1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How hard is it to tint your own lights?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by polkbassin, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Aug 4, 2009 at 9:57 AM
    polkbassin

polkbassin [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Lakeland, Fl
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD off-road package 4wd leveled tacoma
    15 percent tint and tint strip, 2.5 inch leveling kit,2 inch rear lift, spraypainted black rims, diamond plate railing, toolbox, exhaust tip, bug guard,ugraded headunit and speakers, glasspack exhaust, blacked out tails
    just wondering how hard it would be for me to tint my own lights, i dont really want to pay someone to do it. thanks

2. Aug 4, 2009 at 2:26 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    Headlights or taillights?

3. Aug 4, 2009 at 2:49 PM
    polkbassin

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Lakeland, Fl
    Vehicle:
    15 percent tint and tint strip, 2.5 inch leveling kit,2 inch rear lift, spraypainted black rims, diamond plate railing, toolbox, exhaust tip, bug guard,ugraded headunit and speakers, glasspack exhaust, blacked out tails
    both???

4. Aug 4, 2009 at 3:09 PM
    Viet2100

Viet2100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Viet
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius 4T
    I don't recommend tinting your headlights because you will lose visibility at night. If you have never used a rattle can then I do not recommend tinting your tails, either.

5. Aug 4, 2009 at 3:13 PM
    97Blk_one

97Blk_one Well-Known Member

Member:
    Memfrica
    Vehicle:
    not so low
    A whole lot,But not satify
    I don't know about tail light, I got pullover and told to remove it, or may be the cop have a bad night ?

6. Aug 4, 2009 at 3:13 PM
    polkbassin

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Lakeland, Fl
    Vehicle:

Ok. ill just buy aftermarket lights then. and i have a ton of experience with rattle cans, i painted my rims black haha

7. Aug 21, 2009 at 1:36 PM
    WiTEtaco09

WiTEtaco09 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brayden
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4
    Tinted tails, 5% tint all around, 3" tuff country lift.
    buy the NHT niteshade spray. Me and my buddy did it one night in my garage and it was really easy. We only did our tail lights but it was not hard at all. just took them off and sprayed about 6 even coats and bam it was done. And its translucent paint so it looks completely black, but you can see the lights when on perfectly fine. Easy Stuff. I have Never been even asked about them either by cops.

8. Oct 21, 2009 at 9:53 PM
    00taco

00taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    cali
    Vehicle:
    black 00 tacoma v6
    wheels, tires, sound system, hid headlights, 1st gen fog light mod, tinted tails hella 500s on custom light bar, dust light, led white guages/dash lights, color matched grille, exhuast, blacked bumper and accents....

do you paint the outside or the inside of the lense

(just wondering before i buy)

9. Oct 21, 2009 at 9:57 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Ummm, VHT lol :eek:

edit: I'm buying that nite shades stuff next week and doing my tails...then the BHLM :cool:

10. Oct 22, 2009 at 10:54 AM
    Sack17

Sack17 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Sanibel, FL
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma DBL Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    Bed lights Blacked out sport wheels blacked out emblems BHLM Spidertraxx 1.5" wheel spacers factory roof rack custom yakima wind fairing w/ PIAA off road lights up top snowboard/ski rack surf board pads fog light mod custom interior cup holder l.e.d. lights Bestop topper custom L.E.D. rear facing lights Maglite mod (2 front seats) 3.25" in the front 2.5" in the rear 6 Hella 500ff's (w/ Silverstar's) Silverstar Ultra's in headlights Silverstar Ultra in fogs (retro-fitted 65w 9005's) Hi-Lift (mounted on side of bestop) Shovel (mounted on side of bestop) custom 1.5" body lift
    I've been contemplating the VHT nightshades method and I even thought about one that I havent heard anyone else talking about. I've thought about using the BHLM and seperating the housing and taping off the bulb areas and spraying the inside red, black. Then putting it back together, I dont know if that will work though. I do like the tint method. Does it have to be vinyl tint or can any type of tint work, like some from Advance Auto or Autozone?

11. Oct 22, 2009 at 12:18 PM
    Sack17

Sack17 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Sanibel, FL
    Vehicle:
    Bed lights Blacked out sport wheels blacked out emblems BHLM Spidertraxx 1.5" wheel spacers factory roof rack custom yakima wind fairing w/ PIAA off road lights up top snowboard/ski rack surf board pads fog light mod custom interior cup holder l.e.d. lights Bestop topper custom L.E.D. rear facing lights Maglite mod (2 front seats) 3.25" in the front 2.5" in the rear 6 Hella 500ff's (w/ Silverstar's) Silverstar Ultra's in headlights Silverstar Ultra in fogs (retro-fitted 65w 9005's) Hi-Lift (mounted on side of bestop) Shovel (mounted on side of bestop) custom 1.5" body lift
    Nice...thanks man. So can you buy vinyl tint at retail stores? And what did you spray your 3rd brake light with?...cause it looks pretty good and bright when you hit the brakes.

12. Oct 22, 2009 at 6:41 PM
    Viet2100

Member:
    First Name:
    Viet
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius 4T
    You can paint the inside like the bhlm. It is a pain in the butt, because you have to dremel cut the light open. Even after that, the stock lens has a pink tint to it.

13. Oct 22, 2009 at 7:00 PM
    gjbonner

gjbonner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    I used NHTShades as well. 3 good coats did the trick and you can see the lights fine at night. they only have to be seen from around 300 ft. this depends on what state you live in of course. I just left them intact and taped newspaper all around them and covered the tail gate.

Turned out so good some guy followed me home for 10 miles and asked me where i had them done. I gave him the rest of my can of NHTShades and he did his the next day.

14. Oct 22, 2009 at 7:07 PM
    Viet2100

Member:
    First Name:
    Viet
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius 4T
    It all depends on the state. My state only requires one red light behind the vehicle from at least 300 ft. (my 3rd brake light) :p

15. Oct 22, 2009 at 9:45 PM
    gjbonner

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    i hear ya. i couldnt stand my 3rd brake light being so bright since my whole truck is blacked out so i ended up painting it too. I like it though. no problems with cops and the lights are still bright enough.

16. Oct 23, 2009 at 6:44 AM
    Sack17

Sack17 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Sanibel, FL
    Vehicle:
    So I did my third brake light last night w/ the VHT night shade and it didn't go as I planned. I wet sanded it down w/ 600 and after I sprayed the second coat of the VHT, it looked like I had taken a razor blade and made cuts all over the light. When I go to do my tail lights should I even wet sand them or just clean them well and spray the VHT and then clear coat without sanding?

17. Oct 23, 2009 at 6:53 AM
    EL TACOROJO

EL TACOROJO SNAPPIN NECKS AND CASHIN CHECKS.

Member:
    First Name:
    BURRY
    south mills NORCAK
    Vehicle:
    03 dblcab prerunner sr5 v6
    smoked taillights,smoked front turnsignals,smoked 3rd brake light,black badges,black roof rack,removed mud flaps,debadged, camburg 2.5 coilovers,camburg uca's, cobra 25 cb, 4ft firestick ant, dust light/bed lights , 4 hellas on the front
  18. Oct 23, 2009 at 7:12 AM
    Sack17

Sack17 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Sanibel, FL
    Vehicle:
    looks good, did you clear coat too?

19. Oct 23, 2009 at 7:43 AM
    EL TACOROJO

EL TACOROJO SNAPPIN NECKS AND CASHIN CHECKS.

Member:
    First Name:
    BURRY
    south mills NORCAK
    Vehicle:
    03 dblcab prerunner sr5 v6
    smoked taillights,smoked front turnsignals,smoked 3rd brake light,black badges,black roof rack,removed mud flaps,debadged, camburg 2.5 coilovers,camburg uca's, cobra 25 cb, 4ft firestick ant, dust light/bed lights , 4 hellas on the front
    i did mine with an alchol wipe down and 2 coats of vht nightshade no clear. the way i look at the nightshade its a clear coat with a tint added to it. the pass side has 3 coats so i need to even it up

20. Oct 23, 2009 at 5:39 PM
    gjbonner

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Do NOT sand... just clean them and spray.

Products Discussed in

To Top