1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anzo Headlights

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by hogeyphenogey, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Mar 22, 2015 at 1:38 PM
    hogeyphenogey

hogeyphenogey [OP] Back in a Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    Lunar Rock 2023 TRD Sport 6spd
    I found a set of open box, new anzo headlights on eBay. I couldn't be happier. I used a thread on here for the install, do yourself a favor and put some painters tape on the bumper. It will scratch during install. I paid $129 for the pair. Now I have to wait for it to get dark as last night I noticed they are a little off.

image.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Mar 23, 2015 at 2:05 AM
    Ann1991ss

Ann1991ss Member

Member:
    some thing from the eBay is ......really don't want to mention it.

3. Mar 23, 2015 at 3:33 AM
    hogeyphenogey

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    That's the thing. I saw good reviews on this brand and went searching for them. They retail for over $220 on retail sites. I figured I'd check ebay and found them initially used for under $100 and new from the same seller for $129 and shipped free. If they are new, then I don't care what the site is if I can save over $100 in price and shipping!

But, as for the lights, the box was retaped closed but all original packaging, no manual included, but they even had the "Saran Wrap" over the lenses, no scratches or anything. I did go ahead and seal them with GE Silicone II but there were no gaps unlike the other brand and the no-names from ebay. I figured it wouldn't hurt to do it.

4. Mar 23, 2015 at 11:57 PM
    AkRyan

AkRyan Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '05 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    How's the light spread compared to stock headlights? Every aftermarket I've seen has or will have hot spots, uneven distribution, reduced output, or leaks. Good call on sealing. Generally speaking, retrofit > stock > aftermarket.

5. Mar 24, 2015 at 3:19 AM
    hogeyphenogey

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    My old stocks had this protective sticker covering on them from when I had bought the truck. They were not removeable and had sealed to the lenses and started to fog over.
    These lights do have two definite spots on the road, but they are also much, much brighter than what I had.
    Here in Mass, retrofits are a no-go and will fail state inspection. Stock lamps are way too expensive and I wanted the dark look that these provide. All in all, for $129, I'm happy with what I got.
    Honestly, the two spots I see in the road have been great in helping to avoid the wicked bad potholes. Our roads are trashed from this winter. As for dispersement, I would agree that the stocks did disperse better, but these are not bad. I don't feel that I've lost more than I gained from what I had, but again, what I had was terrible.

6. Mar 25, 2015 at 12:06 PM
    Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Don't taze me bro!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '10 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    TRD Supercharger + too much stuff to list. Click sig pic
    I'm surprised you found glowing reviews because when I was looking I found lots of people complaining about fogging & other quality related issues. I decided to stick w/OEM. There was one aftermarket brand that many people seemed to compare favorably to OEM but the name is slipping my mind right now.

7. Mar 25, 2015 at 5:06 PM
    hogeyphenogey

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    I took there liberty of sealing them, but when looking at them, I can say they look pretty damn sealed up from the factory. And the look and fitment were great. Having $150 or less to play with? I'm happy.

8. Mar 25, 2015 at 5:11 PM
    Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Don't taze me bro!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '10 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    TRD Supercharger + too much stuff to list. Click sig pic
    Depo! That's the name I couldn't think of earlier. Price is about the same or even less than the Anzo's and it sounds like they're made to OEM specifications and don't have the fogging issues I read with some of the Anzo reviews. If you sealed them up more on the outside before popping them in then you'll probably be good to go but lots of people aren't willing to take that step and might find this thread in a search so I just thought I'd add the name of the lights I was trying to think of earlier since I remembered it.

9. Mar 27, 2015 at 1:01 AM
    Ann1991ss

Ann1991ss Member

Member:
    The quantity of the products from e...is really not sure.

10. Mar 27, 2015 at 3:25 AM
    hogeyphenogey

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    So, if I paid $240 at Summitracing.com, or $220 at partsgeek.com, or $270 at Realtruck.com would I have done better? There are a bunch of sites including JC Whitney that sell this brand of aftermarket lights. I decided to see if they would be less expensive on eBay. I found that they were still selling for over $200 for the pair on eBay as well until I found a used set. When I went to that seller's page, he also had this set. Open box, new, never installed but missing the manuals. Just about 1/2 the price. Unlike many of the people on here, I actually have a budget. Not all of my money can go into top of the line products for my truck. And my old, oem lights were just not useable any longer. So I needed to do something. You can poo-poo all over the decision I made if you'd like, but I specifically stayed away from a non branded ebay set of lights, and for what I paid, I got a decent set of lights. The truck looks nicer, they were sealed and packaged nicely and I even added more silicone all around the seams. If I could've gotten OEM for $129 or if money was no object and I could have bought a $500+ set of OEM lights, I would've.

11. Mar 27, 2015 at 3:34 AM
    hogeyphenogey

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/348037-non-oem-replacement-headlights.html

This thread was my initial inspiration into the world of aftermarket headlamps after seeing a bunch of threads on here over the years. If you read this, the op even talks about the Depo lamps he bought for over $200 that had a 1/4" gap all around and that his instructions even discussed the fogging issues. He recommended GE Silicone II as a sealer. My Anzo lights were the same retail price, I found them cheaper and there were no gaps at all. I decided to seal them just for the sake of doing it. Took about 10 minutes for the pair and cost $7 for the silicone at Home Depot. I'm not saying everyone should run out, toss their OEM lamps and buy a set of these. Just that if you're buying a $220+ set of lamps, take a look at ebay and see if you can get the same ones for less. I did, and at this exact moment in time, I'm happy with the purchase. If something changes, I'll update this thread should they fog up, flake apart, wiggle loose, etc.

12. Mar 27, 2015 at 3:39 AM
    hogeyphenogey

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    Ann1991ss, do you have some actual facts or experience besides generic regugitation of "ebay is garbage" posts? Did you buy generic ebay lamps? Did you buy Anzo lamps and have a bad experience? Is there something about this set of lamps I should know? If you have no experience with these, then how can you share an opinion with no knowledge? If you DO have something to share, please do so. If there's something I should look for going forward with these lights, then please let me know.

Products Discussed in

To Top