tell you, a fused power wire to the LED's is the best practice to prevent accidental wire fires.

a relay is not needed in this case if you tie the ground wire to that point in the circuit.

You will need a diode on the ground side wire. this will prevent 12v from the light circuit back feeding through the LED's if the positive wire is touched to ground.

it may be strange to hear.... but the dome light bulb to the overhead switch will have 12v to it at all time. once the switch or body ECU provides the connection to ground, this will allow the current to flow and bulb will light up.

so this will result having 12v applied to the ground side until activated.

hope that last part makes sense.

Products Discussed in

To Top