1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

why LED?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by boatbuilder, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Apr 7, 2015 at 8:42 AM
    boatbuilder

boatbuilder [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Tonasket, WA
    Vehicle:
    12 regular cab 4 cyl 4wd
    A lot!
    Ya, I'm sticking with LED but will wait it out to see what shakes out in a true long distance spot. A 30 degree "spot" beam pattern is not what I would even remotely describe as a "spot" pattern. I want to outdistance my high beams. But, like you I am also going with a set of driving pattern with a lower, wider pattern.

2. Apr 12, 2015 at 12:03 AM
    jonstoyoma

jonstoyoma Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    fort st john bc
    Vehicle:
    13 trd sport dbcb
    Derp emblems, wheels, custom decals, amber flashy lights, canadian flag mounted, painted white exhaust lightbar 2nd fog lights
    I myself have a 22in lightbar in my lower bumper.. I installed it to provide a better vision for when I'm pulling my holiday trailer. As you mentioned in the original post about reaction time etc.etc.

I don't quite know where you get your numbers from but my lightbar shines up the entire road and ditches for a good 100 meters and then some. That gives me plenty of time to slow down and avoid hitting animals as I've hit a deer and a moose both in cars where the headlights were halogen 3400k and about a ft off the ground. I agree lots of people have em for looks but they do benifit for sure.

3. Apr 12, 2015 at 6:10 AM
    boatbuilder

boatbuilder [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Tonasket, WA
    Vehicle:
    12 regular cab 4 cyl 4wd
    A lot!
    You mean these numbers?:

"So, what I have been able to find with regards to distance on LED's shows that they go out about 100-175' of usable lighting. So, at 60 mph you are traveling 88' per second. With a reaction time of .5-.75 seconds you have no time to actually stop before you hit whatever it is. I have halogen lights on the front of my truck that have effective lighting for close to a 1/2 mile."

900' would be far better but I can't seem to get a consensus on that either. I would rather throw less wattage and a better beam pattern at the problem. Studies have shown that your eyes get tired with high lumen numbers for an extended period of time. It looks like you get 120 watts out of a 22" lightbar. I have 4-4" holes in my bumper I am trying to fill. All I can find are 4" lights with 27 watts a piece or 108 watts. So, close to what you have in your lightbar. Where I find the rub is that the beam pattern is what the manufacturer calls a "spot" which have a 30 degree beam angle. As discussed in a similar thread it's all about reflector and how the light source impacts the reflector. If I had to come up with a number I would say that 10 degree would be the maximum angle to be considered a spot. Like I said, I have a couple of 30 degree spots coming that I will play with and then decide. I can always use them to fill up the two 4" holes in the back bumper. In reality I'm looking for down road lighting in the quarter mile distance range, just like a halogen which is doesn't seem is possible in LED.

Thanks for your input.

Products Discussed in

To Top